Subject: Python, Tcl, Perl and Rindolf

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 02:11:34 +0200 (IST)

In another message I elaborated the subject of designing a computer
language based upon Chomsky's Universal Language.

I would like to capture the essence of Python, Tcl and Perl, in order to
guide the evolution of Rindolf (which aims at preserving the essence of
Perl).

Tcl had its origins as a command language for building scripts for
software packages, which need scripting languages.  As such, it is similar
to shell script languages.  Its statements are basically sequences of
whitespace-separated tokens.  The original Tcl had compact interpreter,
which could be embedded into software - even of embedded computer systems.
The monstrosity into which it grew in more recent years - does not matter,
philosophically speaking.

Perl tries to be as similar to human languages as possible/feasible/
profitable to be.

Python tries to be good for projects, which need structure in software.

In terms of optimal script size, I'd say that Tcl is ideal for commandline
work (you type a single command at a time) and scripts of at most 5
statements.

Perl would be good for scripts, which are based upon simple metaphors, and
which need to be written quickly.  Script size - up to say 100 statements.

Python would be a better choice for projects, which need planning and
thinking ahead of time.  For scripts longer than 10 statements, up to
say few thousand of lines.  Beyond that, I suppose that Lisp or Scheme
would be better.  However, I have been using Python successfully also in
commandline mode.  In contrast to Perl, Python does not try to mimic
Chomsky's Universal Language.

                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  RNA is the only ruler and the real ruler of the
world.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:58:28 +0200 (IST)

> which need to be written quickly.  Script size - up to say 100 statements.

Actually, I wrote programs which are much larger than that in Perl. And it
went pretty much OK.

> Chomsky's Universal Language.

My plan for Rindolf would be to keep the natural language feel of Perl,
while making it more consistent, and easier to master.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"