Subject: A implies B - therefore B implies A

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:25:03 +0200 (IST)

My former apartment-mate, Danny, and I had a philosophical chat towards
the end of the passing semester. It went something like that:

Danny: Do you agree that "I think therefore I am?"

Shlomi: I do not accept all of Des-cartes conclusions in the context where
this sentence was said, but the sentence itself is true.

Danny: Why?

Shlomi: Well, like Des-cartes said an evil genius can convince you that
many things are not as they are, but it cannot convince you that you
existed while in fact you did not.

Danny: So, is a flower conscious?

Shlomi: Perhaps yes, perhaps not. Why?

Danny: If not, how come it exists?

Shlomi: Look, "I think therefore I am" does not imply "I am therefore I
think"...

It took me some time to convince him I had a point. Then he said that he
and his friend had a conversation in which his friend claimed that "I
think therefore I am" did not make sense, and he suceeded to convince
Danny. I'd like to meet his friend.

I should say that Danny successfully graduated from the Technion's
Mechanical Engineering department (which he said was easier than EE), and
plans on getting a second degree in it during his Atuda. He took Digital
Systems, the CS faculty's Logic Design and Intro to Graph Algorithms and
succeeded very well in all three of them.

Well, never mind. Who is John Galt? (therefore - what does John Galt
thinks? - :-))

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

There is no IGLU Cabal!
Therefore, no one wants one. Ergo: No one wants an IGLU Cabal, therefore
there isn't any.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"