Subject: Summary of "The Case for File Swapping"

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:44:13 +0200

In this URL:

http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/file-swapping-7cb87w/Summary.txt

One can find a summary for an essay I'm going to write titled "The Case for 
File Swapping". The purpose of this essay is to explain why sharing files (of 
media, etc.) is ethical and moral, why it should be legal, and why file 
sharers and downloaders must not be prosecuted. Also discussed are some 
related issues.

I'd love to hear your comments, suggestions, corrections and flames.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish      [email-masked]
Homepage:        http://www.shlomifish.org/

95% of the programmers consider 95% of the code they did not write, in the
bottom 5%.

---

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:19:13 +0200

> I'd love to hear your comments, suggestions, corrections and flames.

Shlomi, my dear, dear friend. Please stop using hackers-il as your
private announcement list. In this day of blogs and rss, I'm sure
anyone who wished to be thus informed could subscribe to your blog or
whatever.

And yes, I know the list is otherwise quiet. Let sleeping dragons lie.

Cheers,
Muli
-- 
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:04:22 +0200

On Friday 21 October 2005 18:19, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> > One can find a summary for an essay I'm going to write titled "The Case
> > for File Swapping". The purpose of this essay is to explain why sharing
> > files (of media, etc.) is ethical and moral, why it should be legal, and
> > why file sharers and downloaders must not be prosecuted. Also discussed
> > are some related issues.
> >
> private announcement list. 

I did not do that. I am trying to start a discussion. As far as I can tell, 
the legality/morality/ethicality of file swapping is a valid topic on 
Hackers-IL. I announced my summary, in hope of people having something to say 
about it.

Note that I'd rather not announce the essay on my blog until I have it 
finished. And when I do, I'll put it on my homepage and publicize it. (I'm 
leaning towards groklaw.)

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

---

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:21:42 +0200

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 07:04:22PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> I did not do that. I am trying to start a discussion.

Sure doesn't look that way.

> leaning towards groklaw.)

So let me get this straight, it's not "good enough" for your blog, but
it's good enough to mail to the whole wide world? I think you have
your concepts mixed.

Anyway, never mind.

Cheers,
Muli

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:23:05 +0200

> On Friday 21 October 2005 18:19, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
[snip]

> Hackers-IL. I announced my summary, in hope of people having something to say

Well, you already tried that:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hackers-il/message/4469 (on this group,
unsuccessful)
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg39822.html (successful)

Now I know your ideas about file sharing, and I bet most people here
too. I have on purpose refrained from getting into this argument, and
I am not going to do it again. For some reason, everyone else on this
list refrained from arguing with you, save from Mulix and myself, and
we are both avoiding the actual topic and dealing with it on a meta
level.

Maybe, Shlomi, this mailing list is not the right one to incite this
kind of discussion. Notice that I used the word 'incite' and not
'start', because this is exactly what happened on Linux-IL when you
raised the subject in a IMHO very provocative way.

-- Arik

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:19:12 +0200

Hi all!

I should note that the essay has now been written and placed on my site:

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/case-for-file-swapping/

You can comment on it on my blog:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/shlomif/6303.html

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

On Friday 21 October 2005 14:44, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> File Swapping". The purpose of this essay is to explain why sharing files
> (of media, etc.) is ethical and moral, why it should be legal, and why file
> Yahoo! Groups Links

--

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:34:11 +0200

> I should note that the essay has now been written and placed on my site:

Yes, ignoring out comments and pushing along your own goals and
agendas works too.

Grow up, get an RSS feed or something.

-- Arik