Subject: (OFFTOPIC) Listen and delete

From: Ishay Sommer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 16:24:32 +0200

Hello,

This is a little off topic but rather interesting.
I am looking for an mp3 player software, which will after playing a file
delete it. If anyone knows anything, please let me know.
While thinking about it, I also thought whether it's possible to include a
set of instructions at the end of an mp3 files, to delete itself after being
listened to?
Thanks, Ishay

---

From: Gaal Yahas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 16:42:49 +0200

> delete it. If anyone knows anything, please let me know.

On unix, start playing the mp3 and then unlink it. As soon as
the player software closes the file, the OS will free it.

> set of instructions at the end of an mp3 files, to delete itself after being

You can't do that in an unbeatable way. Assuming users control
the software that runs on their machines, they will always be
able to defeat schemes such as this.

-- 
Gaal Yahas <[email-masked]>

---

From: mulix <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 16:44:21 +0200 (IST)

> delete it. If anyone knows anything, please let me know.

Simply patching any open source mp3 palyer to delete a file after it's
played is quite trivial- perhpahs you could elaborate on what you want
to do?

> set of instructions at the end of an mp3 files, to delete itself after being

an mp3 file cannot 'delete' itself, since it is not executable. What it
can do is supply instruction to the player to delete it. This could be
done with and without the mp3 player's cooperation: With cooperation
means that every mp3 palyer will need to support this and you'll have to
extend the mp3 format itself. Without the mp3 player cooperation,
means you'll have to 'hack' the mp3 player's parsing of the mp3 file in
order to cause it to execute arbitrary code- you'll have to cause a
buffer overflow using only the mp3 file. Which could be a fun project...
But it would still be mp3 player && version specific. 

--
mulix

linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead

---

From: Boltyansky Boris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 21:21:56 +0200

Hi!

As far as I know there are programs that convert mp3 into exe.

mulix wrote:
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]