Subject: recommendations for Windows driver programming resources

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Sep 2003 15:20:30 +0300

Hi,

I need pointers to good on-line and dead-tree - especially dead-tree -
resources for modern Windows driver programming, WDM, etc. Ideal
combination:

* Suitable for someone with experience in OS-level programming but
  only in Linux, not in Windows. Imagine a hacker who knows next to
  nothing about Windows internals. ;-)

* Code, APIs, and other concrete stuff is more welcome than words.

* Modern Windows versions (XP, 2K), with emphasis on servers rather
  than desktop (e.g. printers and scanners are of no interest).

* Network, keyboard, mouse, VGA, USB, SCSI - techniques, code, etc
  are welcome.

Are there any open-source drivers for Windows that can be studied?

I did my research, but found surprisingly little, and what I found
usually has decidedly mixed reviews. This book

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735618038/qid=1064230964/sr=2-2/104-3064423-1819135?v=glance&s=books

is an example. It is also the first Google hit for "Windows driver
programming."

Further down the Google list there is http://www.chsw.com/ddk/, which
may or may not be useful - it seems to end with NT.

Et caetera, et caetera...

Thanks in advance,

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked]