Subject: RE: [hackers-il] bsd license?

From: Tal Rotbart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:39:35 +0200

1. With the BSD license you can use the library inside a commercial project.
2. You can modify the library and NOT release the source code.
3. Sometimes you have to attribute "Portions (C) <copyright owner here>"
such as with Apache license.

Tal

-----Original Message-----
From: Tzahi Fadida [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 4:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [hackers-il] bsd license?

I am trying to understand what can i do with a library that is under the bsd
license: http://freetts.sourceforge.net/docs/index.php#contribute
http://freetts.sourceforge.net/license.terms

is it similar to LGPL in terms of commercial USE of the library. i.e. the
commercial code can remain closed and use the bsd code using an interface.

10x.

* - * - *
Tzahi Fadida
MSc Student
Information System Engineering Area
Faculty of Industrial Engineering & Management
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
Technion City, Haifa, Israel 32000
Email [email-masked]
Technion Email: [email-masked]
* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/spamwarning.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Buy
Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer
at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/saFolB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

________________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned for all viruses. 

Mercury Interactive Corporation
Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results

________________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned for all viruses. 

Mercury Interactive Corporation
Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results

---

From: "Tzahi Fadida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:04:19 +0200

Sounds odd. I always had the feeling that there should be an added benefit to a
license of an open project, i.e: what would it help if people can use the code
for development without relinquishing the code to the public?

> From: Tal Rotbart [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 4:40 PM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: RE: [hackers-il] bsd license?
>
>

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Nov 2003 17:43:06 +0200

"Tzahi Fadida" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sounds odd. I always had the feeling that there should be an added
> benefit to a license of an open project, i.e: what would it help if
> people can use the code for development without relinquishing the
> code to the public?

Depends on your point of view, I guess. 

From the point of view of the public, it is "less" than GPL (in the
sense that the public gets the derivative work less some of the code).

From the point of view of a developer who, similarly to one of the
recent posters, wants to protect his IP (though maybe not to that
drastic extent), it is "more" (in the sense that he can do more with
your BSD-licensed code).

From the point of view of the creator who faces the choice of license
for his work, with the BSD license he may gain a larger and deeper
pool of potential users, if he believes that the number of users
turned off by GPL is larger than the number of people who will suffer
from the lack of full sources, or if he is concerned that GPL takes
away the freedom to use his creation in certain ways from his
clients. It *is* a choice, and one may make the choice based on
pragmatic considerations, or igeological ones, or both (those are not
necessarily in contradiction).

Also see, e.g., the MIT license, and others at

http://opensource.org/licenses/

and

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked]