Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Kernel compile problems

From: Omer Musaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:34:27 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexander Gavrilov [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 10:17 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [hackers-il] Kernel compile problems
> 
> 
> Hello every one !
> 
> I hope it is the right list !!!

Nadav, is this the right list?

> I currently now trying to compile kernel 2.2.16   rh7
> and i getting those errors:

edit /usr/src/path/to/your/kernel/Makefile and change CC=gcc to CC=kgcc

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to 
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:00:04 +0300

> Nadav, is this the right list?

Why are you asking me? You know I don't mind people posting on the wrong
list...
Just yesterday, on a 2-day old list with 3 people, one of the guys (who is
probably reading this - in which case, "hi!") started the usual thread of
"oh, this list is not for <this-and-that> kind of subject". I hate this
attitude (it may be necessary for lists with hundreds of posters, but
not for small lists).

Anyway, since you asked me: no, this is not the right list :) The right list
is, of course, linux-il, since this is a sister-mailing list of this one
with the specific aim of talking about Linux technicalities.

> edit /usr/src/path/to/your/kernel/Makefile and change CC=gcc to CC=kgcc

I was about to say the same. You took the words right out of my mouth :)
BTW, kgcc is available on Redhat 7.0. for anyone using Redhat 7.1, you'll
need to install the kgcc rpm from Redhat 7.0 on your system - and it will
work flawlessly.

P.S. You got to admit - this poster put all the relevant retails (kernel
2.2.16 and Redhat 7.0) in his question. I wish everyone did that...

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Wednesday, Aug 29 2001, 11 Elul 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The world is coming to an end ... SAVE
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |YOUR BUFFERS!!!

---

From: Alexander Gavrilov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:29:40 +0300

Omer Musaev wrote:

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Thanks  !

but still after i change the Makefile i geting this error :

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/arch/i386/boot'
kgcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -E -D__BIG_KERNEL__ -traditional -DSVGA_MODE=NORMAL_VGA  bootsect.S -o bbootsect.s
as86 -0 -a -o bbootsect.o bbootsect.s
make[1]: as86: Command not found
make[1]: *** [bbootsect.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [bzImage] Error 2

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:58:59 +0300

> make: *** [bzImage] Error 2

We're getting deeper and deeper into boring Linux technicalities...

/usr/bin/as86 comes from the dev86 RPM. I guess for some reason you don't
have that installed... Please install it, and try again. If afterwards
you are still missing commands, please search for the packages you're still
missing and install them too.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |      Thursday, Aug 30 2001, 11 Elul 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |A language is a dialect with an army.
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:23:41 +0300 (IDT)

Hint:

> > > I hope it is the right list !!!

It isn't

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir