Subject: Re: [hackers-il] Keyboard for real hackers.

From: Assaf Amitai <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 15:25:41 +0200

Hi,

Omer Musaev wrote:

 > Logitech has a very nice keyboard/mouse combo:
 > The drawbak is that those gadgets are cordless - which means you will be
 > eating batteries like junk food.

Actually, it's not too bad. I have been using an earlier version of this 
(Cordless Desktop, without fancy shaped mouse of keyboard) for a year: the 
keyboard batteries (AA) are good for about 6 months of _heavy_ use, the 
mouse (AAA) - about 3 months.

The cons:

* Frequent lockups under Linux (the machine runs ok, but the keyboard 
doesn't respond. I still haven't succeeded in isolating the problem).

* Personally, I prefer "clicky" keyboards.

* The provided plastic armrest sucks. My palms were really sore when using 
it (using a foam palmrest did the trick).

* It's not easy to take it apart for cleaning.

* Two backslash keys, both in wrong places.

Other than that, it's an amazing product.

--
Assaf.

---

From: Eran Tromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:38:59 +0300

Hello,

Assaf Amitai wrote:
> Actually, it's not too bad. I have been using an earlier version of
> this (Cordless Desktop, without fancy shaped mouse of keyboard) for 
> a year: the keyboard batteries (AA) are good for about 6 months of _
> heavy_ use, the mouse (AAA) - about 3 months.

I once considered buying that model, and evaluated it in some shop. The
keyboard was distorted -- the four contact points between the bottom of
the keyboard and the desk were not on a plane, so the keyboard rocked
back and forth (with appropriate noises) as I typed. Extremely annoying.
I checked 3 boxes, and all had the same problem. I sure did expect
Logitech to be better than this in making simple plastic molds.

Personally, I stick to buckling spring technology (IBM "old-school"
clicky keyboards). I'm awaiting my order of two customized buckling
spring keyboards: black, completely blank keys (exactly 101 of them, as
God intended) and integrating TrackPoint-type pointing device. (Unicomp,
http://www.pckeyboard.com) 

  Regards,
    Eran Tromer