Subject: Writing documentation in XML and then transforming it

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:27:47 +0200

I am faced with the need to write documentation.

I would like to put all the relevant information in XML, with my own
schema (including the possibility of reusing an existing schema if I
find one suitable for the information in question).

Then I want to transform the XML document into HTML (more correct -
XHTML) for Web browsing, and into some printer-friendly format (the
basic requirement is to be able to divide the document into pages and
build a table of contents with the correct page numbers).

>From a first glance, XSLT can be used to transform XML into XHTML, but I
would like to explore other (and easier to learn) tools.  Also, I do not
see how to create page numbers in XSLT.

What is your experience and advice about toolchains for accomplishing
the above?
                                     Thanks,
                                          --- Omer
-- 
Delay is the deadliest form of denial.    C. Northcote Parkinson
My own blog is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/tddpirate/

My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Gábor Szabó <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:00:04 +0200

> find one suitable for the information in question).

II have some scripts that translate my xml to docbook and then I can
use everything docbook has.

Gabor