Subject: server for fun and profit anyone?

From: Gadi Evron <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:22:00 +0200

Much like Fiasco, some of us are renting a server in ActCom's farm.

We will run FreeBSD (most likely).

Anyone interested in joining in, please email me privately. The more
people who join, the less it costs. Not too many "seats" left.

	Gadi.

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:11:54 -0700

> people who join, the less it costs. Not too many "seats" left.

How much freedom will the users have?

If I can define zones in a DNS, run cron jobs, SSH to it, maybe a
proxy or sorts, then I am in.

-- Arik

---

From: Gadi Evron <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:14:43 +0200

Eran Tromer wrote:
> Hi Gadi,
> 
> Which of the following will users be able to control directly?
> * DNS domains
> * e-mail accounts
> * e-mail filters
> * web server configuration (httpd.conf)
> * web server dynamic content (PHP etc. and database access)
> * file-transfer accounts (scp-only SSH and/or FTP)
> 
> In Fiasco, getting some of these items took a lot of ad-hoc scripting,
> and for some others we still don't know how to do with reasonable effort
> and performance (so they're still managed by root). So I'd be very
> interested to read an account of how you implemented these.

The web issues we have to discuss, but users will pretty much control
nothing.

However, they will get whatever they want and without much waiting.. or
they'll leave.

	Gadi.

---

From: Gadi Evron <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:13:23 +0200

> proxy or sorts, then I am in.

Well, we plan on two key issues:
1. Stability and security.
2. Fun.

We will most likely run FreeBSD. One of the best sysadmins I ever met
(who works with me at Tehila) will do system. I'll do security.

If someone else wants to be an admin, we can talk about it although our
sysadmin is committed to *your* every whim. That's his fun.

We'll run the usual stuff. DNS, web, DB, mail, mailing lists, SSH...

I suppose we will run other stuff as well, but if it becomes too weird
we can vote on it.

Aside to being stable this is also supposed to be fun, so...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:35:45 +1000

> 1. Stability and security.

This sounds reasonable to me. If I'll have responsive sysadmin and security
services as a side dish then I wouldn't mind not having direct root access.

Just a few more questions:
1. How much is the total cost and how many slots do you plan to share?
(the idea is to get a cost estimate).
2. From a little googling I gather that there is support for Virtual
Private Servers
for FreeBSD (at least it's offered by many hosting companies, I couldn't find
a refference for this in freebsd.org). Have you though of that option?

Cheers,

--Amos

---

From: Gadi Evron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:38:12 +0200

> (the idea is to get a cost estimate).

Depending on how many people join, between 20 shekels and 20 bucks a
month. We are only adding friends or friends by proxy, so most users on
this group would get in easily - but we will definitely stop after 10 -
15 users.

> a refference for this in freebsd.org). Have you though of that option?

Nope.. we haven't considered that.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:01:21 +0300

> this group would get in easily - but we will definitely stop after 10 -

This means that all your costs - including hardware and the connection -
costs you just 15*20 = 300 shekels a month. This sounds to me a very
optimistic assumption. Prices I know of in Israel are twice that per
month, just for the connection. But if you get a good price offer, please
tell us about it :-)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Jun 30 2005, 23 Sivan 5765
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |"Mommy! The garbage man is here!" "Well,
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |tell him we don't want any!"- Groucho Marx

---

From: Gadi Evron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:18:03 +0200

> month, just for the connection. But if you get a good price offer, please

120 bucks a month at ActCom.

	Gadi.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:45:01 +0300

> 120 bucks a month at ActCom.

Ok, so this is already twice the low you gave (120/15 = 8$ = 36 shekels).
Also, are you sure this price includes the hardware, and not just the
connectivity and place for bringing your own hardware? (this was the
situation last time I checked, about a year ago - maybe the prices have
gone down - it will be nice to learn).

Sorry I'm being inquisitive - I'm paying through my nose for a similar
co-op on Netvision, and want to see if I can do cheaper :-)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Jun 30 2005, 24 Sivan 5765
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Are you still here? The message is over.
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |Shoo! Go away!

---

From: Gadi Evron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:58:26 +0200

> Ok, so this is already twice the low you gave (120/15 = 8$ = 36 shekels).

I lied.

> gone down - it will be nice to learn).

Call them.

	Gadi.

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:56:45 -0700

On 30/06/05, Gadi Evron <[email-masked]> wrote:
[who cares what you wrote?]

Count me in.

-- Arik