Subject: scheme

From: Mayer Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:18:24 +0300

>There are no new ideas. Scheme had *all* the ideas years ago (yes,
>including OOP). The only thing it didn't have is "visual programming", and
>I don't think anybody thinks it's a good idea.

Scheme would be a lot more useful had the RS committee taken the file system and 
IO interface a bit more seriously. At present, it's not possible to do real work in 
Scheme in a way that would be portable and according to the standard. Common Lisp 
is extreme in the other direction. Something reasonable in between needs to be 
lobbied for, but I think this would run contrary to the current RS directions, which are 
to turn Scheme into a kind of ML.

Mayer

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:30:59 +0300 (IDT)

> >I don't think anybody thinks it's a good idea.
<snipped standard rant about scheme's lack of a standard library>

See srfi.schemers.org
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html
http://www.linux.org.il -- we put the penguin in .com