Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Re: Linux Socket Filter

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:28:38 +0200

> We already did. In 2000. *Real* people (i.e., astronomers) 
> start counting
> with 0. Idiots (like the Vatican) start counting in 1. Guess who I
> look up to more?

I think the Vatican has more authority on when do *Christians* start
counting.
And it is counted as years since Christ or something.

On religious matters I think religious authorities can have their say.

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:00:09 +0200 (IST)

> I think the Vatican has more authority on when do *Christians* start

Yes, but who's using the Christian counting? 

> And it is counted as years since Christ or something.

That's the original reason for the count, but it's been mangled so 
many times, that it's probably better to go with a trusted source.

I'm wondering whether to take the RMS position that the 0 is so arbitrary
there's nothing to celebrate. Of course, I'll go out: because it's fun,
not because it's 2000 yrs (in some weird sense, where some months have
13 days) since something that may or may not have happened.
-- 
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
This is a signature anti-virus. 
Please stop the spread of signature viruses!

---

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:50:11 +0200

> 13 days) since something that may or may not have happened.

This reminds me of a sci-fi book I've read (I think it was called 
"expandable" but I'll have to check at home) where one of the characters 
wrote a program that calculated each day on which planet in the known 
universe  it was the character's birthday that day in terms of that star 
years. Upon receiving the information the character would embark of a 
whole day of celebrating and drinking himself silly because, well... 
it's his birthday, you see? ;-)

-- 
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
http://benyossef.com :: +972(54)756701
"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, while interrupts are disabled. "
	-- Murphey's law of kernel programing.