Subject: Hypertext Bombs

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:54:53 +0300 (IDT)

Hi!

I was once told in a private E-mail that Google loved Advogato
(http://www.advogato.org/) very much. Perhaps the reason it does is that
Advogato is what I call a "hypertext bomb". What I mean is that it
contains a large number of pages and the pages are densly linked to each
other.

It goes like this:

1. Every person has his own page.
2. Every project has its own page.
3. A certified developer is linked from the certifier page.
4. A certifier is linked from the certified developer page.
5. A person has links to each one of the projects he takes part in.
6. A project links to all of its members.
7. Every editorial contains links to its poster and to the commentors.
8. People occasionally link to each other's pages in their diary entries,
which are also reachable from their pages.
9. There are links from the pages to the outside or vice versa.

This creates a deeply nested web of hyperlinks that Google seems to like
due to its hypertextual nature. Note that it still contains a lot of
separate sites, because people treat their own homepages as their own
sites.

Do you know of any other prominent hypertext bombs?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/

My opinions may seem crazy, but they all make sense. Insane sense, but
sense nonetheless.

---

From: "Ron Gidron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 14:57:25 +0200

Hi,

I am planning a new website that is based on HTML::Mason
(http://masonbook.com). I started to search for a hosting provider and I was
startled by the amounts of companies out there. I am looking for an
experienced voice. my basic demands from the server are:

1 - Linux based (Not to familliar with FreeBSD and Solaris is out of the
question).
2 - Apache and mod_perl installed.(preferably with mod_perl statically
linked and not as DSO)
3 - SendMail (I want to mess with the SendMail configurations for some
specific application needs)
4 - MySQL server installed.

Obviously I would like to have as much of the "usual" staff as I can (SSL /
SPAM Assassin / as much bandwidth and disk space as I can get etc..)

I would appriciate any adivce I can get, where to go ? what to look out for
? etc..

Regards
Ron Gidron

---

From: "Tzahi Fadida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 15:18:57 +0200

If you are willing to compromise on some of the requirements you will find the free service, or paid
if you want to remove the ads, and add some more capabilities.
http://www.tripod.lycos.co.uk/
they freely give you, php scripting, mysql, around 50mb, ftp access.
i use it for some time now, and it is not bad.
here is my almost completely abandoned site :( :
http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/

* - * - *
Tzahi Fadida
[email-masked]
Technion Email: [email-masked]
* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/spamwarning.html

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ron Gidron [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2003 2:57 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [hackers-il] Hosting advise
>
>
> Hi,
>
> question)
> 4 - MySQL server installed
>
> ? etc.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>
>
>

---

From: Gabor Szabo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 08:05:01 +0300

> I would appriciate any adivce I can get, where to go ? what to look out for

I'd suggest to ask suc thing on a nearby Perl Mongers list. There at 
least they won't send you to a php hosting company when you are looking 
for mod_perl.

I think no shared hosting company will let you do all the above so I 
think to fulfill all your needs you'll have to get a dedicated server or
a virtual server.

In the former case you rent a full servers somewhere, I belive the best 
deals can be as low as $100/month. I have been using www.dialtone.com 
for years but there the cheapest is $150/month.

A virtual server is some kind of a hack on linux where you have full 
root rights, I think you can even reboot your own virtual server but
actually there are several such virtual servers on the same machine.
I have never used such a system but I have seen a short discussion about 
it on London.pm look at their archives.

A third solution might be to buy a server and co-locate it at an ISP.
IIRC Actcom provides co-location for 130 USD/month. While in this
case you have to buy and maintain the hw as well you can build and 
co-locate any server for the same price.

Gabor

-- 
Gabor Szabo

Perl Training Israel         http://www.pti.co.il/
Phone:  08-973-2897          Mobile: 054-624648

Perl User Group in Israel    http://www.perl.org.il/