Subject: C# as the next Scheme

From: Omer Musaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 14:24:31 +0300

Well, the statement in the title is little... moronic. 

However...

The new version of will have support for higher-order programming, limited
form of closures and lambda expressions.  

http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/Future/faq.aspx 

--
Omer Mussaev
Software Engineer, EMS team, APM R&D
Mercury Interactive

________________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned for all viruses. 

Mercury Interactive Corporation
Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results 

http://www.merc-int.com
________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 May 2003 11:48:11 +0300

> http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/Future/faq.aspx

Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: any sufficiently complicated C
or Fortran program [or C# implementation -the original quote is rather
dated - OG] contains an ad hoc informally-specified bug-ridden slow
implementation of half of Common Lisp.

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked]

---

From: Beni Cherniavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:29:08 +0300 (IDT)

> http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/Future/faq.aspx
Quoting it:

    Why is Microsoft announcing these four features?

    Microsoft is announcing these four features to demonstrate rapid
    innovation in the C# language and to solicit developer feedback
    ...

This just sounds *so* microsoftish, so comercial!  New featrues should
be the innovation itself, not "demonstrate" it.  I can't explain it
more clearly but the sound of this sentence just hurts my instincts of
how a language should be designed.  This sounds worse than a committee
design - a company design!  You guess right, I dislike Java too :-).

-- 
Beni Cherniavsky <[email-masked]>

The Three Laws of Copy-Protechnics:
http://www.technion.ac.il/~cben/threelaws.html

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 09:06:14 +0300 (IDT)

> implementation of half of Common Lisp.

Of course, this is wrong.
For example, Python is a pretty complicated C program, and its slow 
implementation of half of Common Lisp is pretty well specified and 
relatively bug free.