Subject: Informal hackers-il gettogether in Haifa

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:42:24 +0200

I would like to invite you guys (and girls) to a small, informal and hopefully
fun hackers-il gettogether in Haifa this Motsei Shabat (21/12), organized
by Muli and myself and to take place in my apartment (driving directions
will be posted later this week).

In order to let the people who live far away come (and to return home early
enough to be able to work on the next day...), the shindig is to start on 7pm.

Beside meeting the people behind the emails, and the regular attractions
(music and food, and hopefully not only talk of hacking ;)) we plan a cool(?)
new(?) game: book-swapping.

What's the book swapping game?
Well, the idea is that each person brings with him or her a nice book that he
or she doesn't really need any more (or bought especially for this occasion[1])
and at the party we swap books - each person chooses another person's book
to go home with; The fun starts when two people want the same book - when
a bidding war (or other crazy tasks that Muli and I will invent to torture
you guys ;)) starts and people start "stealing" books from one another!

I would appreciate it if people who are planning to come will drop me a
message, so I'll have an estimate on how many people are coming - in case
I have to break down walls and buy more chairs, and/or raid the local food
store ;)

My apartment is (unfortunately) 100% cat- and dog-free, so those allergic can
leave their gas masks at home. I do have a cute chinchilla, though, so those
allergic to rodents need not apply. No smoking inside the house, so bring an
umbrella. Batteries not included. Restrictions void where prohibited. Offer
not redeemable for cash.

See you on Saturday,
	Nadav.

[1] If you don't want to join the book-swapping game, you don't have to,
    but I suggest you do, because it should be fun! Good books are sold
    cheaply all around (I especially like Tsomet Sfarim) so you don't have
    to give up books you already own - which is a troubling prospect for
    packrats like me :)
    I would recommend that everyone register the book they bring with
    bookcrossing.com - for additional fun in tracking where your book went!

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Sunday, Dec 15 2002, 10 Tevet 5763
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Cats know what we feel. They don't care,
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |but they know.

---

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:17:22 +0200

> or she doesn't really need any more (or bought especially for this

You can bring more than one book (I intend to). 
you can bring books in any language, but Hebrew and English are
probably best. 
You certainly *can* bring used books (I intend to). 

> you guys ;)) starts and people start "stealing" books from one

If you bring more than one book, you get to take more than one
book. 

The rest of the rules are TBD. Suggestions and questions welcome on
and off list.
-- 
Muli Ben-Yehuda

"The speed of light really is too slow nowdays." -- Alan Cox

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Dec 2002 20:50:07 +0200

> You certainly *can* bring used books (I intend to). 

Are we talking tech books (we *are* hackers, after all), or
fine literature, or both?

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked]

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:18:41 +0200

> fine literature, or both?

I would say either, but try to bring something that you think others might
want. For example, I have an old Turbo Pascal 4.0 manual I don't need any
more, which I won't bring because I doubt somebody actually wants that for
anything other than a doorstop or a fire-starter for lag ba`ommer... But
a 4.2BSD manual or a first edition of K&R - somebody might actually want
that ;)

A person who'll bring a book that nobody wants will be severely punished :)
(just kidding, of course :))

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Sunday, Dec 15 2002, 11 Tevet 5763
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Seen on the back of a dump truck:
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |<---PASSING SIDE . . . . . SUICIDE--->

---

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:54:37 +0200

> fine literature, or both?

Both, as far as I am concerned. 
Preferably, tech books which are also fine literature. 
-- 
Muli Ben-Yehuda

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:22:39 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

> > to go home with; The fun starts whentwo people want the same book - when
> If you bring more than one book, you get to take more thanone
> book.
>

Are the books going to be given away, or am I going to lend them and
eventually reclaim them?

As a side note: I'm not sure I will come. I'll have to see about that.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:48:23 +0200

> Are the books going to be given away, or am I going to lend them and

I would prefer that they be given away (fits the game better), but if
you and other peopel want to bring books and just lend them to each
other, that's fine too. 
-- 
Muli Ben-Yehuda

---

From: Gabor Szabo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:07:53 +0200 (IST)

> you and other peopel want to bring books and just lend them to each

I guess some of you know but to those who don't:

The Perl Mongers have started to build up a library,
right now mostly of Perl and Progrmming books that our members
can take for 1-2 month. I'd venture that if other hackers, not 
necessarily those who come regulary to our meetings would like
to take a book then we can arrange that someone will pick it up
on our meeting and you get it from that person.

You only need is a friend who is a Perl Monger.

You see, it is worth to be friendly with Perl Mongers !

What we (actually the publishers who gave us the books) 
would like to get in return are reviews of the books. It is
not a must, but the more reviews we produce the more books
we can get.

You can see the list of our books at
http://www.perl.org.il/books.html

and the reviews we have written so far at
http://www.perl.org.il/bookreviews/

regards
   Gabor
   do you want to talk on the Perl Conference ?
   http:/www.perl.org.il/YAPC/2003/

---

From: Orna Agmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:50:06 +0200 (IST)

suggestion for conflict solving:

the people who are interested in the same book are asked several 
questions about the book owner, or questions that the book owner has 
prepared pre-hand.

the person who answers more questions correctly wins.

suggestions for questions about a person:

name a book this person likes (then the person must answer without knowing 
who said what).

name a song this person likes (likewise).

the idea is not to have known the person, but more to guess according to 
the book/s (s)he brought, what is his/her taste.

