Subject: Dialog creator for command-line apps

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:09:23 +0200 (IST)

Just spotted this article on the latest LinuxGazette:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue64/evans.html

It talks about Kaptain which is a KDE utility for creating dialogs for
command line applications. It seems nice on first glance but I haven't
tried it yet.

The homepage of Kaptain is http://kaptain.sourceforge.net/

Now, doesn't it put a new angle on the command line vs. GUI war...

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked] 
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of 
converting any statement that follows it into a true one.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:40:09 +0200

> Now, doesn't it put a new angle on the command line vs. GUI war...

Interesting... What does it do with the stdout of the programs it runs
(e.g., the grep example)? Does it open a new window for the output, showing
it as it comes in, and perhaps lets you scroll it, save it to a file, etc.?

Long ago I did something like this in Tcl/TK for a specific proprietary
formal-verification command-line program (together with a GUI to view this
program's output, which involved big trees of processes). It was much easier
to check a button of one of the 20 different options (some with arguments,
so without) than to remember all the parameters. But writing a program like
that for general command line programs is a great idea.
This won't stop me from continuing to use command lines, but many people
will find it a useful tool.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Tuesday, Mar 13 2001, 18 Adar 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |An egotist is a person of low taste,
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |more interested in himself than in me.