Subject: [OT] Cheap computer's TFT screens

From: "mehlng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:07:43 -0000

I'm thinking of selling a cheap semi-laptop(semi as in small, no
battery) computer designed mainly for document typesetting. OOo or
even gnome office can run on a relatively old computer hardware and
there are  many guys that are too poor for new/used decent laptop and
need only worfprocessing utilities.
Most of the computer (miniITX, cheap HD and memory, or mATX) is small
enough and cheap enough (~600NIS) for this, what kills the enterprise
is the TFT screen, I cannot find anything less than 300$. I don't need
a good screen, I need any working screen.
I've seen PS one screens which seems fit, however I'm not sure
how/where to get it in israel as well as their availability.
http://tinyurl.com/5p84m [amazon.com]
http://tinyurl.com/4763c [amazon.com]
http://tinyurl.com/6afv2 [amazon.com]
Any details provided will be helpfull.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:36:18 +0300

> how/where to get it in israel as well as their availability.

Once upon a time, you could actually buy a "word processor" - not software,
but rather a piece of hardware that looked like a fat battary-less laptop.
Before computers were as cheap and commonplace as they are today, people
bought such word processors as a modern version of a typewriter.

If I remember correctly, these machines included monochrome displays, not
color displays. I also remember the first laptops with monochrome displays.
I wonder if people today are too spoilt, or if you could use such a
monochrome display - hopefully much cheaper than TFT displays.

Also, what are you going to do with printing? Having a printer embedded
in your word processor is extra great for those authors working in a
tiny studio appartment ;)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |          Tuesday, Jul 20 2004, 2 Av 5764
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Software is like sex, it is better when
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |it's free -- Linus Torvalds

---

From: Tal Rotbart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:05:17 +0300

I think your potential market is already shopping for used laptops for
around (1,000 - 1,500) on the Fresh.co.il buy/sell/swap forums...

Tal

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:07:43 -0000, mehlng <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Yahoo! Groups Links

-- 
/************************************************

  Tal 'redbeard' Rotbart
  Software Wizard

  eMail:  redbeard of gmail dot com
  Tel:    +972-2-671-6178
  Mobile: +972-52-896-5025

  Snail mail:
          Klozner 7/2
          Jerusalem 93388
          ISRAEL

************************************************/

---

From: "mehlng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:21:43 -0000

True, however my machine should be better and cheaper and newer.
Except from my experience it is not so easy to find decent laptop in
such a cheap price, decent used laptops starts from 2,000 minimum.
I'm thriving to hand around the 1,000NIS. the backbone computer should
be around the 600NIS and a PSone screen is around the 500NIS (100$) so
if I'll find a parallel price reliable screen I can sell a 800Mhz
small (as in can-height, shoebox width) computers for 1200NIS and
probably for less if using used HD and worse hardware (CPU,
motherboard). I think many people will benefit from that.
--- In [email-masked], Tal Rotbart <redbeard@g...> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:07:43 -0000, mehlng <mehlng@y...> wrote:

---

From: Tal Rotbart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:40:13 +0300

I don't know about you, but word processing on a five inch screen,
sounds a little problematic to me. But maybe I am spoiled.

In any case, good luck with your venture :)

Tal

  Tal 'redbeard' Rotbart
  Software Wizard

  Snail mail:
          Klozner 7/2
          Jerusalem 93388
          ISRAEL

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:46:56 +0300

> sounds a little problematic to me. But maybe I am spoiled.

I agree. A bigger (even better: paper size with paper aspect ratio) screen
which is monochrome is better, I think, than a tiny color display.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |          Tuesday, Jul 20 2004, 2 Av 5764
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |AlGoreithm, n: Repeating a calculation
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |until a prior desired result is produced.

---

From: "mehlng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:51:07 -0000

> which is monochrome is better, I think, than a tiny color display.
I heartly agree as well, however I have no idea where can I get such a
screen. I actually have no idea where can I get any screens at all
without too much super-special features (.28 inches, picture sharpness
etc.) for less than 300$-400$, and if anyone knows something about it
I'll be glad to hear
> nyh@m...             |-----------------------------------------

---

From: "mehlng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:48:09 -0000

> sounds a little problematic to me. But maybe I am spoiled.
You're not spoiled - you can afford more. Beggars can't be choosers
they say, and so are people who want computer for ~1000NIS. There are
laptops with similar screens so that's why I think it's possible, but
if you heard of other screens which does not support .28 pixel, TV-in
viewable from angel, but costs less than 300$ (minimal price) I'll be
glad to hear about that.
> In any case, good luck with your venture :)
Thanks for your wishes
> 
> Tal
> 
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:21:43 -0000, mehlng <mehlng@y...> wrote: