Subject: Web Navigation on a Remote server and in the hard-disk

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:20:40 +0300 (IDT)

I wrote a script that converted an HTML tree from served-on-the-server
mode to browsed on the hard-disk mode. The only change I implemented is
for relative URLs that end with a slash to have index.html appended to
them.

Is it still good enough to enable browsing the tree on the hard disk (it
seems so).

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/

An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
doctors away.

	Falk Fish

---

From: Beni Cherniavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:03:46 +0300 (IDT)

Shlomi Fish wrote on 2003-06-17:

> mode to browsed on the hard-disk mode.

wget can already do more-or-less that (--convert-links, see
<http://www.gnu.org/manual/wget/html_node/wget_11.html#SEC11>)

> The only change I implemented is for relative URLs that end with a
> slash to have index.html appended to them.
>
Agh, that's what you mean.  You have access to the server itself and
you don't mind non-relative links to access the net.  But if you
browse from the server and it's up, why don't you simply browse
through local HTTP?

If that's not your situatuation, how do you handle non-relative links?
Or do you know that all links inside this HTML tree are relative?

> Is it still good enough to enable browsing the tree on the hard disk (it
The ``index.html`` behaivor on directory URLs can be customized in the
server's config (or by .htaccess), so this is not bullet-proof.  But
if it's your server, you know whether this applies ;-).

-- 
Beni Cherniavsky <[email-masked]>
If I don't hack on it, who will?  And if I don't GPL it, what am I?
And why not now?

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:41:04 +0300 (IDT)

> <http://www.gnu.org/manual/wget/html_node/wget_11.html#SEC11>)

That's not what I have to do.

> Or do you know that all links inside this HTML tree are relative?

I want to create an archive that can be packed into a hard-disk and allow
local browsing using a browser, without having to set up a web-server.

I ignore non-relative links. Let's assume that all links are either
relative or completely external.

> if it's your server, you know whether this applies ;-).

Let's assume I have a tree that can run on the server, and I want to
convert it into a tree that will run server-less.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

	Falk Fish

---

From: Beni Cherniavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:17:39 +0300 (IDT)

> convert it into a tree that will run server-less.
With these assumptions, it should definitely work.  IMHO, it would be
more convenient if *browsers* automatically picked up ``index.html``
files on file:// links pointing to directiories.