Subject: Enthusiasm about Computers

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 20:48:02 +0200 (IST)

I think I can classify the number of _professional_ IT workers (men and
women) to two broad groups:

1. People who program or otherwise deal with computers very well. However,
they are not enthusiastic about it and just acknowledge the fact that they
are good at it, it brings them a positive income. They usually don't
_hate_ dealing with computers, but there are other things that they
would prefer to do instead. I'll call this group computer non-enthusiasts
(or CNEs for short)

2. People who like or even love computers. They constantly learn new
tools, languages and technologies, are curious about everything work. They
often spend their free time hacking for fun on various stuff. I'll call
this group Computer Enthusiasts (or CEs for short).

Now there isn't a clear distinction between the two groups, and many
people are somewhere in between. ESR, wrote the "Howto become a Hacker
HOWOT" which is actually "Howto become a CE" in this terminology.

Now I can testify that I am a CE. However, I know some people, who are
extremely capable IT workers who are not CEs. Some people believe that you
become less enthusiastic with your work as time goes by. I know that is
not the case. I personally worked with an engineer in Digital Corp. (back
when it was still Digital) who was in his fifties and was very
enthusiastic about computers in general and Windows NT especially (hey
no-one's perfect). I also corresponded and collaborated with a CE in his
seventies who is a grandfather - graduated from EE in the 40's and
gradually made a transition to software. I don't think it is necessary to
lose your enthusiasm at all.

OTOH, I met some very young people, who are not CEs. They may be fully
capable Linux gurus, but don't have the enthusiasm of working with
computers or hacking on stuff for fun, or learning new things.

Now, the question is: are the non-CEs really fullfilling their destiny? I
don't mind someone who is using a computer to get his job done. For
instance, my father is a biologist and uses Excel, Eudora, Outlook (as an
Organizer), Word, etc. to get his job done, print letters, etc. Some
people may even have to program as part of their job (engineers in Matlab
for instance). Again, I don't think that they should be enthusiastic about
computers qua computers.

But what about all the IT-workers who are non-CEs? Some of them are
positively brilliant, and are doing a great job. But maybe they are good
programmers and can be great at something else.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/

He who re-invents the wheel, understands much better how a wheel works.