Subject: GMAIL accounts

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:07:36 +0300

Hi all

The first 3 persons to reply to me - privately please - will get a
GMAIL invitation.

-- Arik

---

From: Ori Idan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:07:33 +0300

I would be happy to get it if you have spare gmail account...

--
Ori Idan

Arik Baratz wrote:

>Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: Adir Abraham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:51:06 +0300 (IDT)

On this happy note - I will give 3 invitations as well (reply privately
please).

	Adir.

---

From: Dan Kenigsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 06:15:11 +0300

Ahh, finally their pyramid scheme is collapsing, and an invitation worths just
about nothing. and that includes coolness, too.

-- 
Dan Kenigsberg        http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~danken        ICQ 162180901

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 09:38:57 +0300

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 06:15:11AM +0300, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> Ahh, finally their pyramid scheme is collapsing, and an invitation 
> worths just about nothing. and that includes coolness, too.

Nice to hear. 

Tzafrir, proud for not having a GoogleMail account.

(or am I being paid-off by Yahoo to preach againt Google on a
YahhoGroups list?)

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen                       +---------------------------+
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir/ |vim is a mutt's best friend|
mailto:[email-masked]       +---------------------------+

---

From: Adir Abraham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:56:07 +0300 (IDT)

> about nothing. and that includes coolness, too.

I'm not sure that it is collapsing. Maybe they are doing this on purpose?
It's still a nice way to control mass-openings of accounts to send spam
from. After all, they would want to open this to the public, sooner or
later.

---

From: Adir Abraham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:58:27 +0300 (IDT)

> Tzafrir, proud for not having a GoogleMail account.

Why proud? What there is to be proud of? Gmail is very convenient, and is
quite a revolutionary regarding (spam) free mail services. Most articles
from last year, that compare between 2MB accounts and 4MB accounts, are not
relevant anymore.

	Adir.

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 10:28:06 +0300

> about nothing. and that includes coolness, too.

This wasn't a pyramid scheme, and IMO the invitations are still worth
something - they allow you to get your desired username without adding
a random 3 digit number to it.

I don't know about you, but for me it never was about coolness. It's
about a great web-mail system that I use mainly for mailing lists, and
has nice features that no combination of news reader and archive site
will otherwise give me.

If you don't want or need it, that's okay; but you have no reason to
bask in your un-gmail-ness and feel righteous about it because...
well... there's nothing to feel righteous about. It's just a fscking
web-mail account. Either use it or don't. All I offer is a chance to
have one with a sane username.

-- Arik

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 10:34:36 +0300

> Tzafrir, proud for not having a GoogleMail account.

Well, you can be proud of not having a gmail account, which is saying
as much as if I would be proud of not picking up a Shekel I saw on the
street today.

> (or am I being paid-off by Yahoo to preach againt Google on a

I know it's difficult to see, and it's a bit confusing, but, Tzafrir,
Google is not a religion. I know, it's a bit tough to hear, you
probably need some time to get used to this radical idea, but that' s
how it is. No religion.

So there's no point in preaching for and against Google. Unless you
are getting paid by Yahoo, in which case I'd like to get paid to
preach as well, and I don't really care what for or against, as long
as the money's good.

-- Arik

---

From: Ori Idan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 10:33:41 +0300

Arik, are you getting paid by google to preach for their system? :-)
I don't think it is a proud to not have an account, neither it is a 
proud to have one...
This is another mailing system if you want you can use it if you don't 
you don't have too.

However if this is a new way of starting a flame war, other then what 
text editor you are using or what Programming language
you prefer so this is Ok, these flame war, done politly are a nice show :-)
I have a gmail account.
I use VI and like C...
and almost forgot the distor war... I am using Debian.

--
Ori Idan

---

From: Adir Abraham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 10:48:50 +0300 (IDT)

I believe that what Arik tries to say is that Gmail is just another
mailing system, yet a good one. I actually hear for the first time claims
about "preach", "religion" and "coolness". I really do find Gmail useful.
My very personal reason is that the mailing lists take a lot of traffic,
and with the Technion's (un)trusted mail service, mails arrive in
different order and sometimes after days. Gmail solved me this problem and
also in a very convenient (and smart) way. I also like the labels feature
which they added there (filters which you can choose, just like with
procmail). I use it to seperate between different Hamakor mails, for
example (board, comptrollers, etc..).

So, in general - if there's someone who doesn't like it or doesn't want to
use it - so shall be. To give it other meanings (religious, coolness), is
meaningless (it is just a fscking web mail, like Arik said).

