Subject: RE: [hackers-il] RE: Hack Proposal : DeCSS in JavaScript

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:24:21 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Shlomi Fish [mailto:[email-masked]]

> Actually, the original DeCSS code uses some pointer 
> arithmetics and even
> assumes the machine is little endian. So I found that I needed some
> conversion to get it running. Of course, I could not get it 
> running on any
> of the three browsers (Konqueror, Mozilla and Netscape 4.7) I 
> tried, and I
> get some obscure JS errors. Chen, from what I understand, you did some
> serious work in JS, so can I send you the code I have made so 
> far, and you
> will tell me what is wrong?

Bring them on!
BTW, after we get rid of the errors, how do we verify correctness? (I don't
have a DVD here :-)

About the rest of the post, I'm not a lawyer, so I wouldn't know what we
need to do, but I would hate seeing our IGLU server confiscated (since its
donated and everything). Also, I wouldn't worry about Yahoo! doing anything
about us, these guys were trading Nazi memorials, we aren't quite as illegal
:-)

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:47:04 +0300 (EEST)

> BTW, after we get rid of the errors, how do we verify correctness? (I don't

I piped /bin/ls to the perl dvd decoder and recieved a different output.
We can test it by comparing various binary test strings to the output they
produce by other descarmblers.

> about us, these guys were trading Nazi memorials, we aren't quite as illegal

I'm not going to put it on IGLU or discuss it there or anything. We will
form an ad-hoc correspondence to discuss the code, and I will send it
directly to the DeCSS Gallery. I figure anywhere in Israel, will generate
too much load to be effective.

I'll send you the code in person. If anybody else wants it, send me a
private E-mail.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

P.S: I'm a little paranoid about it. Maybe I read too much of Slashdot or
this entire "illegal in America" sounds romantic to me. Of coure, it's
illegal because of very stupid laws, but the majority of laws in the world
are stupid, but they are still harmful.

>
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
what went wrong more quickly.

---

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jul 2001 22:55:44 +0300

> are stupid, but they are still harmful.

Remeber: It's not paranoia if they're really after you.

I can testify of having a DeCSS mirror which was practicly shut down by
the MPAA mob right here in Israel.

It was hosted on a computer colocated at Bezek Int. and they sent me the
usual scary notes several times (in word format... ;-) which I promptly
tested the machine's /dev/null functionality with (you never can be too
careful with /dev/null. Sometimes some grabage gets stuck in the pipes
and it overflows causing a terrible mess). 

Then they send a scary note to Bezek Int. who called me up. They had no
idea what's going on except that some big guys from America said I did
something I shouldn't and that was enough for them to ask me to remove
the stuff.

At the time I was working a day job, a night job at a startup at it's
first days and trying to finish my degree, so I couldn't really handle
the load of trying to go after these basterds. I changed the directory
name on my server from http://benyossef.com/freedom (which was by that
time registered in the DeCSS mirros list) to
http://benyossef.com/freedom2 where it lives to this day. 

I never heard from the MPAA mob again but I also didn't update the DeCSS
mirror list with the new site... ;-)

Next month that server moves to Actcom (along with a major computer
upgrade). I think I'm going rename that directory back to freedom. I'd
be honored to mirror your implmentation on my site, and screw everyone -
I only have one job now (the startup was succefull) and my last exam for
my degree is in two weeks.

Gilad.

PS. while going over this email one last time the phone socket where my
ADSL NTU is jacked in fell off the wall... those MPAA guys will do
anything to stop me, but I don't care... HAHAHAHAHA <mad laughter dying
away> neighbours are afraid again.... MUST REMEMBER TO TAKE PILLS...
MUST REMEMBER TO TAKE PILLS...

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 07:20:39 +0300 (EEST)

On 20 Jul 2001, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

> <<<<<< Story Snipped >>>>>>

Well, in fact until a few minutes ago, I used to have a DeCSS mirror on my
Technion's web-site. Its URL is:

http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/DeCSS/

In any case, I removed the offending files, because it is the students'
server and because of the DeCSS for JavaScript thing. There are some links
there (to the DeCSS Gallery, to a real DeCSS mirror, and to several other
places). Besides, I figured out you can search for css or decss in
gnutella/Freenet and find it.

If you wish to mirror the JavaScript source code when it is finished, I
will not stop you. You can also have an actual form that invokes it on the
client computer - ;-). But I'm not going to maintain a mirror list. As I
figured out, DeCSS for JS will be both nowhere and everywhere.

In any case, do you want me to send you the beta code?

Regards,

	SHlomi Fish

BTW, I thought of a few DeCSS for JS hyperbanners. For instance:

"Did you violate the DMCA today?"

"DeCSS Now! (literally)"

Of course, I first have to have a compatible code.

> MUST REMEMBER TO TAKE PILLS...

LOL.