Subject: Re: Suggestion for discussion

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:00:58 +0300

On Wednesday 30 July 2008, Tal Abir wrote:
> Hi,
> Is anyone interested in discussion on Design Pattern implementation in C++?
>

Just as a note, here are some of my original sentiments regarding the 
original "Design Patterns" book:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hackers-il/message/1971

What I'm saying there is:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{
So, with great expectation I bought the CD-ROM version of the book, which
contained the book in HTML format. That, and the fact that it occupied
only a few tens of megabytes made reading the book a very good
experience convenience-wise. However, right now I have an ambivalent
feeling toward the book. AFAICT, a large part of the book was dedicated to
try to convince me that it was actually possible to do OOP in C++[1],
rather than to explain why the patterns were useful.

I believe I would have enjoyed it more, had it used Perl or Python or
some other OO dynamically-typed langauge as the language for its
code. But, with C++, I'm having difficulty separating between patterns
that are actually useful to patterns that help overcome C++
idiosyncrecies.
}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I should note Paul Graham mentions here - http://www.paulgraham.com/icad.html 
that :

{{{{{{{{{{{{
Peter Norvig found that 16 of the 23 patterns in Design Patterns 
were "invisible or simpler" in Lisp.
}}}}}}}}}}}}

(linking to http://www.norvig.com/design-patterns/ )

There's also more in the thread.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
"The Human Hacking Field Guide" - http://xrl.us/bjn8q

I met a guy in the bar, talked to her and she gave me her phone number.