Subject: The shame of Technion's EE Web site

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:46:29 +0200 (EET)

When version 0.9.9 of Mozilla is used to browse

  http://www.ee.technion.ac.il/

The following error message is seen:

  Netscape4 version only

The page does not even claim to support only IE...

Disclaimer:  I didn't check what happens if Mozilla 1.4 is used.
                                             --- Omer
My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:55:54 +0200 (IST)

> Disclaimer:  I didn't check what happens if Mozilla 1.4 is used.

The same thing happens with Mozilla 1.4, and the page is still displayed
incorrectly. Strangely enough, if you use Netscape 7, (which is based
on Mozilla) the page would be displayed perfectly fine. (don't ask me why).

This is an old problem and it's a real shame. The homepage once worked
only with MSIE and NN4, and then I reported it and it was fixed to work
with Mozilla and Konqueror again. Now, it exhibits such a problem again.

This is ironic especially considering that the web-site for the Computer
Science department and all the web sites for the courses I checked, are
perfectly clean and portable HTML, which can be viewed well on all
browsers. The EE department web-site has seen several incarnations. One
was clean and nice, but not very attractive. The other one was more
clunky, but could still work with a lot of browsers, and the third was
this non-portable DHTML mess.

I was in contact with the webmaster of this site. He was willing to
cooperate, but nothing came out of it. Maybe I should try contacting him
again.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/

An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
doctors away.

	Falk Fish

---

From: Orna Agmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:23:48 +0200 (IST)

> Disclaimer:  I didn't check what happens if Mozilla 1.4 is used.

In 1.4a the same pop-up appears, but the site appears as well. Only it
does not display properly. Same in konquere 3.00-10.

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 03:51:33 +0200

> on Mozilla) the page would be displayed perfectly fine. (don't ask me why).

Maybe the server sends the menu page based on the browser. The name of
the menu frame page is menu_ns4_e.html . Maybe later someone added a
check to the server to refer a browser with a user-agent string of
mozilla 7 to a different page. Mozilla uses a different user-agent
string (mozilla 5)

> this non-portable DHTML mess.

Is webcourse.cs.technion.ac.il available from the outside?

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen                       +---------------------------+
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir/ |vim is a mutt's best friend|
mailto:[email-masked]       +---------------------------+