Subject: More about DVD

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:24:16 +0200

Continuing the saga about the shameful per^H^H^Hprosecution of people
distributing DeCSS (the code needed to view DVDs in Linux, or any any other
not-official-sanctioned DVD player), I found two funny, or at least
interesting, pages:

http://decss.zoy.org/	- 42 ways to distribute DeCSS
---------------------
	This one is really funny. My favorite is the way he put the compressed
        source code as DNS zones, and then use dvdcca.org's own name servers
        to get them! Is that ironic, or what :) Try the following:

for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org @206.40.40.1
done | perl -ne 's/\.//g; print pack("H224",$1) if(/^x([^z]*)/)' | gunzip 

        AMAZING :)
        Another amazing feature of this page is that just by looking at it
        (and the page itself doesn't contain any visible code), you have
        already downloaded one or two versions of the source code! Read the
        page for an explanation why.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ - Gallery of CSS Descramblers
-----------------------------------------
        Similar to the previous page, but more screenshots, and other
        wierd versions of the DeCSS program, including a seven line
        obfuscated perl program (but which requires you to decrypt the title
        key yourself) and versions of the program in non-existant computer
        and human languages, which supposedly make "free speech", and not
        source code :)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Thursday, Mar 8 2001, 13 Adar 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The socks in my drawer are like
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |snowflakes: No two are alike.

---

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 14:04:42 +0200

>         page for an explanation why.

Ha! hidding the decss code in html comments is cute.
Even better would be coding it in javascript as part of the page :-)