Subject: Idea: Worm with EULA

From: Alon Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:11:12 +0200 (IST)

Hi,
  I have an intersting project suggestion: Write a M$-Email worm that before
doing any damage displays an EULA asking the user to agree to a quite
standard disclaimer and also agree to pay us money and anything we want.
Only if the user agrees, the worm spreads itself (as mail worms do).
Spreading this worm should be legal, as any infected user explictly agreed
to be infected (without knowing it's a worm).
  This example will illustrate the problem with closed-source and EULAs. If
you can't look at the source, you're a fool to agree to no-warranty and
other draconic EULA terms.
  IANAL, but I think spreading this worm will not be consider as a criminal
offence. If this does not suffice, we could actually tell the user what the
worm does in the EULA he supposedly agrees to. Nobody reads that stuff
anyway.

  What do you think?

  Alon

[Disclaimer: This e-mail does not advise the distribution of e-mail worms of
any kind and is for discussion purposes only.]

-- 
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([email-masked]) ICQ:1366540
The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why be a man when you can be a success?
		-- Bertolt Brecht

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:03:07 +0200

> offence. If this does not suffice, we could actually tell the user what the

Imagine going out to the street and asking people "Can I hit you? Say NO and
I won't!". Some of them will probably say "yes" for spite, and some will say
"yes" because they didn't understand what you said. So you hit them. Do you
think this is not criminal? If just one of them is able to prove that he
didn't understand what he was signing, the verbal "contract" can be declared
null by the court, and you find yourself in jail.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Monday, Sep 24 2001, 7 Tishri 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |A good programmer is someone who looks
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |both ways before crossing a one-way street.