Subject: Wiki Engine Upgraded

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:51:52 +0300

I upgraded the wiki engine to MediaWiki 1.4.4:

http://www.hackers.org.il/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

Now I'll investigate how to turn on rel="nofollow".

Enjoy!

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish      [email-masked]
Homepage:        http://www.shlomifish.org/

Hacker sees bug. Hacker fixes bug.

---

From: Ori Idan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 10:34:03 +0300

And what are the main differences in MediaWiki 1.4.4

Can you talk a little about the upgrade process?

I installed MediaWiki in several sites and would like to consider upgrading.

-- 

Ori Idan

Shlomi Fish wrote:

>Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 10:59:47 +0300

> And what are the main differences in MediaWiki 1.4.4

Well, our previous version was 1.3.11. There are several differences between 
the 1.3.x line and the 1.4.x line. A very important one (that doesn't affect 
us) is that the tables that MediaWiki uses can be configured to have prefixed 
table names. That way, one can host several different wikis in one database.

Another feature is that rel="nofollow" was added to the external links by 
default in order to prevent spam. Another feature I noticed which I'm not 
sure if existed earlier is that the recent changes page now has an RSS/Atom 
feed.

For other features that were added consult:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_roadmap#Version_1.4

> Can you talk a little about the upgrade process?

The upgrade process was very straightforward. I renamed the old mediawiki 
instance so it won't be served. Then I created a configuration file based on 
a template found in the directory. Then I invoked a PHP script to perform the 
database schema upgrade. Then it was done, except for maybe some 
modifications in the LocalSetting.php file which I had to tweak manually.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish