Subject: RE: [hackers-il] We had computer viruses. Now tumors?

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:51:24 +0200

A running process is a resource.

The fork bomb spawned short-lived processes en masse. The antidote competes
for the same resource (number of processes) but once it has a process it
will not relinquish it for 100 seconds. This starves the fork-bomb on one
hand but frees the CPU on the other.

-- Arik

-----Original Message-----
From: Chen Shapira [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 6:46 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [hackers-il] We had computer viruses. Now tumors?

> This antedote really works. If you manage to get a shell running, that
> is ;) On my computer it "won" in about a minute.

I'm not sure why it works...

A sleeping thread should be taking about 0 resources, no? (I think I
understood this from Steven's Advanced Unix)
And I don't think that the number of running processes is in any way limited
(except by resources).

So why would a bunch of sleeping processes bother anything?

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Dan Kenigsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:05:57 +0200 (IST)

Which reminds me of a method used to put out burning Kuwaiti oil wells:
drop a small bomb on top of it. when the bomb explodes, it suffocates the flame.