Subject: PHP personal site script

From: "Tzahi Fadida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:54:45 +0200

does anyone knows a php script for personal pages. i.e. i want to put my CV,
picture, publications, some files, and a forum for my small on the side
developments.
I don't have any artistic capabilities, so i am hoping to find something with
good taste.

10x.

* - * - *
Tzahi Fadida
MSc Student
Information System Engineering Area
Faculty of Industrial Engineering & Management
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
Technion City, Haifa, Israel 32000
Email [email-masked]
Technion Email: [email-masked]
* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/spamwarning.html

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:05:26 +0200 (IST)

> picture, publications, some files, and a forum for my small on the side

Well, for your CV, picture, publications and the files you don't need PHP
or anything similar, you just need a web space where you can place static
HTML files. It's faster and safer, but may not be what you are looking
for.

I can recommend Web Meta Language to maintain the site:

http://thewml.org/
http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/lecture/WebMetaLecture/

For a forum you can take a look at PHP-BB, or phorum (http://phorum.org/)
or others:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Internet/Servers/Message_Boards/

There are also more serious content management systems that can give you
what you need. Take a look at:

http://www.la-grange.net/cms

(+ Tiki Wiki and others)

> I don't have any artistic capabilities, so i am hoping to find something with

That's all right. All you need to do is design a nice page layout with
good HTML and then apply a CSS stylesheet to it until it looks nice.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> To visit your group on the web, go to:
>  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hackers-il/
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>  [email-masked]
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
>  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/

An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
doctors away.

	Falk Fish

---

From: "Tzahi Fadida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:02:00 +0200

well, its not that i don't know how to create things myself. I have the
technical skill for this. but from past experience
as it comes to designing a site i have terrible skills. i have an ugly page i
put some of my stuff, but i am not going
to present it since, as i said, its ugly. I saw people who have nice personal
pages.

do you know of some template i can use? i.e. like the web meta lang
sites,etc.(but pretty) with all the gifs and icons.
10x.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Shlomi Fish [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 4:05 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [hackers-il] PHP personal site script
>
>
> > WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/spamwarning.html

	Falk Fish

Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:56:09 +0200 (IST)

> to present it since, as i said, its ugly. I saw people who have nice personal

What is your idea of a nice personal page?

Is my web site (http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/) what you would call a
nice personal page?

> sites,etc.(but pretty) with all the gifs and icons.

gifs and icons? First of all let me say, that it is usually unnecessary to
put such embelishments on your site if all you want is to make it look
nice. CSS can do wonders without any graphics.

Secondly, you can search for such suitable templates. You can find a lot
of good graphics, here:

http://www.grsites.com/

And in other places. Google is your Friend.

I just don't really know what you want.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

	Falk Fish

---

From: Sagi Bashari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:49:03 +0200

>sites,etc.(but pretty) with all the gifs and icons.

http://oswd.org/ - Open Source Web Designs

Sagi

---

From: "Tzahi Fadida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 00:01:41 +0200

they want money, no?

> From: Sagi Bashari [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 9:49 PM

---

From: "Tzahi Fadida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 00:24:18 +0200

yeah your site is not bad. I was also looking for some small graphics, but i
think i can google for those.
However, i really like the straightforwardness of your site and definetly gonna
check into it.
might i ask how much time did you invest into creating the main page and some of
the cv stuff?

* - * - *
Tzahi Fadida
MSc Student

> Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 8:56 PM
> Subject: RE: [hackers-il] PHP personal site script
>
>

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:48:04 +0200 (IST)

> they want money, no?

Not unlikely, it is after all "_open source_ web designs", and the
description says:

<<<
Open Source Web Design is a community of designers and site owners freely
sharing designs as well as design information.

So, if you saw it there, you can freely borrow it.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

	Falk Fish

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:15:29 +0200 (IST)

> think i can google for those.

Google and the dmoz.org/Google directory indeed have a lot of useful
resources. You can also refer to http://www.grsites.com/.

> might i ask how much time did you invest into creating the main page and some of

Well, my original site was maintained by hand on the t2 and vipe servers.
Thus, it had no navigation bar, no consistent CSS stylesheet, and so forth
because these things are difficult to maintain by hand across all pages.

About a year ago, I imported the contents of the home page to a Subversion
repository and started to convert it to Web Meta Language and to CSS. The
homepage was just part of it, and using Web Meta Language I was able to
apply the same consistent look and feel to the other pages easily. (and
make sure it remains consistent upon modification). Now, the main contents
of the home page itself grew organically as I added things there before
the conversion to WML/CSS. The crafting of the unified look (navigation
bar, CSS, etc) took some time and was based on previous sites I
prepared that were maintained using WML. One of the things that slowed me
down was that the built-in navigation bar of WML is quite crappy and full
of ugly JavaScript code, that I had to write my own logic for that.

I think the WMLization and CSS took some good hours, possibly 6-10 hours
in total. Of course, you can now build on my efforts, as the code for my
site is available online.

As for the C.V.: my resume started as a Word document in Hebrew. I
eventually translated it into English, and then used the Word
built-in conversion to convert it to HTML. This created relatively ugly
HTML, so I ended up transcribing it to proper HTML by hand. Then, at one
job interview I was requested to present a more detailed C.V., so I added
the relevant paragraphs as a text to a separate page.

Afterwards, I created one master version for both pages using WML
conditionals.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

	Falk Fish