-- 
Orna.   |  http://tx.technion.ac.il/~agmon

A righteous man is a greedy capitalist,
paid in a non commercial coin.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:55:30 +0200

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote about "[hackers-il] Informal hackers-il gettogether in Haifa":
>...

There have not been many confirmations - I hope it's not because people who
live in the center think Haifa is "too far" [1]. You still have a chance
to decide to come!

Anyway, I hope more people will decide to come, and please tell me if you
do plan to come - because the stores aren't open on Saturdays and I've got
to stock up :)

Here are the instructions driving to my apartment (public transportation is
also convenient, but you'll need to ask Egged about the details...):

I live in 2 Zufit st. apartment 3 (2nd floor), in the new "Ramat Hen"
neighborhood (which might not appear in very old maps), which is near the
Nave Sha'anan and Ramot Remez neighborhoods.

If you're coming from route 2 (kvish hachof), get off at the south-haifa
interchange (that's the first entrance to Haifa from route 2 - you'll see
plenty of signs about Neve Sha'anan, Technion, Matam, etc.).

There after a very short drive on the ramp, you are forced to turn right and
then you reach lights in which forward goes to Tirat Hacarmel and left goes to
Haifa. Go left to Haifa (of course). You'll see the "Kanyon Chaifa" on your
right, and you'll now be going up the carmel in the long and winding road
colloquially called "Freud" (I think the real name of parts of this long and
winding uphill road is Fliman, or Winshell...).

Go forward (and up!) in Frued, passing one or two lights, until on the very
top of the hill you reach a T intersection and must turn. This is "Merkaz
Chorev". There you make a left turn only to take another right turn almost
immediately in a trafic light.

After that right turn, you are going down the hill in the Pika road. On
this road, stick to the right (but don't make any more right turns!) and
go forward (and down) for another 1km or so; At one point you'll notice
that near a Paz gas station Pika diverges into two seperate roads - but
since you're sticking to the right like I said, you'll take the right
(tartei mashma) road, called Chankin rd.

In Chankin rd. you continue to stick to the right lane, and pass a nice
unbuilt area and see the Ramot Sapir neighborhood from a distance.
After about 500m you'll see signs about a tunnel. But you're sticking (like
I asked!) to the right lane, so you don't go in the tunnel - instead you
find yourself in a traffic light just right to the tunnel - there you take
a left to the Ramat Hen neighborhood (Bat-hen st.).

In my neighborhood, you just go forward (in Bat-hen) st, and the first
right turn is into Zufit st, my street. My building is right on the corner,
number 2. Parking space is plentiful.

Scheeww, that was long... :)
If you get stuck, you can call me at 053-245868 or 04-8122714.

I'm looking forward to seeing you!

[1] If a person living in the center feels that, what would you think if
    I told you the same thing next time you invited me to the center?
    (see also the signature below :))

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Dec 19 2002, 14 Tevet 5763
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Always go to other people's funerals,
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |otherwise they won't come to yours.

---

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Dec 2002 17:59:18 +0200

> I'm looking forward to seeing you!
Well I'm coming and I'm bringing some books too.

>     (see also the signature below :))

I don't think the drive is a problem. I think it's the fear of having to
navigate in Haifa that is the problem - once while looking for a party
there I found myself in a street that intersected itself. It felt like
driving through a non Euclidian maze... :-)

Gilad.

-- 
 Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]> 
 http://benyossef.com 

 Q: "What do you do if your Linux box goes down?" 
 A: "Sit around in the dark until the power comes back on"

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:12:43 +0200

> driving through a non Euclidian maze... :-)

Indeed, the street I live by (Bat chen) is a circle and it (obviously)
intersects itself. It's a street that is on the top of a hill, and goes
around the hill. It makes for a more interesting city :)

But this complaint doesn't sound serious when it comes from a person whose
apartment it took me an hour (!) to find for the first time and then
find a parking space next to it...

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Dec 19 2002, 15 Tevet 5763
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I am the world's greatest authority on my
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |own opinion.

---

From: Gabor Szabo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:22:28 +0200 (IST)

> live in the center think Haifa is "too far" [1]. You still have a chance

It is indeed too far as I could also see on our Perl meetings in Tel Aviv.

Now it final that I'll come from Modiin (except for extream weather and 
such) (Even my wife approved it by now.)

I'd prefer not to drive all the way alone so either I can offer
to pick up someone on the way[1] there and back or I'd like
to join someone on the way[2].

I guess I have to leave Modiin at about 16:30 to get to Haifa on time
AND to find the place ?

Gabor

[1] I can be flexible to go via Ayalon and TA or road 4 or road 6.
[2] I will be flexible to come to your place.

---

From: Gabor Szabo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 16:35:10 +0200

You can always look at the map on the home page of Haifa:
http://www.haifa.gov.il/city/indexEng.html

which sais:

------------------------------------
Due to site Construction
The English & Russian parts of the site
will be available soon !
------------------------------------

I guess without contructions it would take a long time..

Gabor