Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Charter and Mini-Charter Now online

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 13:40:43 +0200

Hi,

This is getting way way offtopic here.

Let me remind you that this mailing list is intended for intelligent
discussion of computers, programming and technical matters.

Trying to find a new location for the mailing list is offtopic - now that we
all know that Shlomi is coordinating the effort, list members that are
interested in helping him may contact him privately.

The charter is also offtopic here, as it is neither a technology nor a
programming language.
List members who are interested in the charter are welcome to contact
Shlomi. I don't see how the list as a whole can benefit from having one.

I'm really itching to moderate such discussions, but I won't. Please
moderate yourself.

Thanks,
Chen

________________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned for all viruses. 

Mercury Interactive Corporation
Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 14:07:28 +0200 (EET)

> This is getting way way offtopic here.

Given the frequency of discussions about the charter, the flamewars which
ensued and the acrimonious splits which occurred over placement of
commas and existence of English language articles in the charter, I'd dare
to say that we can allow the subject to be discussed in the mailing list.

> interested in helping him may contact him privately.

In order to move the mailing list to another place, we needed to go
through the process of redefining the charter of the mailing list.  This
affects all subscribers, so it was proper to discuss it in the mailing
list.

Most of the E-mail messages were not about the technicalities of moving
the mailing list, but about justifying the need for a charter, and about
the charter itself.

> Shlomi. I don't see how the list as a whole can benefit from having one.

The process of self-determination of a group is an exercise which should
be done by the whole group, and in public.  It is something which cannot
be done by a subgroup of people.

During the several years Hackers-IL existed, we indeed didn't bother with
building a charter, and one was not really needed.  Discussions about a
charter were started only when one became necessary.

> I'm really itching to moderate such discussions, but I won't. Please

I am sure all of us are busy in our own hacking endeavors, and don't have
time to bother with improving the charter once it has accomplished its
purpose of securing support from Hamakor for the mailing list.  So please
bear with us some more time.
                                        Thanks,
                                             --- Omer
My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Ori Idan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 16:12:27 +0200

I am happy that you say it.
I also feel that it is getting to be a too long discussion.
However finding new location for the list and building a web site for 
hackers-il is important I think.
I am sure that once everything is done, this discussion will come to an end.

--
Ori Idan

Chen Shapira wrote:
> Yahoo! Groups Links