Subject: What's on a hackers mind...

From: "Gilad Ben-Yossef" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:44:46 +0200

I just had a very amusing moment - I flipped back to the window showing my private email and saw a new message. It was a meaningless SPAM with the subject is: "Make money in your sleep" but I for some reason read it as: "Memory leak in your sleep" ;-)

-- 
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:21:41 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Nadav Har'El [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 12:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [hackers-il] What's on a hackers mind...

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] What's on
a hackers mind...":
> > That night, I had a dream in which I was sitting in front of the
computer
> > and was coding the rest of my program. It was good code, it solved my
> > problem, and the program ran just fine. I remember saving my work before
> > waking up.
> 
> After waking up, did you remember any of the code or what you did in the
> dream? If yes, did it make any sense? Was it of any practical use?

Yes, I keyed it in again with few modifications.

> Because my experience is that while dreaming I can have a lot of emotions,
> but very little rational thinking.

Well, I have mixed dreams. Some are high on the emotional scale, some are
rather intellectually challenging.

> One time before some test (that I actually wasn't anxious about, so I
don't
> know why this happened) I dreamt that I was doing that test. The dream was
> one of the longest I ever had (tests in the Technion's math department
> typically last 3 hours ;)), and the entire dream was me taking the test.
> During the dream, I remember reading the questions, thinking about them,
> answering them, and it was all hard work and made sense. But when I woke
up
> (quite exhausted...) I still remembered a few of the questions and the
> answers (strangely, I forgot all of it about 10 minutes later. Is that a
> known phenomenon?). It was all complete and utter rubbish! None of the
> answers or questions made any Mathematical sense whatsoever. My brain had
> just spent half the night going randomly through a pile of unrelated,
> unconnected and irrelevant Mathematical concepts, getting results of no
> practical use (and after 10 minutes I forgot even that).

Well, maybe it's time for you to invent some new mathematical concepts :-)

> Sometimes dreams are really weird... M.C. Escher had a good point when he
> said (supposedly):
> 	"I don't use drugs, my dreams are frightening enough."

I totally agree. I can make full length features of some of my dreams, and
they'll be classified 'action/scifi'.

-- Arik

**********************************************************************
This email and any files transmitted were scanned by 
Port Authority Enterprise for unauthorized content.
**********************************************************************