Subject: Why there will always be programmers

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 02:24:49 +0200

http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2008/10/27/why-there-will-always-be-programmers/
Summary:
Programmers are always needed, because big programs have lots of
details, and somebody has to manage those details.

Now, quick!  What are your tips and tricks for managing the details of
your projects?

-- 
Did you shave a yak today?
My own blog is at http://www.zak.co.il/tddpirate/

My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 21:05:16 +0200

On Friday 31 October 2008, Omer Zak wrote:
> http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2008/10/27/why-there-will-always-be-programme
>rs/ Summary:

Well, I never initiated large-scale projects on my own, just contributed to 
large-scale ( > 100K LOCs) projects that other people initiated.

Well, first of all I make sure the projects are adequately modular and 
componentised. Each module, class, function etc. should do something and 
something well. This makes it easy to find.

Meaningful and conventional variable names also help a lot to find offending 
code.

Then I use tools like grep, http://petdance.com/ack/ , ctags, etc. to find 
what I want. These are especially useful with gvim's quickfix mode.

I personally don't write too much external documentation, except for 
perlpod/etc. API-documentation for the user. I also prefer to factor out code 
with meaningful names for the extracted functions than to comment bad code. 
From my experience, external documentation tends to get out-of-sync with the 
code itself and so is not such a good idea. Your code should be 
self-documenting.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
What Makes Software Apps High Quality -  http://xrl.us/bkeuk

Shlomi, so what are you working on? Working on a new wiki about unit testing 
fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam

---

From: "Ori Idan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:18:30 +0200

> code itself and so is not such a good idea. Your code should be

I certainly agree that code should be self documenting as much as possible.
Sometimes even in line documentation in the form of comments, tends to stay
out of date. I have seen case when during debugging of some software, some
functions where changed but the comments stayed the same.

-- 
Ori Idan

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

-- 
ספרים וסיפורים שכתבתי: http://www.thestories.org