Subject: Hackers-IL Meetings

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 18:09:06 +0200 (IST)

An idea surfaced through the Israeli Perl Mongers list in which it was
proposed that Hackers-IL will hold regular meetings (like once a
month).

I think it's a great idea, and could testify that the Israeli Perl Mongers
group really took off after we started holding meetings on a regular
basis. This list has been a bit quiet lately, and it is possible that the
lack of real-life activity has been decreasing its momentum.

Possible formats for the meetings:

1. Meetings at a Cafe and just chatting and eating.

2. Meetings at a lecturing Hall and hearing a lecture or a few small ones.

What does everybody else think?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/

An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
doctors away.

	Falk Fish

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 00:47:31 +0200

> proposed that Hackers-IL will hold regular meetings (like once a

I think that such meetings are indeed fun, and I believe we held two of
them (one at Chen's, and one at my place).

However,

> 1. Meetings at a Cafe and just chatting and eating.

Doing this on a monthly basis will be tiresome, and will probably create
subgroups (like "hacker-il subscribers who live in Tel-Aviv"). It's also
hard to miss work and/or change your other plans once every month for this
purpose....

In the two meetings we already had (which took place at roughly a year
interval) we did not get anything near a full attendance. If we do this
monthly, the attendance will be even smaller, I think.

But maybe I'm wrong and it's worth a try...

Anyway, instead of declaring a monthly meeting, how about declaring *a*
meeting, to take place next month (say), at this-and-that-place (an apartment,
caffe, or whatever) with that-and-that things planned? As you make such
plans, you might notice that it won't be easy to fill 12 meetings a year
with content (other than the social content of meeting and eating).

> 2. Meetings at a lecturing Hall and hearing a lecture or a few small ones.

I believe that MosheZ once had the very intersting idea of letting many people
give very short talks on whatever computer-related they want. However, I'm
still skeptic that if we meet more than once a year you'll be able to fill
the meetings with content.
But again, this is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |        Sunday, Oct 5 2003, 9 Tishri 5764
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Software is like sex, it is better when
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |it's free -- Linus Torvalds

---

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:18:42 +0200

> with content (other than the social content of meeting and eating).

That's more hackers-il in spirit. I don't see much point in a
hackers-ilix club, with regular meetings. So, who wants to propose a
place and a date? 
-- 
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:56:53 +0200 (IST)

> hackers-ilix club, with regular meetings. So, who wants to propose a

The question is which of the two agendas are we going to follow? How many
favour the unorganized meeting, and how many favour something with
presentations?

I'm in favour of meeting at a cafe.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

	Falk Fish

---

From: Orna Agmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 17:34:42 +0200 (IST)

> But again, this is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

I agree that monthly meetings are too much. But I am for neither of the
suggestions (listen to one person talk / eat). I think it would be more
fun if we actually did something, like the bookcrossing we had last year
(?!), like a roleplay game, like pictionary :), a costume party- something
social in nature, and interactive, yet more special that eating and
talking all evening just to the person next to you in the restaurant.

Orna.

---

From: "Exy The ...." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 16:33:27 +0200

those perl meetings, are they going to be open for public?
i am kinda young comparing to you guys and i would really
like to take a place in one of those meetings...

---

From: Gabor Szabo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 11:28:12 +0200 (IST)

> like to take a place in one of those meetings...

sure, anyone can come we only ask for confirmation so we have a
grasp of figures before the meeting. Age/gender/religion/etc.
are not limited.

Our next meeting is this Thursday 9-Oct-2003. See further details at
http://www.perl.org.il/meeting.html

Gabor

-- 
Gabor Szabo
Perl in Israel
http://www.pti.co.il/