Subject: RE: [hackers-il] I opened a mailing-list for "Extended SQL"

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 19:48:03 +0200

> I'd like to gain some momentum in the list before I publicize it in
> broader open-source circles such as Slashdot, LWN, etc.
>You are welcome to join and happy standarizing!

I was wondering, anyonw knows of any case where an Open-Source oriented
group set a standard that became widely used in the commercial world?

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 20:05:34 +0200 (IST)

> group set a standard that became widely used in the commercial world?

The W3C is fairly Open-Source, or at least their standards are publicly
available for free. Anyway, I welcome commercial DB vendors to join the
X-SQL effort so they'll have a voice too.

Also, I'd like people who are experienced in commercial databases to join.
That way I can compare how different databases implement different things,
and try to form a syntax that is at most compatible with everything else
which is already present.

For example, the log() function in MySQL is the natural logarithm and in
Postgres it's the logarithm according to base 10 (or vise versa). Knowing
that I can declare that ln() and log10() should be implemented while log()
should be depreciated.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish
 
> 	
> 
> 
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
> 
> 
> 
> 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked] 
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of 
converting any statement that follows it into a true one.

---

From: Adi Stav <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 22:08:16 +0200

> group set a standard that became widely used in the commercial world?

Berkley sockets. And what about X11, by the way?  Was it a similar
story?

Also looks like Jabber is heading in that direction.