Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Atomica: looking for OpenLDAP consultant

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 11:00:24 +0200

Hi,

Would you like job offers to be on-topic or off-topic for this list?

Thanks,
Chen.

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 13:22:12 +0200 (EET)

I believe that job offers should be off-topic for this list.  This is
contrary to my position about the Linux-IL mailing list where job offers
are (and should be in my opinion) on-topic.

The reason:

Job offers typically look for a certain set of skills.
Linux-IL subscribers have a well-defined set of skills (or at least
relevances) - being Linux experts (at present or in the future).  So
Linux-related job offers are prpoerly targetted when sent to this mailin
glist.

But Hackers-IL subscribers could be of all flavors and skill sets.  Some
could be embedded system wizards with no Unix/Linux expertise, others may
be devout Haskellites with no database skills worthy of mention, etc.  So
a job offer based upon set of skills to the Hackers-IL mailing list would
still not be properly targetted.  If someone looks for a Python expert, he
should look for him in a Python mailing list.

One exception I would have been willing to make, if it were possible to
define it clearly and prevent abuses:

If a project manager needs a programming star to complete an urgent or
very very challenging assignment (and no special skills set is needed,
only very sharp brain), a request for such a star might be advertised in
Hackers-IL.
                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Dec 2000 14:02:23 -0000

> Would you like job offers to be on-topic or off-topic for this list?

I offer to have no policy until it gets to be more then one post a week.

flamewar-avoidance-policies-r-us-ly y'rs, Z.