Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Plan9

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:31:14 +0200

> MOSIX on a bunch of intels. Exo. QNX (must check out the license ). 
> Darwin {,OS X}

If anyone has an old machine to donate - I'll appreciate that.
BTW. anyone knows if you can Mosix between Linux and FreeBSD? (a mixed
cluster?)

> > Hardware I want: 
> > Sparc5, Indy, Alpha, LispMachine
> do you mean sparc5  which is sun4, sun4m or sun4u ? I think that what 
> you really
> want is not SS5 (old and lazy) and not Ultra5 ( PC ), but Sun Ultra1.

Can I afford that?

> Besides, I would like to log in:
> NextCube
> G4 (for OS X}.

I was trying to get a G4 some time ago. Apparently - Yeda M"M which are
supposed to supply it are lazy and incompetant. 
Anyone knows of an alternative place to get one?

--
chen

---

From: Omer Musaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:59:15 +0300

> > want is not SS5 (old and lazy) and not Ultra5 ( PC ), but Sun Ultra1.
Radiant will sell:

System based on Ultra 1 Model 140E/143mhz processor (A12-UAA1-9N00NN)

(1) 2.1GB 7200 RPM Disk Drive (X5153A)

(1) Creator Series 1 Single Buffered FFB (X3651A)

(1) 128MB Memory Expansion (2 x 64MB) for Ultra 1,2,30,60 & E450 (X7003A)
 
for: $1195

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Old school buds here:
> http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/9/_/_/_/960453284/
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
> 
> --
> --   
> Omer Mussaev    051-308-214   mailto:[email-masked]
> systems programmer, Mercury Interactive/RND/Conduct/core
>

---

From: Ira Abramov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:53:01 +0300 (IDT)

> BTW. anyone knows if you can Mosix between Linux and FreeBSD? (a mixed

AFAIK (and IANAB) the Mosix implementation is very kernel specific, a
cluster of two different linux kernel versions won't even work because
of data structure differences, therefor a freeBSD box (to which MOSIX
was never ported btw, only BSDi) won't cut it.

I'll be installing a 10-machine MOSIX+Beowulf cluster next month (after
the exams) and be a smarter man, I'll give you more details if I
discover any.

> > want is not SS5 (old and lazy) and not Ultra5 ( PC ), but Sun Ultra1.

sure, ask universities, they have used hardware sales once in a while. I
also know there are quite a few corps traders (people who come in to
bankrupt offices and companies, and buy switches and servers for dirt
cheap, to make a few bucks when reselling, usually they don't even know
they sell at a 90% discount).

> Anyone knows of an alternative place to get one?

mail orders? ;)