Subject: Recent Work on "The Pope Died on Sunday"

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:15:54 +0300

Hi!

Today (after a long time of almost entire neglect) I updated my story "The 
Pope Died on Sunday":

http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Pope/

A new version of the story with many improvements is available on the page. I 
hope you like them.

Enjoy!

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish      [email-masked]
Homepage:        http://www.shlomifish.org/

Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of 
paragraphs.

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:25:37 +0300

Oh, and I forgot:

Can anyone think of a good Hebrew translation to the English expression "He 
knew better than to do X."? In Hebrew it can be "Yada yoter tov 
mila'asoth/me'asher la'ashoth", but that sounds a bit like Engrew. I was also 
suggested "Hevin shelo Tzarikh La'asoth Eth X." Or "Yada Shelo Keday La'asoth 
eth X", but both of them lose a lot of the spice of the English original. 
(and don't retain the exact meaning).

Ideas anyone?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:52:18 +0300

On Sunday 10 July 2005 10:01, Orna Agmon wrote:
> Haya maspik hacham kedey lo laasot X
>

Hmmm... that's interesting. Of course, translated into English it would be "He 
was smart/wise enough not to do X." The problem is that smart/wise is a 
static adjective while "knew" is a temporal verb, and so some of the meaning 
is still lost. But it may be the closest thing yet.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Shlomi Fish
>
> wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:25:37 +0300
> > From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
> > Reply-To: [email-masked]
> > To: [email-masked]
> > Subject: Re: [hackers-il] Recent Work on "The Pope Died on Sunday"
> >
> > Oh, and I forgot:
> >
> > Can anyone think of a good Hebrew translation to the English expression
> > "He knew better than to do X."? In Hebrew it can be "Yada yoter tov
> > mila'asoth/me'asher la'ashoth", but that sounds a bit like Engrew. I was
> > also suggested "Hevin shelo Tzarikh La'asoth Eth X." Or "Yada Shelo Keday
> > La'asoth eth X", but both of them lose a lot of the spice of the English
> > original. (and don't retain the exact meaning).
> >
> > Ideas anyone?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > 	Shlomi Fish
> >
> > > Today (after a long time of almost entire neglect) I updated my story
> > > "The Pope Died on Sunday":
> > >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> Orna.
> --
> Orna Agmon http://ladypine.org/  http://haifux.org/~ladypine/
> ICQ: 348759096

--

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 02:20:08 -0700

> (and don't retain the exact meaning).

You need to change the entire sentence structure, because there is no
Hebrew construct that works that way and doesn't look like a poor
translation.

For example: "He new better than to leave the metal tool in the rain
to corrode" -->
הוא לקח איתו את הכלי כדי שלא יחליד בגשם

or

הוא ידע מנסיון שהכלי המתכתי יחליד בגשם ולכן לא השאיר אותו

Or various other options. Some things just can't be translated
literally. I think in Hebrew and when I speak I sometime talk myself
into a corner and I can't use a specific expression because the one I
thought of in Hebrew doesn't have an English parallel.

'talk myself into a corner' is another English expression that doesn't
have a Hebrew parallel.

-- Arik

---

From: "Zohar Kelrich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:28:54 +0300

> is still lost. But it may be the closest thing yet.

"hiskil laasot X"

Although it's sort of archaic, so it does lose the zing.

   Zohar