Subject: FYI: internet explorer freezes windows 2000 with ODD circumstances(SOLVED).

From: "Tzahi Fadida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:54:06 +0200

Just to document the phenomena on google:
Note: everything under the same condition worked for months, and was probably
triggered by a security update somehow.

I recently got a problem where windows 2000 freezes after surfing for a
while(usually 10-15min) with internet explorer 5, 5.5 , 6.0 and sometimes throws
these Blue screens - BSOD:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
KMODE_EXCTENSION_NOT_HANDLED

with no apparent connection.
first thing i used 2 programs to check the memory - DOCMEM and GOLDMEMORY.
perfect.
upgrading from sp2 to sp4 did nothing as well as upgrading to 6.0 sp1.
In addition Mozilla and MozillaFirebird keep the computer going for a day and
then crashes it.
I have nvidia geforece mx200 drivers and downgrading to several early drivers
that worked did not do the trick.
I removed quite a lot of programs one by one and drivers when eventually i
solved it.
I removed: flashget, download accelarator, vmware from the computer.
I don't know who was to blame specifically or combined but i have a good feeling
that its flashget combined with download accelarator because i went over dozens
of logs of other people and seen a commonality that was ignored - that flashget
was installed.
I did the connection because i found an article from microsoft claiming gozilla
can freeze your computer with ATI drivers.
(vmware was installed with several versions before and did no harm, and was even
disabled before removal)

this is insane! just another example of the helpnessness of closed source,
especially since sometimes you can't even get a descent memory dump!.

hope this will help others not to reformat :) or at least work with linux.

* - * - *
Tzahi Fadida
MSc Student
Information System Engineering Area
Faculty of Industrial Engineering & Management
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
Technion City, Haifa, Israel 32000
Email [email-masked]
Technion Email: [email-masked]
* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/spamwarning.html