Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Bash Lecture Summary (Revision 4)

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:23:37 +0200

> Oh yes. Oh YES! I think the time I spent learning Python was the most
> efficient time I spent. The time I spent learning sh programming is
> pretty much wasted these days.

After seeing Omer trying to write rot13 using C, I can only say that
everyone feels happier using a language they know and love, in extreme cases
they'll do anything to prove that it's the right thing.

The point is that a *heavy* consideration in choosing the right tool, is
choosing a tool you know and love. Ofcourse it makes everything seems like a
nail, but it may be a very good nail.

And ofcourse Shlomi wasn't using a tool he loves, he was writing a lecture.
Python is the wrong tool for a shell lecture.
Besides, I'm sure Shlomi can use *his* favorite language, Perl to do it as
well as Python, but he wasn't interested in a language war, he was
interested in a shell lecture, so your post Moshez was both inflamatory and
slightly off-topic.

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:58:02 +0200 (IST)

> And ofcourse Shlomi wasn't using a tool he loves, he was writing a lecture.

And it seemed to me better for his audience that he explained for them the
limits of shell programming, then trying to fit the wrong tool for the 
wrong job.

--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez

---

From: Omer Mussaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:14:38 +0200

> limits of shell programming, then trying to fit the wrong tool for the

Next lecture: writing linux drivers in python :)

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:47:05 +0200 (IST)

> Next lecture: writing linux drivers in python :)

I hope you're giving it, since any lecture *I'd* give about Python would
more or less start with "what isn't Python good for"