Subject: RE: [hackers-il] moving the mailing list

From: "Arik Baratz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:16:23 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alon Altman [mailto:[email-masked]]
[snip]
> 
> If you're handing out names, I want pseudo.hackers.org.il (map it to
> 132.69.253.140).
> 

alon.stud.technion.ac.il not good enough for you?

> Take a look at http://www.everydns.net/ as well for Name servers.

Will do

> > What I need now is hosting.
> That's not a problem. You can use vipe ;)..

Now here's a moral question: While I can use Vipe, I'm no longer a Technion student, and I only manage vipe as a favor. Using vipe for my own means (although it is for non-profit) doesn't smell just right for me. If you or Orna would convince me otherwise, then I will.

A graver issue is that having hackers.org.il (or hacker.org.il, which I also registered) will very likely attact attention to vipe. I still remember what happened when we tried to host www2.hofesh.org.il (to those who don't know, we served as a mirror site for www.hofesh.org.il, some [religious] guy complained to the Technion management, and we got slapped). I'd rather pay for hosting than go through this again.

And a third issue - vipe is not as strong as I'd like it to be when security is regarded. It exposes too many services, it has too many users, it is poorly administered (as far as security is concerned, and don't get any ideas!). Having hacker.org.il / hackers.org.il pointed that way will serve as incentive for wannabes to try and hack vipe. I don't want to invite this sort of activity on vipe, and on the Technion in general.

On a more positive note, vipe is currently backed up on a regular basis, for free, which is more than I can say for many commercial hosting providers. If we use it eventually it's a very big plus.

-- Arik

---

From: Alon Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:30:27 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

[snip]
> Now here's a moral question: While I can use Vipe, I'm no longer a
> Technion student, and I only manage vipe as a favor. Using vipe for my own
> means (although it is for non-profit) doesn't smell just right for me. If
> you or Orna would convince me otherwise, then I will.

  vipe already hosts www.haifux.org, and is generally dedicated to Linux
advocacy. In this regard, I don't think this would be a problem.

> A graver issue is that having hackers.org.il (or hacker.org.il, which I
> also registered) will very likely attact attention to vipe. I still
> remember what happened when we tried to host www2.hofesh.org.il (to those
> who don't know, we served as a mirror site for www.hofesh.org.il, some
> [religious] guy complained to the Technion management, and we got
> slapped). I'd rather pay for hosting than go through this again.

> And a third issue - vipe is not as strong as I'd like it to be when
> security is regarded. It exposes too many services, it has too many users,
> it is poorly administered (as far as security is concerned, and don't get
> any ideas!). Having hacker.org.il / hackers.org.il pointed that way will
> serve as incentive for wannabes to try and hack vipe. I don't want to
> invite this sort of activity on vipe, and on the Technion in general.
>

  This is a really big issue. Technion is as is bombarded by attack
attempts. We don't want to draw more fire to the Technion or vipe.

  If you consider paying for hosting on a voluntary basis, take a look at
www.fiasco.org.il.

> On a more positive note, vipe is currently backed up on a regular basis,
> for free, which is more than I can say for many commercial hosting
> providers. If we use it eventually it's a very big plus.

I agree.

-- 
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([email-masked]) ICQ:1366540
The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 -=[ Random Fortune ]=-
I selected E5 ... but I didn't hear "Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs"!