Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Summary of a Bash Lecture

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:02:32 +0200

> 
> which does bring up an interesting questions: assume all tools being
> equally suited to the task at end, in that each tool has unique
> advantages and disadvantages. how do you choose?

if you have the same knowledge and experience in both, and both are 100%
fitting to the task, you can consider the following things:

1) maintainability: write it in a language most likely others can work with
2) better compiler/run-time enviroment
3) buzzword compatible. if you have the time - do it in java not python.
Clients think it sounds better.
4) Random bias. I like writing in Jscript. 
5) Look-ahead: if you write it in VB - you can't run it on Sun!
6) Monte-Carlo method? 
7) Cute features. Jscript has sucky date object - but I can get Unix time in
windows in one command.
8) Cute bugs. VB implements arrays with linked lists. They take forever to
work with. I actually implement arrays in C, and stick them in as DLL's into
VB programs to get 500% increase in performance.

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:55:29 +0200 (IST)

> VB programs to get 500% increase in performance.

How preposterous. While the array ADT can be implemented using a linked
list, a linked list is by definition not an array or at least not a
vector, becauses accesing the k'th element is O(k) instead of O(1). If I
wanted to use a linked list instead of an array, I would have used a soft
linked list (using references), but I'm not sure it can be done in VB.

I wonder whether they are going to change it in the new version of VB
which from what I understood will also have object inheritance and other
goodies. (Not that I'm still going to use it)

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish
  
> 
> 
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
> 
> 
> 
> 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked] 
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of 
converting any statement that follows it into a true one.