Subject: RE: [hackers-il] [Meta] registration procedure (was: honey jars e tc.)

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 16:56:54 +0300

> Possibly true. Note that some of the people who annoyed us 
> with irrelevant
> questions in the last few days had already been on this list 
> for several
> days (BTW, Chen, who has access to the member list on egroups.com?).
> Still they apparently didn't care that, say, a question about 
> where to find
> Linux drivers for your modem is SOOOOOO out of place in this list.

1. Only moderators can view member list (That is OmerM and I). 
I've no objection to changing it so all members will be able to view this
list, but since this group has open membership, I prefered to protect our
privacy.
BTW. If anyone here wishes to become a moderator, feel free to ask. If I
know you, I'll probably agree.

2. I've found some relevant features in Yahoo Groups:
Remote List - mailing list + mail server is elsewhere, but yahoo will keep
archives.
Restricted Membership - moderators must approve of new members
Moderate Newbies - First posting of a member will be moderated.

Thanks,
Chen.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 21:22:56 +0300

> Moderate Newbies - First posting of a member will be moderated.

This "Moderate Newbies" looks like an interesting idea, in keeping out both
crackers-wanabees and spammers.
The "restricted membership" is a bit problematic, because you'd have no way
to know which people to approve (unless you already know them, say from a
different mailing list).

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |      Saturday, May 11 2002, 1 Sivan 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |My password is my dog's name. His name is
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |a#j!4@h, but I change it every month.