Subject: Guile License Confusion

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:59:29 +0300

I am mulling over the idea of developing an extension to Guile, which
would allow Guile scripts (written, of course, in Scheme) to seamlessly
manipulate Python objects and invoke functions in Python modules.

However, when reading about Guile, I got confused.
Guile is licensed under the GPL.  Some places claim that it is licensed
under "Guile GPL" (or GGPL), which is GPL with a special exception
(different from that provided by LGPL and from the license under which
bison is distributed).

However, there is a GGPL - Greater Good Public License (see
http://www.gnubook.org/ggpl_org.html).

I am confused!
Is there, in Hackers-IL, anyone who knows and can serve as authoritative
local source of information and clear the confusion?
                                           --- Omer
-- 
Delay is the deadliest form of denial.    C. Northcote Parkinson
My own blog is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/tddpirate/

My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:39:47 +0300

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 15:29 +0300, Adam Morrison wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 02:59:29PM +0300, Omer Zak wrote:
> 
> What exactly is the problem with downloading it and reading the README
> and license?

One place says that Guile is GPL and another place says that Guile is
GPL+exception.
Anyway, I followed your suggestion to feel like dunce with diploma, and
do RTFMing.  I checked /usr/share/doc/guile-1.6/copyright - according to
it, Guile is covered by GPL+exception.  The exception does not mention
the Greater Good extras mentioned by the GGPL.
                                            --- Omer
-- 
MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.
My own blog is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/tddpirate/