Subject: Fwd: Nmap is actually fast in the future.

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:33:35 +0300

Fyodor is nmap's creator. 
warning: tiny (epsilontic, even) matrix spoiler ahead. 

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 16:54:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
To: /dev/null <[email-masked]>
Subject: Nmap is actually fast in the future.

Forwarded-by: "Frank Byrum" <[email-masked]>

From: Fyodor [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2003 5:17 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Whoa!

Hi Everyone.  There is a disturbance in the force!  You may recall a couple
weeks ago that MS started recommending Nmap on some of their web pages.
That was strange, but I did not foresee the anomalous omens that would
ensue.

Like almost any self-respecting geek, I bought tickets to 'Matrix: Reloaded'
several weeks back (no spoilers, I promise).  After all, who can resist the
combination of philosophical mind games and Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) in
that tight leather bodysuit?

So after waiting an hour in a line snaking out of the theatre to the parking
lot, I finally got in to my 10pm Wednesday showing.  All was going well
until Trinity needed to do some hacking.  Oh, no!  I was sure we'd see a
silly "Hackers"-esque 3D animated "hacking scene". Not so!  Trinity is as
smart as she is seductive!  She whips out 
Nmap (!!!), scans her target, finds 22/tcp open, and proceeds with an über
ssh technique!  I was so surprised, I almost jumped out of my seat and did
the "r00t dance" right there in the theatre!

There can be only one explanation: Carie-Anne has the hots for me!

Now your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to secure a screen-shot
of that few-second episode!  Not only is it important for the coolness
factor, but we can learn how Nmap looks in the future by studying that
output!  So perhaps some of you gray hats in the audience have a quality
DivX/MPG of the movie already?  Let me know if you do (but no 2GB email
attachments please!)  Or perhaps someone could sneak a quiet flashless
digital camera into the theatre and take a shot.  But you must react quickly
as it is literally only up for a few seconds (Nmap is actually fast in the
future).  Do this, and you will prove that you are truly "the one"!  I'll
also put your name and a thumbnail on the front page of Insecure.Org if you
send in the best shot.

In other news, a few people have inquired about further survey results.
Sorry I have been so slow, but things have been very busy. I'm pretty sure
I'll be able to send more by next week.  I hope to have a couple other
announcements ready for next week as well!

Keep it real,
Fyodor

--------------------------------------------------
For help using this (nmap-hackers) mailing list, send a blank email to 
[email-masked] . List run by ezmlm-idx (www.ezmlm.org).

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org

---

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:44:09 +0300

> of that few-second episode!  Not only is it important for the coolness

http://www.fuxoft.cz/tmp/matrix2log.jpg

In case someone wanted it...

Gilad.