Subject: Joel Spolsky's "Five Worlds" in Hebrew

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 17:11:47 +0300 (IDT)

Check:

http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/five-worlds-heb.html

Several people have sent me corrections for my previous attempt at
translating one of Joel's articles. However, some of them were not
adequate. What I'd like to have is either:

1. An HTML file containing the corrected text with the corrections marked
in red (or in underline or whatever).

2. An English message with the corrections referenced in ta'atik.

The reason is that I have problems reading messages containing Hebrew, and
that it's hard for me to diff two Hebrew HTMLs, because they may be in a
different encoding, an MS-Word generated HTML, etc. I write the text in
Mozilla Composer.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 17:33:15 +0300

> adequate. What I'd like to have is either:

There's a saying (in the world of Unix software, internet protocols, and
so on) that goes: "Be conservative in what you send, but be liberal in what
you accept."

What this saying means is unless you're prepared to miss out on the
(assumingly) useful advice people are sending you, you should be liberal
in what you accept, and consider people's advice regardless of whether they
in Hebrew, translitterated into English, HTML marked in red, patches, or
whatever.

> different encoding, an MS-Word generated HTML, etc. I write the text in

Can't you load someone's mail into the Mozilla Composer (or even the browser)
to view it properly?
Last time I checked, Mozilla showed email with Hebrew without even you
needing to set it up.

And there are 101 other ways to read Hebrew emails of various sorts. You
might want to ask about this in ivrix-discuss or linux-il.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Saturday, Aug 10 2002, 2 Elul 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Cat rule #2: Bite the hand that won't
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |feed you fast enough.

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 18:01:55 +0300 (IDT)

> in Hebrew, translitterated into English, HTML marked in red, patches, or

Easier said than done. In reality, I have to deal with conflicting
standards, several ways to achieve the same effect, and having too little
time. Sending the corrected HTML would be fine if I had a way to compare
two such HTML documents. You do agree that going over both texts will only
confuse me.

And my mailer cannot handle Hebrew well. I honestly tried reading Arik's
letter in several ways, but so far was not successful. I use pine as a
mailer, and I don't have access to heb-pine, and I'm not going to use an
X-Windows based mailer, because I happen to ping-pong between two
computers.

I could simply send the article away to Spolsky, and he'll give it for
someone to copy edit. :-) So I need to be a little picky here. I don't
think my demands cannot be met at all.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> Can't you load someone's mail into the Mozilla Composer (or even the browser)

I tried it with Konqueror. Maybe it would work with Mozilla.

> might want to ask about this in ivrix-discuss or linux-il.

These ways all have to work within the limit of my 15 MB t2 quota (part of
it is reserved for my homepage) and of the generousity of its sys admins
(or lack of it).

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 20:36:35 +0300 (IDT)

> X-Windows based mailer, because I happen to ping-pong between two

No need for heb-pine. On what computer you read this, and from which
terminal?

But as Nadav said, this is not the list fir such discussions. Contact me
privately, or move this to linux-il/ivrix-discuss .

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

---

From: Alon Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 21:44:55 +0300 (IDT)

> privately, or move this to linux-il/ivrix-discuss .

  In case all else fails, I use this script to convert hebrew characters to
a readable encoding:

#!/bin/tcsh -f
tr \\340-\\373 abgdhwzx\@ikklmmnns\&ppccqr\$t

  Alon

-- 
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([email-masked]) ICQ:1366540
The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 -=[ Random Fortune ]=-
Biology is the only science in which multiplication means the same thing
as division.

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 22:40:21 +0300 (IDT)

> tr \\340-\\373 abgdhwzx\@ikklmmnns\&ppccqr\$t

You seem to have a strange definition of readable. Something like "can be
understood by a human in polynomial time"? ;-)

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 14:57:12 +0300 (IDT)

Same place, corrected text thanks to a diligent reviewer.

The English article was littered with second person addresses. ("you will"
"you have", etc.) I translated them literally at first, but now modified
them to something better sounding.

The usual place:

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish