Subject: Interesting News

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:02:54 +0300

Before this group turns into a "to scheme or not to scheme" debate club, using
paintball guns (and pretty soon, automatic weapons) to resolve our differences,
here's something completely unrelated.

Motif has gone open source! This is very interesting, because Motif 2.1 (and
not that 10-year-old 1.2) may actually be a good fight for gtk and qt. IBM
also has complete Hebrew support for Motif 2. (closed source, at least for
now).

See http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/ for more info. It's interesting to see
how the "open source" idea is spreading like wildfire. Remember that Motif was
probably the most important Closed Source stronghold in the Unix world until
now.
I wonder how this will continue: will we see (at least parts of) Windows
distributed with source?  Will the idea eventually catch on to other
zero-"alut shulit" areas, like music?

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |      Tuesday, May 16 2000, 11 Iyyar 5760
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |We aim to please, you aim too, please.
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |(sign in a gas station men's room)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:14:32 +0300

> also has complete Hebrew support for Motif 2. (closed source, at least for

most of us who had the pleasure of working with both gtk/qt and motif, will not
be switching to motif anytime soon. Motif is broken unrelated to the license.
Ofcourse now that its open source - we stand a better chance of having its
braindamaging defaults fixed.

> nowi

If anyone here starts arguing on the legal points of the license - I'll
personallt hunt him down and paintball him.
.
> zero-"alut shulit" areas, like music?

do we want to see the MS-windows sourcecode? personally - I see enough
bad&wrong code during my workday. I'd rather avoid it on my free time.

--
Chen Shapira	Web Developer and Linux Activist
The algorithm for finding the longest path in a graph is NP-complete.
For you systems people, that means it's *real slow*.

---

From: Ury Segal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:15:08 +0300

Nadav Har'El wrote:

[...]

> because Motif 2.1 (and
> not that 10-year-old 1.2) may actually be a good fight for gtk and qt.

Motif cannot put a good fight with QT. Motif is the most horrible
GUI API. I programmed with Windows API, Mac ToolBox, Java, Motif, Perl/TK and
QT - and Motif is on the "suffered so much I wanted to die" list.

My top chices are QT and Java.

Let's start a new holly war.

> IBM
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Best friends, most artistic, class clown Find 'em here:
> http://click.egroups.com/1/4054/9/_/_/_/958464178/
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:06:05 +0300 (IDT)

> personallt hunt him down and paintball him.

OK, so just two points are relevant: What does ESR say, and what does RMS
say?
--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html
http://www.linux.org.il -- we put the penguin in .com

---

From: Omer Mussaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:02:16 +0300

> here's something completely unrelated.

Note that the answer to question "to scheme or not to scheme?" is "yes!".( In my
case it is "#t".)

--
Omer Mussaev    051-308-214   mailto:[email-masked]
systems programmer, Mercury Interactive/RND/Conduct/core

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 23:42:47 +0300 (IDT)

> Note that the answer to question "to scheme or not to scheme?" is "yes!".( In my

I'm glad you're moving for R5RS compliance. Perhaps I'll let you program
on my SchemeOS <wink>

a-good-standard-is-a-dead-standard-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html
http://www.linux.org.il -- we put the penguin in .com