Subject: Radio-controled multiple Reset buttons from LEGO + NURF

From: "Ury Segal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 07:12:09 -0000

Hi

I want to build a system that will enable me to press the reset
button on PC for more or less 100 computers, each indevidualy or
a group of them, by some kind of remote gadget.

Basically the reset button shorts some Jumper on the motherboard.

So I was thinking about buying a LEGO kit that have remote control,
and some LEGO kit with mechanised operation, and LEGO BASIC, and build
the thing. The problem is that it will costs 100 times this, and I
am not sure how diffrent the LEGO remotes are.

I can also build an IC for it, but I don't know jack shit about it.
And I DONT want to use cables. I want to use RF.

Beside, if you use cables to short-circit the jumper from remote, I
suspect the resistance of the cable will be too great, and I will
have to use thick cables.

Any other amature RF-using devices exists, beside LEGO, that you 
know about ?

Maybe InfraRed ? Given you don't have to point it to the direction of 
the computer...

Of-Topic:

ANyone here have expiriance hacking Nurf guns ?

---

From: Gaal Yahas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 11:06:13 +0300

> a group of them, by some kind of remote gadget.

Ummm, there are NICs that can do this today...

-- 
believing is seeing
[email-masked]
http://www.forum2.org/gaal/

---

From: Ury Segal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 16:41:49 +0300

> Ummm, there are NICs that can do this today...

I wouldn't need to reboot if the NIC was in good state... and
I cannot know what type of card is in the computer, anyhow.
I need to reboot around 100 machines, with 100 different network
cards, if any. It is not a theoretical question, BTW.

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> You have a voice mail message waiting for you at iHello.com:
> http://click.egroups.com/1/3555/9/_/_/_/957775244/
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 00:29:42 +0300 (IDT)

Hello Ury,
You may want to consider the following technologies:
1. Transmission of information via power lines (everyone of the 100
   computers is connected to power, isn't it?).  There are special modems
   for this purpose.  The keyword which I'd look for is "Echelon" - not
   the system for gathering information, but the chip which implements
   Local Operating Network.  I don't know if the company which makes it is
   still in business, though.
2. Run two thin wires to each computer (well, one wire individually
   to each computer, the second will be common).
   In each computer, the wires will go into a low-power relay, which will
   short together the reset button's wires.
   If no low-power relay is available, then run the wires into a
   transistor (which will provide power amplification) and it'll power a
   regular relay.
   For the transistor+relay, you'll need a source of 5V and few hundred
   mA - should be available from the computer's own power supply.
   The circuit will need the following components:
   - Relay
   - Transistor
   - Resistor (to limit current into the transistor).
   In addition, you'll need sort of control panel which will activate
   a selected subset of those wires.
3. Since you need to individually address the computers anyway, it may
   make sense to build a single I2C bus (or something similar) which runs
   through all the computers.  To each computer, connect a circuit which
   decodes the messages passing via it and when the circuit recognizes its
   own address, it activates the relay.
   This way you'll need to have only 3-4 wires (for signals and ground) 
   and they will run through all computers.

See comments below.

> have to use thick cables.

This is not a problem if the cables have to pass only signals, not power.
The computer's own power supply can provide any necessary power, locally.

> Maybe InfraRed ? Given you don't have to point it to the direction of 

You do have to point it to the direction of the computer, unless you
flood the room with modulated IR.

                                             --- Omer
WARNING:
By sending me unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message/s
(known also as "spam"), you irrevocably agree to pay me US$500.- (plus any
legal expenses incurred by my trying to collect the amount due) per
unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message - for the service
of receiving it.

---

From: Ury Segal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 11:50:01 +0300

All your ideas are nice, good and requires a development team.
I was looking for something like the LEGO thing - I can do it
from ready made parts without knowing anything about electronics.

Build an I2C bus ?

> eGroups eLerts
> It's Easy. It's Fun. Best of All, it's Free!
> http://click.egroups.com/1/3863/9/_/_/_/957821535/