Subject: Report on the Book "Programming Pearls" (2nd Edition)

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:25:42 +0200

I recently finished reading the second edition of the book Programming Pearls:

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Pearls-2nd-Jon-Bentley/dp/0201657880

The author updated and modernised the previous edition.

This book covers several programming and algorithmic challenges and implements 
solutions to them. There's a strong focus on optimisation which I appreciated. 
One major thing I got from the book was the analysis and verification of 
algorithms using pre/post and invariants.

I should note that I haven't done the exercises in the book (at least not 
yet), which may have resulted in a lesser understanding of what Bentley tried 
to convey.

Still I can wholeheartedly recommend the book. It's engaging, interesting, and 
not too long.

I should also note that two days ago, I spent some time reading the traits 
paper:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki$?TraitsPaper

It was interesting, but I didn't invest enough time in digesting it and fully 
understanding. It's not too long, so I can recommend reading it.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

Deletionists delete Wikipedia articles that they consider lame.
Chuck Norris deletes deletionists whom he considers lame.

Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post - http://shlom.in/reply .