Subject: "The Street" - a scene from Humanity

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 22:14:12 +0200 (IST)

Here's a (yet incomplete) scene from Humanity which I think may interest
you:

The Street:
===========

[ Long shot of a street, two neighbours are talking. ]

Gideon [one of the neighbours]:

[ .. Conversation goes on. While in it a young man walks down the street
three times. In the third time, Gideon asks him.
]

Gideon: Excuse me: I noticed you are constantly walking down that street.
Can
I ask why?

Young man: Really? It's just that I'm from a different neighbourhood and I
just thought that if I turn left all the time I'll scan the whole
neighbourhood?

Gideon: No, this won't work. You see if you turn left here [shows with his
hand], go along the street, and then turn left here, [the young man turns
his
head around], and then left here [again, he twists his head], and here,
you'll
be in the same place where you started.

Young man: Of course! But wait a second - I remember an ingenius algorithm
by my cousin Daniel...

Gideon: You mean the crazy inventor whose invention clogged up our well
today?

Young man: Yeah! Anyway he said that you just have to put your hand on the
wall, like this [ puts his hand on the right wall relative to the camera ]
and
then by keeping it on the same wall you'll go throughout the entire maze.
I'll
do it, thanks! [he starts to walk]

Gideon: Hold on! It won't work.

Young man: Why?

Gideon: Because this block is surrounded by four streets, and you'll end
up
going around it again and again.

Young man: [thinks about it for a moment] You're right. Daniel said
something
about it, and he said he had an improved algorithm, that did not have this
limitation...

Gideon: Wanna here about my algorithm?

Young man: Yes.

Gideon: Ask.

Young man: [thinks for a moment] That could work. Do you know where Yossef
Ben-Dov lives?

Gideon: Sure! Right here [ points to a nearby house. ]

Young man: Super! Thanks. [walks there]

[ Gideon and his neighbour continue to talk]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"