Subject: Architecture of Software

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 15:10:21 +0300 (EET DST)

Those days I am reading the book "Software Architect Bootcamp" by R.
Malveau and T.J. Mowbray.

Turns out that there is a series of books about software architecture,
edited by T.J. Mowbray and apparently published by Prentice Hall.
There is also a Worldwide Institute of Software Architects (Web site at
http://www.wwisa.org/).

The book has non-negligible amount of bullshit, but is nevertheless
somewhat informative for someone who did not read other books aiming
specifically at software architecture and the profession of software
architects.

I wonder what is already known about the subject among the Hackers-IL
participants.
                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  We found no certified professional cabal
architects.
The deaf in Israel demand 100% captioning of TV news programs and other
Hebrew language TV programs, as well as Hebrew language movies.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 20:40:03 +0300 (IDT)

> I wonder what is already known about the subject among the Hackers-IL

All I know is that sometimes project teams appoint one or more persons as
architects, who aim to determine the general course of actions that should
be taken with the code. Sort of like Linus Torvalds is to the Linux kernel
or Larry Wall is to Perl.

Is that what you mean?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Jun 2002 20:55:56 +0300

Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sort of like Linus Torvalds is to the Linux kernel

You forgot the best known example: Bill Gates for Windows (BG's
official position at M$ is "Chief Software Architect").

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked] 
"A sense of the fundamental decencies is parceled out unequally at birth."

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 22:02:55 +0300 (EET DST)

> > Malveau and T.J. Mowbray.

[... snipped my own stuff ...]

> or Larry Wall is to Perl.

First of all, there may be inappropriate terminology at work.
What I (and the book) mean in the term "software architect" is the role,
which is similar to that of architects who design buildings.

Software architects deal with issues like modularity, design patterns,
design for change, complexity management.

The software architecture function apparently is not fully recognized as
yet.  Several projects still employ people, who act as software
architects, but without the requisite training.
                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  We are still looking for a chief software
architect to round out the skill set.
The deaf in Israel demand 100% captioning of TV news programs, Hebrew
language movies and other Hebrew TV & cable TV programs.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html