Subject: Google Anomalies

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:58:49 +0300 (IDT)

It is well known that Google has some interesting anomalies and often
turns out unexpected results. The "more evil" --> Microsoft Homepage was
especially well-known a few years ago. Since then, it has been "fixed",
but I don't know if because of the dynamics of the web, or manually by the
Google team.

In any case, I noticed another anomaly today by accident: A search for
"%s" leads you to the GNU/FSF homepage. I know of "%s" as the printf
string printing specification. But there should not be a particular reason
it should point their of all places (except for the fact most of the GNU
software is written in ANSI C).

I think an online man page for printf is more suitable. But since I did
not build "Shlomi Fish' Own Yet Another Ultimate Search Engine" yet, I
guess I'll have to live with that anomaly. And obviously others.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Knuth is not God! Google is not God! RMS is not God! God himself said that
was the case.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"