Subject: Do you want to send E-mail from hell?

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 00:35:50 +0300 (IDT)

See: http://www.hell.org/

                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  Some Politically-Correct ISPs block E-mail which
comes from Hell.  Unfortunately, some of the brightest minds needed for
the IGLU Cabal languish in Hell.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Apr 2002 10:42:44 +0300

> See: http://www.hell.org/

In the good old days when some people left their computers open to
telnet connections to port 25 etc, I remember congratulating my
friends on the birth of a child forging email from [apologies to
people who might take it more seriously than intended] [email-masked]
(don't remember the actual address)...

Nowadays, just .il seems to be enough for some people... ;-)

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked] 
[Lisp] is the only computer language that is beautiful. 
                      - Neal Stephenson

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:09:36 +0300

> (don't remember the actual address)...

If you don't try to fool someone too sophisticated (e.g., an Outlook user ;))
you can fake a message's "From" as if coming from anywhere, even if the
computer in question isn't an open relay. Of course the forgery won't stand
close scrutiny, because the real sender's IP will be visible in a Received:
line, and the supposed sender's normal host might not be there. I'll follow
this message by a forgery from "Oleg", let's see if it works :)

(those who are reading the linux-kernel mailing list, saw that someone sent
an email supposedly from Linus on April 1st, and several people believed it,
even though they are sophisticated, it was April 1st, and Linus himself is on
holiday).

> Nowadays, just .il seems to be enough for some people... ;-)

This was my first reaction to that hell.org address :(

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |      Thursday, Apr 4 2002, 22 Nisan 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Diplomat: A man who always remembers a
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |woman's birthday but never her age.

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Apr 2002 11:27:07 +0300

"Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]> writes:

> line, and the supposed sender's normal host might not be there. 

That was, of course, the whole point of telneting to port 25 on the
recipient's host - to make the email appear as if by an act of
G-d. Otherwise, forging the From, Reply-to, even Sender fields is
easy: e.g. my postings here appear as if from
[email-masked], although that's just an alias.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:36:32 +0300

> [email-masked], although that's just an alias.

I said I'll follow my email with a forgery from Oleg, but this wasn't it -
that was a real-live genuine Oleg posting ;)

Apparently, yahoogroups saw through my forgery and didn't post my fake
email :( Too bad I don't have time to continue playing this game :) It
does work, as some friend to whom I once sent a mail supposedly from
"[email-masked]" knows all too well :)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |      Thursday, Apr 4 2002, 22 Nisan 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |A bird in the hand is safer than one
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |overhead.