Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Perl 6 Critique [Troll / Rant warning]

From: Tal Rotbart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 04:12:12 +1100

I quote: "...which use it [Perl] for many uses including many
mission-critical ones..."
Allow me to snort in laughter.  The only scenario in which I saw Perl used
in a mission-critical system (our in-house version control and build system)
it sucked like a 3,000 horse-power Hoover.

"... and many things that constantly have to be maintained and extended."
Alright, enough already! Stop! I can't breath anymore!!!

Tal

-----Original Message-----
From: Shlomi Fish [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 8:47 PM
To: Perl in Israel
Cc: Hackers-IL
Subject: [hackers-il] Perl 6 Critique

Check:

http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/perl6-critique.html

for a criticism of the way Perl 6 is headed and why it isn't good for the 
people.

Comments, suggestions, corrections, and much more importantly - flames are 
welcome.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish
-- 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish      [email-masked]
Homepage:        http://shlomif.il.eu.org/

I don't believe in fairies. Oops! A fairy died.
I don't believe in fairies. Oops! Another fairy died.

Yahoo! Groups Links

________________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned for all viruses. 

Mercury Interactive Corporation
Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:33:09 +0200

On Sunday 29 February 2004 19:12, Tal Rotbart wrote:
> Allow me to snort in laughter.  The only scenario in which I saw Perl
> used in a mission-critical system (our in-house version control and
> build system) it sucked like a 3,000 horse-power Hoover.

I beg to differ. Perl is a tool, nothing more. If you found fault with 
it, perhaps the blame was in the hand yielding the tool and not the 
tool itself.

I have seen Perl both used and abused in many mission critical systems 
and the difference between the cases was always in the programmer and 
designer of the system, nothing inherent in the tool.

It is true that Perl gives you enough freedom to hang yourself while 
shooting your leg while it is in your mouth, but the person that chose 
to abuse that freedom is always the programmer.

All of this is not to say that Perl is without faults, just that its 
faults is not what most people compain about in rants such as yours.

Cheers,
Gilad