Subject: Why don't we have agents, indeed?

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 14:19:09 +0300

http://www.nickfortescue.com/2006/04/agents-for-software-engineers.html

Is there anyone, who tried his hand representing software developers?
If yes, how did it turn out?
How do architects (the kind who design buildings) handle this?

                                       --- Omer
-- 
Every good master plan involves building a time machine.  Moshe Zadka
My own blog is at http://tddpirate.livejournal.com/

My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: "Tzahi Fadida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 19:09:04 +0200

I did not read the article, but there is such a thing.
I personally don't like them so much because it's a two edge sword.
Even if you do not want to or planning something else they keep
pushing their stuff on you since they earn money from comissions.
That is not to say they are completely irrelevant, but I prefer choosing
my own steps most of the time and I don't like the whole CV business.
I prefer recommendations.

You usually find them in employment agencies, usually they approach you,
usually they run the place. They don't put you on the general pool but
handle you themselves.

Of course different agencies will classify you differently. For example, a small agency
will sometime have a lower standard of who is "VIP" as they call it. Because, they get
less people but it does not mean they don't work the same, however, it does means
they probably have less powerfull CEO/CTO etc contacts on companies.

Regards,
	tzahi. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Omer Zak
> Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 1:19 PM
> To: hackers-il
> Subject: [hackers-il] Why don't we have agents, indeed?
> 
> Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: guy keren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 00:57:50 +0300 (IDT)

> How do architects (the kind who design buildings) handle this?

he's already said it - programmers are back-stage people. they don't sell
the software - not even in open-source software. on the other hand, all
the others are the front-people - the ones that the public recognizes.
thus, they both do the job, and perform in the publications.

you could ask the same question about great aeronautics engineers, great
electronic engineers, etc.

the only programmer (if he was ever a programmer) that actually sells
things that i'm aware of, is steve jobes. and he doesn't need an agent ;)

-- 
guy

"For world domination - press 1,
 or dial 0, and please hold, for the creator." -- nob o. dy

---

From: Ori Idan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:10:41 +0300

I do not agree, we programmer's sell our talent, just like an actor
sells his talent to play in movies.
We are back stage since no one actualy sees us, people only see the end
result of our work and sometimes not even that.

Anyway for the subject of this thread, I did try this and it works great
as long as you find the right agent.
The agent should be one that understands your need (and that is not easy
to find) and that will also understand what your capabilities are.
So it should not just be a sales person, it should be someone with some
background in computer sciense.

-- 
Ori Idan