Subject: Releasing a project.

From: "Tzahi Fadida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:15:06 +0200

Hello all,
I wish to release a project under LGPL, and i am searching for a suitable free
service like sourceforge, etc..
Anyone can recommend one?

* - * - *
Tzahi Fadida
MSc Student
Information System Engineering Area
Faculty of Industrial Engineering & Management
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
Technion City, Haifa, Israel 32000
Email [email-masked]
Technion Email: [email-masked]
* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/spamwarning.html

---

From: guy keren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:32:37 +0200 (IST)

> Anyone can recommend one?

"like sourceforge"? then why not "sourceforge"? it is useable. it has its
ups and downs. i haven't used it in a long while (neglected working on the
project that's hosted there long ago), but wen i used it, it was ok. i
won't say "great", but the CVS respository mostly worked ok (and they
only support CVS, not any other revision control system). the mailing
lists function properly. making a release is not that hard, and there's
documentation on how to do that. we used the bug-reporting system
internally, to manage bugs we found while testing and developing the code.
the same goes for the task list - thought it was less used, as often
keeping a 'TODO' file directly on the PC is much easier (and faster) to
use, then a web-based system.

if you don't like sourceforge, you could check berlios.de, and GNU's
savanah (http://savannah.nongnu.org for non-GNU projects,
http://savannah.gnu.org for GNU projects). i used neither of them.

-- 
guy

"For world domination - press 1,
 or dial 0, and please hold, for the creator." -- nob o. dy

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:56:52 +0200

> Anyone can recommend one?

For a list:

  http://dmoz.org/Computers/Open_Source/Hosting/

I know that people so use mainly SourceForge, but also Berlios and
Savannah. Berlios seem to host many CD distributions lately. I figure
they provide more disk space.

I've also seen some projects hosted in Sunsite.dk and some in Tigris.org
.

(As for why not SorceForge? The main reason I can think of is that there
are enough projects that quite depend on SourceForge already, and some
diversity won't harm anybody).

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen                       +---------------------------+
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir/ |vim is a mutt's best friend|
mailto:[email-masked]       +---------------------------+