Subject: [Fwd: [bidi] Re: math in arabic -- w3c mathml group looking for contributions (fwd)]

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 23:49:27 +0200

In the case of Hebrew, the answer, which comes to my mind, is to treat 
all formulae like LTR text embedded into whatever text it finds itself in.

Now, are there practicing mathematicians in Hackers-IL, who can tell us 
whether the above answer is satisfactory.  Or, whether more complicated 
rules are needed (to cover pathological cases)?  This is the relevance 
to Hackers-IL.
                                              --- Omer
My own blog is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/tddpirate/

My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

Subject: [bidi] Re: math in arabic -- w3c mathml group looking for contributions (fwd)
From: Behdad Esfahbod <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:29:24 -0500
List-Id: Discussions on bidirectional scripts and layouts <bidi.freedesktop.org>

FYI.

--behdad
  behdad.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 14:53:09 -0500
From: Asmus Freytag <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Robert Miner <[email-masked]>
Subject: [bidi] Re: math in arabic -- w3c mathml group looking for
    contributions

All,

I got this message recently that may be of interest to members of this
group. To follwo up, please contact Robert as needed.

A./

>Hello All.
>
>One area where MathML is lacking is a specification of how it should
>be used in right-to-left languages, particularly Arabic.
>
>This issue came up during the work on MathML 2.0, and resulted in the
>addition of section 3.1.5.  This section says that the Unicode
>bidirectional algorithm should be followed for the text within token
>elements, but that MathML 2.0 doesn't address the general question of
>right-to-left layout.  The reason for that was simply that, the Math
>Working Group was unable to find enough examples and/or experts in the
>time available to be confident an attempt to describe how MathML
>should work in right-to-left text would get it right.
>
>Since then, however, a several groups have looked at using MathML in
>Arabic, and a number more have expressed interest in being able to do
>so.  Consequently, the current Math Interest Group believes the time
>is ripe to start a public discussion of the issue, with the goals of:
>
>1) Involving enough people from right-to-left language communities,
>    particularly Arabic-speaking, to be able to make an authoritative
>    statement about how math should be handled.
>
>2) Assuming 1 can be done, compiling an authoritative statement of
>    the rules of right-to-left math typesetting, and specifically how
>    MathML should be used for right-to-left mathematics.
>
>3) Assuming 1 and 2 can be accomplished, preparing a document with
>    official status to disseminate the result of 1 and 2 such as a W3C
>    Note, or perhaps a new version of MathML at some point.
>
>To get things started, I invite anyone with expert knowledge of math
>in Arabic or other right-to-left languages to post a brief
>introductory message.  Pointers to examples, articles, projects or
>other useful background information would be especially welcome.  If
>you aren't yourself an expert, but know someone who is, please draw
>their attention to this discussion.
>
>Thanks,
>
>--Robert
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------
>Dr. Robert Miner                                [email-masked]
>W3C Math Interest Group Co-Chair                      651-223-2883
>Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com
>------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
bidi mailing list
[email-masked]
http://freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/bidi

.