Subject: Interesting Project: "Sappeur Compiler"

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:59:35 +0300

Spotted on Freshmeat.net:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/sappeur-compiler

Reading from it:

<<<
Sappeur is a safe and efficient programming language. The memory safety of 
Sappeur programs is equivalent to Java or .NET without having the performance 
penalties of those languages. This is implemented with smart pointers and 
stack allocation of objects and arrays. Also, arrays of objects and 
synchronous destructors are possible. Sappeur executables are native code and 
do not use a garbage collector. The safety properties of Sappeur are assured 
by a proper type system (which forbids weird pointer casts for example) and 
runtime checks. This is true for both single- and multithreaded programs. The 
Sappeur compiler translates programs into safe C++ programs, which makes 
integration with existing C++ code simple. Finally, Sappeur technology could 
be used to safely and efficiently execute untrusted code, like Java applets 
promised to do. This would be achieved by a safe runtime library and trusted 
compilation providers.

Very interesting.

I wonder how it prevents random access to arrays from causing a segfault. Do 
they do run-time checks for each access or do they have something like 
Eiffel's design-by-contract programming which makes sure wrong values from 
appearing in the first place.

I'd like to experiment with it a little in my spare time.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

Deletionists delete Wikipedia articles that they consider lame.
Chuck Norris deletes deletionists whom he considers lame.

Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post - http://shlom.in/reply .