Subject: [Slightly OT] Improved MS-Windows Console - https://sourceforge.net/projects/console

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:18:01 +0200

Hi all!

Today I had to some work on one of my open-source projects on Windows. After 
using the default console window for a while, I thought I wanted to die. Then 
after searching Google for "windows console" I found this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/console

An open-source and free-of-charge improved console window for Windows. It has 
tabs, presets, copy+paste (using shift+mouse click), customisable background 
and most everything else we've come to expect from modern terminal emulators 
on UNIX like KDE's konsole. As a fallback, it can invoke the normal Windows 
console window, which can be used for the same session at the same time.

Enjoy!

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

God gave us two eyes and ten fingers so we will type five times as much as we
read.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:28:19 +0200

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/console

On Windows, I usually use cygwin, and run "zsh" as my console. This not
only do tab completion and history the way I want it, but is basically
the full shell I love on Unix and Linux, and I can use all the normal Unix
utilities (less, rm, etc.) and not their broken MS-Windows counterparts.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |        Sunday, Mar 22 2009, 26 Adar 5769
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |How long a minute depends on what side of
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |the bathroom door you're on.

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:13:00 +0200

On Sunday 22 March 2009 15:28:19 Nadav Har'El wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] [Slightly OT] 
Improved MS-Windows Console - https://sourceforge.net/projects/console":
> > Today I had to some work on one of my open-source projects on Windows.
> > After using the default console window for a while, I thought I wanted to
> > die. Then after searching Google for "windows console" I found this:
> >
> On Windows, I usually use cygwin, and run "zsh" as my console. 

Well, zsh is not a console - it is a shell. Generally, you open a console 
window and on top of it run a shell like bash, zsh, Win32's cmd.exe, etc. The 
point of my link is that it is a FOSS program that replaces the hideous MSWin 
console window with a more decent alternative. On top of it you can run 
CMD.EXE , cygwin's bash and I presume that zsh too. (I didn't try, but I don't 
see why it shouldn't work). 

> This not

I also prefer to use bash on cygwin, but:

1. Would still run it under this improved "Console".

2. Sometimes using bash/zsh on cygwin is not an option because it confuses 
MinGW32 and other native Win32 programs. I recently got an error when trying 
to build my program using MinGW32 because sh.exe was in the path. So I had to 
use CMD.EXE for that.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/ways_to_do_it.html