Subject: OSDC deadline postponed

From: Gábor Szabó <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:55:28 +0200

Hi Hacker,

I know you like to compare programming languages and show off with the
one you fancy. So instead of having "who has bigger memory leak" contest
here on the list why not go out to the public and really show what you have?

We have postponed the dead-line of talk submission till 21st of December,
the shortest day of the year.

To remind you OSDC - Open Source Developers' Conference is, well,
a confernce for Open Source developers that will take place
between 26-28 February in Netanya.

We are looking for a few more talks especially in fields that are not
yet covered in the current talks.
For details and to submit your talk proposal see
http://www.osdc.org.il/

For already accepted talks see
http://www.osdc.org.il/presentations.html

regards
 Gabor

---

From: Eli Billauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:33:10 +0200

Hello all,

In some occasions I'm not allowed to choose my development environment, 
so I find myself writing C++ on Microsoft C++.net (2003 edition). I'm 
the last person you need to convince that there are better things in the 
world, as I have a dedicated Linux computer at home, and clearly prefer 
the GNU environment on anything running under Windows.

While attempting to write a fairly simple application on that 
environment, I run into all kinds of irrelevant problems, due to 
misconfiguration of the entire project, which lead to library collisions 
and other quite nasty things.

More examples: When attempting to write a multithreaded (console) 
application it turned out that there are several ways to do it, with no 
actual direction of which way is the "right" way to do it. The MSDN 
documentation just tells you *how* to do it assuming that you've chosen 
an API function set, but not a single clue about whether that's the 
recommended way.

There is no "community way" because there is no real community. Yes, 
there are websites with examples, but still, you can't really be sure 
that you're doing what you want the right way.

Another example: How do you write an application that uses an RS-232 
port? There are plenty of classes. Which one is the right one? I don't 
want to use an interface that will be obsoleted in the next version of 
Win%^#*$.

So I'm looking for an instructive book. Such I would read through once, 
and at least get the basic issues done right for sure. If someone can 
point at a site which does that, so much better, but somehow I doubt 
such a site exists.

So, recommendations anyone?

Thanks in advance,
   Eli

P.S. Ironically enough, I discovered a virus in the midst of writing 
this message, which was badly healed, which all in all ended with a 
reinstallation of Windows and a whole day of reconstruction. So again, 
no need to tell me what you think about Windows. ;)

-- 
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il

---

From: Omer Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:38:45 +0200

> Hello all,
[examplified whines skipped]

> So, recommendations anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764516264/qid=1134891270/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/002-6626281-1685607?v=glance&n=283155

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a3334aed-4803-4495-8817-c8637ae902dc&displaylang=en

>    Eli
[N.B. skipped]

[banners skipped]

--
Sincerely Yours,
 Omer Shapira