	Adir

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 11:17:31 +0300

> and almost forgot the distor war... I am using Debian.

A polite flame is a lame flame!

An interesting, serious, healthy, masculine and hot flame is never polite.
And if you think otherwise, then you need better grey cells between your 
ears, than your existing grey cells, which are rotten, lazy, misfire 
very often, mix concepts, induce muddy thinking and are simply badly 
constructed.

:-)

                                              --- Omer
My own blog is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/tddpirate/

My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 11:18:36 +0300

> This is another mailing system if you want you can use it if you don't

I'm not getting paid by google.

I think I was a bit sarcastic or caustic, but Adir got the gist of
what I was saying, so just read his post. Thanks Adir.

Disclaimer: I did not pay Adir to write this :-)

-- Arik

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 11:22:07 +0300

> very often, mix concepts, induce muddy thinking and are simply badly

I prefered it the way Mark V. was doing it, where the winner is the
poster with better command of English, Latin, French, Hebrew and the
infamous SCSI cable.

-- Arik

---

From: "Tzahi Fadida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 11:28:11 +0200

I also agree that google is just another web service (although a good one).
However, it is true that there are many sub cultures that 
are sprouting from the internet including google.  
These are the people who creates forums on how they googeled
this or that. The movies are now using google as a verb, replacing
searching.
In a way, Linux, free software, open source, and other ideas are connected
because
they use the internet as a dissemination mechanism of their ideas.
I don't think we should reject the idea of a sub culture as long as it stays
in
the boundaries of common sense. I think we should accept it as it is and not
come at it in the form of a flame war.

Regards,
	tzahi.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Adir Abraham [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2004 9:49 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [hackers-il] GMAIL accounts
> 
> 
> I believe that what Arik tries to say is that Gmail is just 
> another mailing system, yet a good one. I actually hear for 
> the first time claims about "preach", "religion" and 
> "coolness". I really do find Gmail useful. My very personal 
> reason is that the mailing lists take a lot of traffic, and 
> with the Technion's (un)trusted mail service, mails arrive in 
> different order and sometimes after days. Gmail solved me 
> this problem and also in a very convenient (and smart) way. I 
> also like the labels feature which they added there (filters 
> which you can choose, just like with procmail). I use it to 
> seperate between different Hamakor mails, for example (board, 
> comptrollers, etc..).
> 
> So, in general - if there's someone who doesn't like it or 
> doesn't want to use it - so shall be. To give it other 
> meanings (religious, coolness), is meaningless (it is just a 
> fscking web mail, like Arik said).
> 
> 	Adir
> 
> > Arik, are you getting paid by google to preach for their 
> system? :-) I 
> > don't think it is a proud to not have an account, neither it is a 
> > proud to have one... This is another mailing system if you want you 
> > can use it if you don't you don't have too.
> >
> > text editor you are using or what Programming language you 
> prefer so 
> > this is Ok, these flame war, done politly are a nice show 
> :-) I have a 
> > gmail account. I use VI and like C...
> > >as much as if I would be proud of not picking up a Shekel I saw on 
> > >the street today.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor 
> --------------------~--> 
> $9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. 
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/saFolB/TM
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> ------~-> 
> 
>  
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> 
> 
> 
>  
> 
>

---

From: Adir Abraham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 12:09:34 +0300 (IDT)

Talking about sub-cultures and conspirations:

http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/ is a good one.

	Adir.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 12:09:43 +0300

> I don't think it is a proud to not have an account, neither it is a 

In fact, if you're a proud hacker, shouldn't you be saying: "Gigabyte on
gmail? Why do I need that when I have 100 GB on my own server?" :)

Or, perhaps you should be saying "Using Gmail for mail? What a wimp! I
do my backups, put my mp3 collections and transfer files of all sort using
that service!".

P.S. Google's invitation system was a wonderful idea, and I wonder if they
realized its potential from the start. They built up a "rareness" factor
into owning one of their account, such as that a person that gets one of
them says to himself "who cares if I already have a hotmail, yahoo and walla
account - these Gmail accounts are RARE. If I have one, everyone will envy
me. Everyone will think I'm cool!". Even now, when ivitations are very
common (I got 6 more if anyone wants! email me personally!), most people still
believe they are rare.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |         Sunday, Sep 5 2004, 19 Elul 5764
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Diplomat: A man who always remembers a
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |woman's birthday but never her age.