Subject: Spotted on #perl

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:08:19 +0300

Hi all!

(Please reply only to one list, unless you're subscribed to more).

Here are two edited conversations that recently took place on Freenode's #perl 
channel and which I added to my fortunes' collection:

http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/

I am rindolf. They should be somewhat amusing and hopefully they can start an 
interesting conversation here.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{
  <ferret>  LeoNerd: That was one of the first blobs of Java I wrote,
            it's allowed to be even more verbose and convoluted than
            Java normally is. ;P
 <rindolf>  ferret: link?
  <ferret>  /las Cat.java
 <rindolf>  ferret: an implementation of the UNIX "cat" program in
            Java??
  <ferret>  Actually, specifically the GNU cat program, and only a
            subset thereof.
 <rindolf>  ferret: oh.
 <rindolf>  ferret: how many lines did it take?
         *  f00li5h heads off to #codegolf and tries to convince them to
            allow java submissions
  <ferret>  rindolf: It's mostly argument parser.
 <rindolf>  ferret: I once implemented a parser for a subset of the
            Bourne Shell args, in really hideous ANSI C.
 <rindolf>  f00li5h: good luck.
 <rindolf>  f00li5h: Java Golf...
 <f00li5h>  yeah, for sure!
 <rindolf>  Java Golf would be longer than a non-Golfed Perl program.
 <f00li5h>  rindolf: this is true
 <rindolf>  f00li5h: COBOL Golf!

    The Pyramid of Code Golf on Freenode's #perl
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

and:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{
        <pasteling>  "struggling intern" at 129.162.1.31 pasted "Here it
                     is.." (220 lines, 5.7K) at
                     http://sial.org/pbot/25279
 <strugglingintern>  woohoo
 <strugglingintern>  there it goes...
          <rindolf>  strugglingintern: oh my god!
          <rindolf>  strugglingintern: this code looks really bad.
 <strugglingintern>  heh...
          <rindolf>  strugglingintern: if ($records eq 0 ) - don't you
                     want ($records == 0)?
          <rindolf>  strugglingintern: do you have unit tests?
          <rindolf>  strugglingintern: and you should factor it better.
          <rindolf>  strugglingintern: and possibly use Template Toolkit
                     or something.
          <rindolf>  strugglingintern: and you may have some
                     HTML-injection (or XSS) problems.
            <Ani-_>  rindolf: and probably SQL injection problems.
          <rindolf>  Ani-_: indeed!
 <strugglingintern>  :-/
            <Ani-_>  strugglingintern: really, ask them to review that
                     code when they get back.
 <strugglingintern>  alright
 <strugglingintern>  I appreciate it anyway
          <rindolf>  strugglingintern: how long have you been
                     programming perl?
 <strugglingintern>  hah, about 3 months
 <strugglingintern>  This isn't all my code ;)
 <strugglingintern>  I'll look into it
 <strugglingintern>  Thanks guys (and gals).
          <rindolf>  strugglingintern: you're welcome.
 <strugglingintern>  not my choice ;)
 <strugglingintern>  it's my 3rd week here :)
          <rindolf>  Amazing how much more experienced programmers can
                     tell a code is bad from a quick glance.
          <rindolf>  It's a bit scary.
            <Ani-_>  nothing amazing about it. It's called skill. :)
           <The_SB>  yeh even I can tell it by a look
            <ology>  It's not scary or amazing at all.
            <ology>  It is called experience!
            <Ani-_>  rindolf: what do you find scary?
            <Ani-_>  rindolf: that experienced programmers can tell it?
                     Or the code itself?
            <Ani-_>  I would disagree on the first one but agree on the
                     later! :)
          <rindolf>  Ani-_: no, that I'm so experienced.
          <rindolf>  Ani-_: I hope I don't sound out as a snob.
            <ology>  narcissism is fun
          <rindolf>  I should get a life.
          <rindolf>  Get a girlfriend, go to movies.
          <rindolf>  Instead all I do is write Perl.
          <rindolf>  And chat about writing Perl.
           <Ikarus>  a life, tried that, didn't mix with me

    -- Scary Perl Expertise on Freenode's #perl
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish      [email-masked]
Homepage:        http://www.shlomifish.org/

If it's not in my E-mail it doesn't happen. And if my E-mail is saying
one thing, and everything else says something else - E-mail will conquer.
    -- An Israeli Linuxer