Subject: Win 98 SE Migration

From: Jason Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:24:12 -0800 (PST)

Shalom,
I recently had a heated debated today regarding Win 98.
A guy I work with has a system running a previous version of Win 98 and
He wants to upgrade to Win 98 SE.
So I gave him a full version copy of Win 98 SE.
He went to install SE over top the Older 98 but he received a message 
that stated that he already has 98 installed and it prompted him for a 
Win 98 upgrade disc.
So I told him to just preform a high level format and then he should just
be able to use the full version to install.
But then one of our nosy co-workers chimed in and basically told him that
he was going to have to do a low level format in order to complete the install.
(He later told me it had something to do with the ini files)
I still think he's full of s#!t. because another friend of mine had the exact 
same problem going from Win 95A to Win 95B.
Has anybody out there moved 98 1st ED to 98 SE?
Please share your experiences!
Toda,

Jason Phillips,
00010010

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
 Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page. www.yahoo.com

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 05:22:44 +0200

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:24:12 -0800 (PST), Jason Phillips
<[email-masked]> wrote:

[snip]
> I still think he's full of s#!t. because another friend of mine had the

AFAIK, a high level format just scans the disk for defects, and
recreates the filesystem, effectively 'erasing' the device. Data can
be recovered by an experienced professional, because it is not erased
per-se, but it's not there as far as 'regular' software is concerned,
operating system included.

A low level format actually recreate the hard-disk's structure. It
redefines what a sector is, what the gap between sectors is, how they
are ordered, etc. Maybe even the distance between tracks, I'm not
sure. Although data is not specifically erased, there's a high
likelyhood that some data will be overwritten. Today there is no need
to perform low-level formats anymore, because hard-drives come
preformatted and have much smarter controllers.

So yes, your co-worker is actually full with fecal matter.

http://itmanagement.webopedia.com/TERM/F/format.html

> Please share your experiences! 

If your friend is reformatting his computer anyway, it might be a good
time to tell him or her that Windows is not the only OS out there, and
point him or her to the GNUbies mailing list, where he can get help
and support with his Linux installation, and also join Linux-IL for
discussions of all things Linux.

http://www.iglu.org.il/mailing-lists/gnubies-il.html
http://www.iglu.org.il/mailing-lists/linux-il.html

This list is NOT the right list to discuss OS upgrades and help you
with them. We'd love to delve more into the technical details of why
noone does low level format today though.

-- Arik

---

From: Jason Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:03:38 -0800 (PST)

Arik,
Thanks for the conformation

Arik Baratz <[email-masked]> wrote:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:24:12 -0800 (PST), Jason Phillips
<[email-masked]> wrote:

[snip]

-- Arik

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo! Groups Links

   To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hackers-il/
  
   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]
  
   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. 

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com