Subject: E-voting in Israel: Does anyone know about this?

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 00:25:30 +0300

The important point in the following is that it seems that our
government is introducing E-voting into Israel and I saw no public
debate about the subject.
In the last municipal elections, a trial was made - and its results
haven't been made public as far as I know.

===>
Snippets from the following issue:
RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Sunday 18 April 2010  Volume 26 : Issue
02
[... snipped ...]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:04:21 PDT
From: "Peter G. Neumann" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RFID zapper made from a disposable camera! (Eurekalert)

  [Thanks to Ken Nitz.  PGN]

  Safer swiping while voting and globetrotting: Tel Aviv University
security
  expert finds security holes in America's passports and 'smart cards'
http://www.eurekalert.org/multimedia/pub/21697.php?from=158414
[... snipped ...]
Prof. Wool's most recent research centers on the new "e-voting"
technology
being implemented in Israel. "We show how the Israeli government's new
system based on the RFID chip is a very risky approach for security
reasons.
===>

                                         --- Omer
-- 
By running MS-Windows XP on your PC, you are probably a multi-zombie.
My own blog is at http://www.zak.co.il/tddpirate/

My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Evgeny Budilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:51:13 +0300

Hi,
Last year there was some great lecture in Tel-Aviv university about the
subject of e-voting in Israel and some cool relay attack was introduced. The
attack exploits the RFID weaknesses to damage the election process.

Below the link to the paper which explains the attack and what could
possibly get wrong with e-voting
http://www.eng.tau.ac.il/~yash/evoting-relay-rfid2010.pdf<http://www.eng.tau.ac.il/%7Eyash/evoting-relay-rfid2010.pdf>

Personally I think this issue should be treated in very serious way and we
should create similar boom to the biometric database issue.

Regards,
Evgeny

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Omer Zak <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: "Peter G. Neumann" <[email-masked] <neumann%40csl.sri.com>>

---

From: Dotan Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:59:03 +0300

> haven't been made public as far as I know.

It is important, but who cares? The average Israeli is too naive or
dumb to know or care anymore. Sorry.

(note: I do care)

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.