Subject: General Purpose Programming on GPUs

From: Tal Rotbart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:52:53 +0200

There was recently an interesting article on Slashdot, regarding a framework
for creating general-purpose programs that run using the GPU (Graphic
Processing Unit) instead of the CPU.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/21/169200

This quote "...A shader program running on the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
achieves over 20 GFLOPS, roughly equivalent to a 10 GHz Pentium 4..." --
should wet your appetite.
What do you think? Is this worth pursuing? Do you think it can be made to do
complex FFT (fast Fourier transforms) and jump your SETI@Home result? ;)

Tal

________________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned for all viruses. 

Mercury Interactive Corporation
Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Dec 2003 12:04:43 +0200

Tal Rotbart <[email-masked]> writes:

> Do you think it can be made to do complex FFT (fast Fourier
> transforms)

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~kmorel/documents/fftgpu/

A more interesting question: GPUs probably have a non-negligible
degree of parallelism built-in. Can one run parallel programs on it?
MPI, anyone?

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked]