Subject: First Pre-Release of Arc

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:37:18 +0200

Apparently Paul Graham and Co. released the first version of Arc, their new 
dialect of Lisp:

* http://www.paulgraham.com/arc0.html
* http://arclanguage.org/
* http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/2643

Here are some links to patches from the #arc topic:

<<<<<<<<
Topic for #arc is arc support and hangout : http://www.arclanguage.org/ | 
http://paulgraham.com/arc0.html | Improve your arc REPL - use rlwrap - 
or 'require' readline.ss in .mzschemerc |  on windows use -d 
mzscheme.exe -m -d arc0\as.scm | patch for newer mzschemes 
http://www.arclanguage.org/item?id=148 | patch to fix date on linux 
http://blakeley.com/linux-date.patch

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish      [email-masked]
Homepage:        http://www.shlomifish.org/

I'm not an actor - I just play one on T.V.

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:09:01 +0200

I am replying only to Hackers-IL.

The big bummer (noticed by several other people as well) is the apparent
intention to support only ASCII.

One of the bloggers suggested that it would have been better if Paul
Graham announced that he supports only octets, and let users build
Unicode libraries over the language.

I think that such languages would benefit from support for two Unicode
string representations:
1. utf-8 - strings built of octets, and each glyph occupies variable
number of octets.
2. ucs-32 (with option to change to ucs-40, ucs-48, etc. in the future)
- strings of glyphs, such that each glyph consists of a fixed number of
octets.  The basic language design needs to provide for an easy way to
enlarge the number of octets per glyph in the future.

Anything which I overlooked?

                                         --- Omer

-- 
One does not make peace with enemies.  One makes peace with former
enemies.
My own blog is at http://www.zak.co.il/tddpirate/

My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html