Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Summary of a Bash Lecture

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 13:59:02 +0200

> simple things in Icon. Let me just say that hey manage to 
> beat Perl's text
> processing on performance, clarity and power.

They beat perl on clarity? NO! How did they do *that*?

BTW. I'm not sure a direct decsendent count. Perl is a direct descendent of
sed/awk/shell, if snobol to icon as shell to perl, I don't want to use
snobol :-)

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:08:59 +0200 (IST)

> They beat perl on clarity? NO! How did they do *that*?

I don't know, but no one else managed. Python uses the same awful syntax
for regular expressions that Perl foisted upon the world.

> sed/awk/shell, if snobol to icon as shell to perl, I don't want to use

Well, I think it's more direct then that. It's more like Perl 4-> Perl 5

PS
Maybe we should move hackers-il to iglu.org.il too?

--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez