Subject: New poll for hackers-il

From: [email-masked]
Date: 7 May 2002 12:35:24 -0000

Enter your vote today!  A new poll has been created for the 
hackers-il group:

In light of recent posts, do you think
it's right to post technical questions
and have technical discussuions about
specific issues on hackers-il?  

  o Yeah, sure, bring it on 
  o Maybe short ones 
  o You may ask, but reply off-list 
  o No. This is a group about hackers, not hacks 
  o I have no opinion on this matter 

To vote, please visit the following web page:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hackers-il/polls 

Note: Please do not reply to this message. Poll votes are 
not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo! Groups 
web site listed above.

Thanks!

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 17:19:29 +0300

On Tue, May 07, 2002, [email-masked] wrote about "[hackers-il] New poll for hackers-il":
>..

I have a poll of my own:

When you read about the new hackers-il poll, what did you do?

1. Ignored it - I don't even know who sent it!
2. Ignored it - my choice ("CowboyNeal") wasn't one of the choices :(
3. Went to the yahoogroups to vote, and voted. Yey!
4. Went to the yahoogroups to vote, but it didn't recognize me!
5. Struggled with yahoogroups to recognize me, but it never sent me
   the validation email it said it would! I hate yahoogroups!

> specific issues on hackers-il?  

Since I chose #5 above, I'll have to answer here...

In my opinion discussions are fine. What isn't ok is people asking questions
about how to do their job. This isn't a my-deadline-is-in-5-hours-and-I'm-
in-deep-shit programmers helpline. If you have a question to ask, try to make
it interesting and broad, and whatever you do: never say things like "please
answer in 10 minutes or I'm history!", "If you guys can't answer this, you're
all idiots!" or "Pl33z h3lp m3 I w4nt t0 b3 4 h4ck3r!".

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Tuesday, May 7 2002, 25 Iyyar 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |We are Microsoft. You will be
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |assimilated. Resistance is futile.

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 17:45:59 +0300 (IDT)

Hi all

On 7 May 2002 [email-masked] wrote:

>
> Enter your vote today!A new poll has been created for the
> hackers-il group:
>

Might I ask who set this pole?

Is there any reason that technical discussions will not go to linux-il ?

(A remoinder to all of us: this list branched off linux-il to remove some
semi-philosophical discussions. It is not over-technical. It is nither
linux-il nor crackers-il)

Short technical discussions were never totally off-topic (because nothing
is really off-topic in hackers-il) but this is not the focus of this list.

Now, please let's waste as little noise as possible on this thread.

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 May 2002 17:58:55 +0300

> 4. Went to the yahoogroups to vote, but it didn't recognize me!

... and I gave up.

> all idiots!" or "Pl33z h3lp m3 I w4nt t0 b3 4 h4ck3r!".

Hear! Hear! Also please remember that there is linux-il for Linux
technical stuff. And please do the requisite amount of RTFMing and
STFWing before asking.

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked] 
"We work by wit, and not by witchcraft,
 And wit depends on dilatory time..."

---

From: Alon Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 19:56:24 +0300 (IDT)

>    the validation email it said it would! I hate yahoogroups!

  I vote 4. Can't we on a hackers mailing list use something better than
Yahoo!? A poll could have been sent with nice URLs or e-mails that would
automatically identify the member and make the vote trivial and unique (per
reigstered member).

  Who is for moving to a more sensible list server?

  Alon

-- 
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([email-masked]) ICQ:1366540
The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 -=[ Random Fortune ]=-
It is better to kiss an avocado than to get in a fight with an aardvark.

---

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 20:05:44 +0300

>   Who is for moving to a more sensible list server?

Me, definitely. IGLU would seem to be an obvious server, assuming it
runs a mailing list manager?
-- 
The ill-formed Orange
Fails to satisfy the eye:       http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~mulix/
Segmentation fault.             http://syscalltrack.sf.net/

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 00:59:01 +0300

>    the validation email it said it would! I hate yahoogroups!

By the way, after some struggling I was finally able to get to the poll.
It turns out you need a yahoo account (I had one), then you need to "teach"
it about your other email address (the one you read the group in) - there's
a specific option for that. Then they send you some code you need to use
on the site to prove you do control that other address (this part took a
lot of time, I don't know why). And *then* you need to tell yahoogroups to
look at all mailing list registered by your other email and add it to your
yahoo account. Only then it will let you go to the poll.

Wow, that was complicated...
I think, by the way, that people who registered to hackers-il when it was
on yahoogroups (and not the former egroups) should have an easier time
voting.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Wednesday, May 8 2002, 26 Iyyar 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If Windows is the answer, you didn't
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |understand the question.

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 May 2002 09:59:42 +0300

> Wow, that was complicated...

Wow, you have a lot of time on your hands. I want your job ;-)

---

From: Adi Stav <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 12:38:56 +0300

>   o I have no opinion on this matter 

None of these match my position. I find technical questions on-topic
if they are interesting and new, and especially if they relate or 
contribute towards understanding of the more abstract issue involved.
Giving people answers to what they want to know is not the purpose of
this list, although it could be a side-effect. If not, there are
enough lists for support.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:20:23 +0300

> Wow, you have a lot of time on your hands. I want your job ;-)

There are 24 hours a day. Take a look at the time I wrote that message...
Do you work on 1am? :)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Wednesday, May 8 2002, 26 Iyyar 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Tea or coffee? Coffee, without cream. It
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |will be without milk, we have no cream.

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 15:41:02 +0300 (IDT)

> There are 24 hours a day. Take a look at the time I wrote that message...

That's a really nice sig which I don't think I've seen before. What is its
source, if I may ask?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 16:55:55 +0300

> That's a really nice sig which I don't think I've seen before. What is its

I don't remember, as I collect signatures continuously from various sources,
other people's emails, and so on (I'm now 258 signatures, and still continuing
to find more). I do remember, however that this sig isn't original and I
copied it from somewhere (feel free to copy it too :))

A bunch of my signatures are from coolsig.com - try seeing if this signature
is from there (and if not, browse their site anyway, it contains a lot of
nice sigs). And you can always search for this sig's text on google and see
what you come up with.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Wednesday, May 8 2002, 26 Iyyar 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Snowflakes are very fragile, but look
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |what they can do when they stick together!

---

From: "Orna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 17:31:16 +0300

As I see it, it is like being a Jewish Atheist:
You have to not believe in the Jewish God,
you can't be "not believing in an Islamic one"
Orna.

> > [email-masked]
|-----------------------------------------

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 20:13:42 +0300 (IDT)

> you can't be "not believing in an Islamic one"

A nice twist. But naturally I don't believe in the Islamic God. I don't
believe in the Jewish God either, but the former statement still holds.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish