Subject: Wikipedia Static Images

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:55:58 +0200

Does anyone know what is happening to the Wikipedia static images (in
http://static.wikipedia.org/downloads/)?

It seems that there are no static images for English after April 2007.
The September 2007 static image for Hebrew seems to be incomplete.
The last complete static image for Hebrew is from April 2007.

Where can I find news and updates about the Wikipedia static images:
- When is the next static image dump scheduled?
- Why does a static image dump not properly cover all languages?
- What files are omitted? (I found that the Hebrew image dump does not
include uploaded multimedia files in he/upload subdirectory)
- Where can I download a dump of the omitted files (if at all)?

By the way, beware of the high compression ratios of the 7z archive
format used by Wikipedia.  The April 2007 Hebrew archive is 217MB long,
and it decompresses to 4198MB files (compression ratio of about 19).

                                    --- Omer

-- 
MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.
My own blog is at http://www.zak.co.il/tddpirate/

My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html