Subject: E-myth revisited (you need entrepreneur, manager and technician in your business)

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:27:23 +0300

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0887307280/qid=1115918786/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-1765878-1007817?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

The book is about those people, who have a professional skill (such as
software developers, in our case), and turn it into a business.  Some of
them succeed and others fail.

According to the book, when a professional (the book uses the term
"technician") turns his operations into a business, he needs to grow
inside himself also the personalities of entrepreneur (someone who has a
vision for the business) and manager (procedures, training employees,
etc.).

The thought which I wanted to share is that someone, who was successful
software developer, has an interesting management potential:  he can
design such procedures for his business, that significant parts of them
can be easily and cheaply computerized.  Thus, his business will be more
efficient than the average.

Example:  'make' is a tool for implementing a procedure for building a
new software version, which is useful in software businesses.

Another thought (and I am waiting for a Paul Graham essay about this) is
that a business, which has the policy of relying upon software tools,
which have command line interface (such as using Linux rather than
MS-Windows as the basic platform) - enables its employees and managers
to script ever increasing parts of the office and knowledge management
workflow.  Then the business enjoys the advantage of ever increasing
efficiencies in its operations and leveraging the time of its workers.
                                                   --- Omer
-- 
MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.
My own blog is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/tddpirate/

My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Omer Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 08:06:08 -0700 (PDT)

Excuse me for top-posting, but stupid webmail interface prevents me from doing better...
 
The last thought was, IIRC, primary business plan for SAP corporation...

Omer Zak <[email-masked]> wrote:
[snip-snip]

                                                   --- Omer

[snip-snip]

--
Omer Shapira
Senior Software Engineer
Radware
		
---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
 Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard.