Subject: RE: [hackers-il] A joke

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:34:38 +0200

> So I asked him what he was going to use instead and 
> eventually I suggested
> that he use e^j*pi...
> 
> Conclusion: we should rename this group to
> hackers(e**(j*pi))[email-masked]. 

Which math courses should I take in order to get this joke?

---

From: mulix <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:52:08 +0200 (EET)

trust me, chen, no joke (and most emphatically NOT this joke) is worth the
math courses you would need in order to understand it.

-- mulix, who has a hedva test in the technion in two days, and who
dreamt about the taylor series last night.

on a totally not related tangent, can anyone recommend a good ISP privacy
statemenet? my ISP (actcom) doesn't have a 'formal' one, and are looking
to rectify this situation. a good privacy statemenet to base theirs on
would be very helpfull. thanks! (for the !good case, check out
nonstop's... trully horrifying)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Chen Shapira wrote:

> > eventually I suggested that he use e^j*pi...
> >

--
mulix
http://www.advogato.com/person/mulix

linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead

---

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:56:59 +0200

>> hackers(e**(j*pi))[email-masked]. 

You only need to know the following formula (using i instead of j to 
confuse the heathens... ;-)

(e^(i*pi)) = -1

Therfore:
hackers(e^(i*pi))[email-masked] = [email-masked]

You owe the Oracle a Klein bottle.

Gilad.

-- 
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
http://benyossef.com :: +972(54)756701
"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, while interrupts are disabled. "
	-- Murphey's law of kernel programing.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:16:28 +0200

> confuse the heathens... ;-)

Yes, I wonder where the heathens (oops, sorry, I meant electrical-engineers! ;))
got this weird "j" notation, instead the normal "i". Is it because i is
used to signify current density, or something like that?

BTW, the most beautiful way to write the e^(pi i) formula is
	e^(pi*i)+1=0
Which is an equation connecting the 5 most important constants: 0, 1, i,
e and pi :)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Tuesday, Feb 13 2001, 20 Shevat 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Computers are like air conditioners.
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |Both stop working if you open windows.

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:21:16 +0200 (IST)

> confuse the heathens... ;-)

Yes the old i vs. j debate. Luckily, Matlab supports both of them.

In any case, I believe mathematicians stick to i while Engineers,
especially EEers, use i or j, either based on how they are used to, or if 
there are any small-signal currents, which are generally marked with i,
around. For more information consult the course Linear Circuits, which I
wouldn't recommend either, because like Complex Functions it is
interesting but not breathtaking. <TM>

I'm too used to using j, but for solidarity I indeed suggest a s/j/i/
scheme. And Chen, to understand it you need to know that:

e^(i*x) = cos(x)+i*sin(x)

That's all the information from Complex Functions that is relevant to
Electrical Engineers. Which is why, in my and many others opinion, it is
quite unnecessary, unless it is meant for general understanding, as
Electrical Engineers sometimes work in the Complex plane.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
> 
> 
> 
> 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked] 
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of 
converting any statement that follows it into a true one.

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:28:52 +0200 (IST)

> used to signify current density, or something like that?

Indeed. i signifies small-signal (I.e: Alternate Current or AC) current,
and see we need to work with complex currents we resort to using j instead
of i. Of course we can start signaling currents with j's instead of i's,
but that would cause rage among the Electro-Mag Fields guys who use a
capital J as current density. If only we wrote the equations in English
like:
Current<subscript>A</subscript> = ( Voltage<subscript>A1</subscript) -
Voltage<subscript>A2</subscript>) over Resistance<subscript>R</subscript>

but that would make it slower to write all this equations.

<joke>
If you can add about 100 more symbols to the unicode used by the Technical
world, it would be appreciated. We could throw all the letters of the
Hebrew alphabet for starts. Why should Alef (Alef-Zero Alef-One
Alef-Two... ) be alone among all those Latin and Greek letters. I'm sure
there are uses for all the other letters.
</joke>
 
> Which is an equation connecting the 5 most important constants: 0, 1, i,

I read about just that in Dr. Dobb's Journal I believe.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:23:23 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:52:08 +0200 (EET), mulix <[email-masked]> wrote:

> statemenet? 

Yes. /usr/bin/gpg

-- 
"I'll be ex-DPL soon anyway so I'm        |LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
looking for someplace else to grab power."|YODA: No...no... no. Quicker,
   -- Wichert Akkerman (on debian-private)|      easier, more seductive.
For public key, finger [email-masked]  |http://www.{python,debian,gnu}.org