Subject: RE: Orthodox beards, gas masks and beepers for deaf persons (was: Re: , [hackers-il] Re: facial hairius extremis)

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:33:46 +0200

Nadav Har'El wrote:

> Another, similar, idea: sirens are also broadcast over the radio. You
could
> have a small radio receiver set to a fixed station, and flash/vibrate when
> it senses a siren being broadcast. It would be even nicer if actual text
> messages could be broadcast over the radio, and I even saw this being done
> in England, but I don't think this technology is being used in Israel
> (especially not in Haifa).

It's called RDS, and it's in wide use in Israel. Most legit stations
transmit RDS with at least their station ID, and some go to extremes such as
broadcast sliding Coca-Cola commercials. You need an RDS enabled radio,
though.

-- Arik

******************************************************************
This mail message was scanned by Vidius Port Authority 
(Enterprise Edition) for unauthorized confidential and 
proprietary information.

http://www.vidius.com
******************************************************************

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:51:03 +0200

> (Enterprise Edition) for unauthorized confidential and 

Just curious - isn't the fact that a company is using this "Vidius Port
Authority" to protect itself, in itself confidential information? :)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |      Tuesday, Jan 22 2002, 9 Shevat 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The software said it requires Windows 95
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |or better, so I installed Linux.