Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Monkey Trial

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:13:45 +0200

> 
> Beside that, "creation science" cannot be taken too seriously because
> there is a lot of evidence that Earth existed much more than 
> 6000 years.
> (like Geological phenomena) And a theory that transcends from 
> the Big Bang
> to present day over a span of several billion years, is much 
> more logical
> than assuming that God created it in an advanced state.

What's scary is that in many schools in the states creationism is taught as
a theory, just like evolution is a theory. You can't prove the evolution,
can you? any theory is as good as any other. UGH.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:43:00 +0300

> can you? any theory is as good as any other. UGH.

Chen, why are you talking about the U.S.? What about Israel?

In Israel we study "Tanach" from second grade (if I remember correctly),
and read the first chapter of Genesis (Bereshit) at least 3 times during
our studies (again, if I remember correctly). How many times did you learn
about Evolution in school?

The only time I remember we discussed evolution in school was when we talked
about Mendel's Gene theory in Biology class. But that is *NOT* the important
part of evolution (which is how design can come about from random mutations
and natural selection), and in fact Darwin did not even know about it (Mendel's
experiments were after Darwin). I don't remember us ever talking about
questions like "how can something complex like an eye come about 'by random'"
or "how could the process of evolution begin? did got create the first
replicator?", which is the questions that creationists always use to rebut
evolution and have very simple answers.

Did anybody have a difference experience in school?

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |      Monday, Jul 24 2000, 21 Tammuz 5760
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The message above is just this
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |signature's way of propagating itself.

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:59:53 +0300 (IDT)

> about Evolution in school?

But in high school the stnadard program for the bible says to learn it
"scientifically" -- trying to understand what parts were written when and
by whome -- emphatically non religious viewpoint. OTOH, I did learn about 
genes and mutation in school, though not the theory of evolution. OTOH, I
was never taught that what the bible says is true (so called creation
science)
 
--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
There is no IGLU cabal.
http://advogato.org/person/moshez