Subject: Alan Kay on computer languages and other interesting things

From: Redbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:45:48 +0200

I think some of you might enjoy this interview from ACM's Queue magazine.

Alan "Kay was one of the founders of the Xerox Palo Alto Research
Center (PARC), where he led one of several groups that together
developed modern workstations (and the forerunners of the Macintosh),
Smalltalk, the overlapping window interface, desktop publishing, the
Ethernet, laser printing, and network client-servers."
..He's also a Turing Award winner, and was chief scientist of Atari, a
Fellow of Apple Computer, and vice president of research and
development at The Walt Disney Company. Amongst other things...

Basically he is one of the technologists that I personally admire. The
article is at:
http://acmqueue.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=273

One of the gems from this interview: 
"Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term."

Too bad S. Fish will not read this line as he has me on his blacklist :)

-Tal