Subject: Unproductive days + Supporting latest technologies

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:38:50 +0200 (IST)

During some of my days, I seem to spend too much time checking and sending
E-mail, surfing the web, or doing other minute stuff, instead of working
on my homework, or doing some serious hacking. And strangely enough, Joel
Spolsky wrote a piece that he feels the same way too:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000339.html

Of course, during some days I have very good productive rushes, when I
manage to get a lot done. I suggest reading the article.

The last few paragraphs are interesting because they cover how companies
are supposed to support all ofthe latest emerging technologies. IMO, (and
from what I understood in Joel's) all of those Buzzwords that we see every
day, that are emerging like mushrooms after the rain, are not necessarily
required to be supported in order for a product to be good. So your
program's format is a well-formed text file and not an XML one - so what?
XML tends to be over-verbose and hard to follow and fix by hand. So, it's
not a panacea. And I personally find Perl much more sensible for a lot of
XML tasks than XSLT.

I believe Joel is right that he says that your program has to work and can
only be based on mature, well-accepted technologies. I believe the W3C,
JavaSoft and Microsoft try to create too many buzzwords with too many
confusing technologies and SPECs behind them.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"