Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Re: To Hash or not to Hash [was Re: \"On Lisp\" now available ]

From: Ofir Carny <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:27:34 +0200

As far as I remember, for some applications, you can also use a random hash
in order to avoid being tricked.

This means a hash function which is not constant (or depends on another not
constant parameter).

	Ofir

**********************************************************************
This email and any files transmitted were checked by 
Port Authority Enterprise for unathorized content.
**********************************************************************

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:39:29 +0200

> This means a hash function which is not constant (or depends on another not

What do you mean? If you place an entry somewhere in the table, and next
time you go looking for it your "random hash" lands you somewhere else, how
will you find that existing entry? Maybe you mean ordering entries in one
hash chain in a random order? But I can't see what that would get you -
hash chains are supposed to be short anyway.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |    Thursday, Feb  7 2002, 25 Shevat 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The world is coming to an end ... SAVE
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |YOUR BUFFERS!!!