Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Hypertext Bombs

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:52:45 +0300

> Do you know of any other prominent hypertext bombs?

I think www.livejournal.com could qualify by the same mechanism, a community
of people, linking to each other's pages. I suppose there are more online
blog communities that are similar.

More interesting, there may be such academic network, formed unintentionaly.
Many professors have homepages, and many of those link of the pages of
people they worked with. This could also create a "hyper-text bomb" effect
in such way. Think what would have happened to erdos's page under such
system.

If I were google, I'd give much lower "weight" to links within a domain, for
this reason.

Perhaps google does that already, when I searched for "shlomif", the top
link lead to your Technion page, not to the Advogato page.

---

From: Alon Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:36:36 +0300 (IDT)

> link lead to your Technion page, not to the Advogato page.

  Moreover, they consider closely coupled sites with many links between them
as a lower pagerank, as they probably are parts of one website (like msn and
microsoft, or CNet, not to mention many porn spammers).

  Alon

-- 
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([email-masked]) ICQ:1366540
GPG public key at http://alon.wox.org/pubkey.txt
Key fingerprint = A670 6C81 19D3 3773 3627  DE14 B44A 50A3 FE06 7F24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 -=[ Random Fortune ]=-
You should all JUMP UP AND DOWN for TWO HOURS while I decide on a NEW CAREER!!

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 13:43:11 +0300 (IDT)

> link lead to your Technion page, not to the Advogato page.

Yes, but the Advogato page is the second hit. On a search for mulix it's
Number three. I think it used to be one of the first hits on a search for
"shlomi fish", but it no longer seems to be the case.

In any case, it's still a very top hit. In comparison to the number of
relevant pages.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

>
>
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/

My opinions may seem crazy, but they all make sense. Insane sense, but
sense nonetheless.

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Apr 2003 13:53:38 +0300

Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]> writes:

> Number three. 

In both cases the top hits are home pages. It may simply be the case
that Google give home pages a very high weight.

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked]