Subject: Ongoing Translation of ESR's "Homesteading the Noosphere"

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:40:05 +0300 (IDT)

I started to translate ESR's "Homesteading the Noosphere". You can find
what I have now (the Introduction and one other chapter) here:

http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/homesteading/

(OpenOffice, HTML, and PDF formats)

I'll appreciate any help in either translating or proof-reading the
translation. E-mail me if you volunteer.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/

There's no point in keeping an idea to yourself since there's a 10 to 1
chance that somebody already has it and will share it before you.

---

From: Beni Cherniavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:34:53 +0300 (IDT)

> translation. E-mail me if you volunteer.
I've read what you have so far.

- The translation should link to the English original.

- I see you abandoned the orginal title; the "noosphere" concept is
  quite central to the rest of the article -- but I can't find any
  translation retaining it that is nearly as catchy as your title...

- Typo: about the middle, "Im HaPragmati Shone Mashehu," --
  s/Shone/Sone/ (s/<heh>/<aleph>/, funny how it moves to a different
  letter in the transcription).

- The naive translation of "fork" as "Mazleg" sounds strange.  I guess
  the English term has roots in unix fork() calls, but even before
  that, in English a tree, road or river can "fork", which is not the
  case in Hebrew.  Oxford English->Hebrew dictionary translates the
  noun "fork" as "Mis'af" and the verb as "Lehista'ef".  There is no
  non-reflexive form for "he forked the project", this seems to be a
  jargon extension.  "Lesa'ef" is one obvious suggestion but a
  Hebrew->Russian dictionary gives "to cut branches from a tree" as
  one of its meaning which is directly opposite to what we want to
  say.

  I'd go for "Lefatzel" or "Lefaleg"; a fork would be "Hista'afut" or
  "Feleg".

-- 
Beni Cherniavsky <[email-masked]>

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:02:44 +0300 (IDT)

> - The translation should link to the English original.

OK.

> - I seeyou abandoned the orginal title; the "noosphere" concept is

I did not purposely abandon the title. I believed noosphere would
translate into Hebrew as "Shmama". How would you translate it? "Sfar"?
"Eretz Lo-Meyusheveth"?

> letter in the transcription).

Fixed.

> - The naive translation of "fork" as "Mazleg" sounds strange.I guess

Se'ef is hardly used as "to cut branches from a tree". At least I never
heard of it used this way. OTOH, it does has a meaning of dividing into
sections which is what we want. So, I'm going to use it.

> I'd go for "Lefatzel" or "Lefaleg"; a fork would be "Hista'afut" or

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> =================================================================
> To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked] with
> the word "unsubscribe" in the message body, e.g., run the command
> echo unsubscribe | mail [email-masked]
>