Subject: Fwd: Next TelFOSS Meeting: "Version Control Systems" on Wednesday, 21-Apr-2010

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:21:15 +0300

----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: Next TelFOSS Meeting: Version Control Systems on Wednesday, 21-
Apr-2010
Date: Saturday 10 Apr 2010, 18:28:46
From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
To: Telux <[email-masked]>
CC: "Linux-IL" <[email-masked]>, Sawyer X <[email-masked]>

Hi all!

יש טקסט בעברית מתחת לטקסט האנגלי..

Having got a new venue in Shenkar college in Ramat Gan with better
hours (sometime between 19:00-22:00), the Tel Aviv Open Source Club is
starting the new season with a presentation about version control
systems, which is a universal topic for all software developers (and
possibly even most other non-programming computer users). To quote the
movie "Sister Act" we are trying to "get some butts in the seats".

The [http://tel.foss.org.il/ Tel Aviv Open Source Club] will host
[http://wiki.osdc.org.il/index.php/Tel_Aviv_Meeting_on_21_April_2010
the talk "Version Control Systems - What, Why and How"] by Yaron Meiry
(Sawyer) on Wednesday, 21-April-2010, at 19:00 in
[http://www.shenkar.ac.il/ Shenkar College in Ramat Gan (12 Ann Frank
St.)] room 300 ('''note''' the change of time and place from the
previous meetings - we are now meeting in Shenkar college and on
19:00.). There's
[http://www.shenkar.ac.il/template/default.aspx?maincat=5&catid=32 a
map with directions on the Shenkar college's site]. Further details,
maps for arrival, etc. can be found
[http://wiki.osdc.org.il/index.php/Tel_Aviv_Meeting_on_21_April_2010
on the Wiki].

Attendance is free, it is not necessary to RSVP and everyone are welcome.

With any other problems, feel free to
[http://www.shlomifish.org/me/contact-me/ contact the organiser].

'''Abstract'''

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control Version control
systems] allow us to keep track of an unlimited amount of changes
across any number of files. They are an essential tool for any
developer.

Using version control systems can help you restore lost data, examine
the differences between between multiple versions of your data, tag
versions and access them quickly, simplify cooperation with your
peers, easily merge changes, and maintain several branches of your
data at once.

This presentation will explain what version control systems are, why
you should use them (even if you think you shouldn't) and how you
should use them. Most examples will be given using the
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29 open-source version
control system Git].

'''About the Lecturer'''

Yaron Meiry is a systems' administrator and a Perl developer. He gives
talks about open source, free software, security and programming
standards. Yaron has previously given the
[http://wiki.osdc.org.il/index.php/Tel_Aviv_Meeting_on_28_June_2009
presentation about red flags in programming of very high languages] in
the Tel Aviv Club and a presentation about [http://moose.perl.org/
Moose, the modern Perl 5 Object System] to TelFOSS and several other
clubs.

----

We are always looking for people who will volunteer to give
presentations on various topics that are related to open source code
and to computers. In case you are interested to give a talk, or that
you have a suggestion for a talk that interests you, we'll be happy to
hear from you.

=================================

[http://tel.foss.org.il/ מועדון הקוד הפתוח התל-אביבי (תלוקס)] ייפגש
שוב כדי לשמוע את
[http://wiki.osdc.org.il/index.php/Tel_Aviv_Meeting_on_21_April_2010
ההרצאה "מערכות ניהול גרסאות - מה, למה, וכיצד"] מאת ירון מאירי (Sawyer)
ביום רביעי, 21 באפריל 2010 ב-19:00 [http://www.shenkarץac.il/ במכללת
שנקר ברמת גן (רח' אנה פרנק 12)] חדר 300 ('''שימו לב''' לשינוי במיקום
ובזמן מהפגישות הקודמות - אנו ניפגש במכללת שנקר ובשעה 19:00) ניתן למצוא
[http://www.shenkar.ac.il/template/default.aspx?maincat=5&catid=32 מפה
עם הוראות הגעה באתר של מכללת שנקר]. פרטים נוספים, מפות להגעה, וכו ניתן
למצוא [http://wiki.osdc.org.il/index.php/Tel_Aviv_Meeting_on_21_April_2010
בוויקי].

הנוכחות בהרצאה היא בחינם ולא נדרשת הרשמה מראש.

במידה שישנן בעיות, אל תהססו [http://www.shlomifish.org/me/contact-me/
ליצור קשר עם המארגן].

'''סיכום ההרצאה'''

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control מערכות ניהול גרסאות]
מאפשרות לנו לעקוב אחרי כמות לא מוגבלת של שינויים במספר שרירותי של
קבצים. הן מהוות כלי הכרחי עבור כל מפתח.

השימוש במערכות ניהול גרסאות יכול לעזור לך לשחזר מידע אבוד, לבחון את
ההבדלים בין מספר גרסאות של המידע, לתייג גרסאות ולאפשר גישה אליהן
בקלות, להקל על שיתוף פעולה עם שותפיך לפרוייקטים, לאחות שינויים בקלות,
ולתחזק מספר ענפים של המידע שלך בו זמנית.

מצגת זאת תסביר מה הן מערכות ניהול גרסאות, מדוע כדאי שתשתמשו בהן (גם אם
כרגע אינכם חושבים כך) וכיצד כדאי שתעשו בהן שימוש. מרבית הדוגמאות
יועברו באמצעות [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29 מערכת
ניהול הגרסאות פתוחת-הקוד "גיט".]

'''אודות המרצה'''

ירון מאירי הינו מנהל מערכות ומפתח פרל. הוא מרצה על קוד פתוח, תוכנה
חופשית, אבטחה וסטנדרטים של תכנות. ירון העביר בעבר את
[http://wiki.osdc.org.il/index.php/Tel_Aviv_Meeting_on_28_June_2009
ההרצאה על דגלים אדומים בתכנות עבור שפות עיליות ביותר] במועדון
התל-אביבי ומצגת אודות [http://moose.perl.org/ Moose, מערכת העצמים
המודרנית לפרל 5] במועדון התל אביבי ובמועדונים אחרים נוספים.

----

אנו תמיד מחפשים מרצים שיתנדבו לתת הרצאות בנושאים שונים הקשורים
לקוד-הפתוח ולמחשבים. במידה שאתם מעוניינים לתת הרצאה, או שיש לכם הצעה
להרצאה שמעניינת אתכם, נשמח לשמוע ממכם.

-- 
------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/

Electrical Engineering studies. In the Technion. Been there. Done
that. Forgot a lot. Remember too much.
_______________________________________________
Linux-il mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.cs.huji.ac.il/mailman/listinfo/linux-il

-----------------------------------------
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
Freecell Solver - http://fc-solve.berlios.de/

Deletionists delete Wikipedia articles that they consider lame.
Chuck Norris deletes deletionists whom he considers lame.

Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post - http://shlom.in/reply .