Subject: I opened a mailing-list for "Extended SQL"

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 19:47:06 +0200 (IST)

I opened a mailing-list to discuss the Extended SQL initiative, which aims
to extend the SQL standard so there actually will be significant database
compatiblity.

To subscribe to it, write a letter to:

[email-masked]

The mailing-list homepage is:

http://www.egroups.com/group/x-sql

A homepage, where we store our RFCs, conclusions, recommendations, etc.
will be up shortly. (I need to ask Ira to allocate an x-sql.iglu.org.il
domain). 

I'd like to gain some momentum in the list before I publicize it in
broader open-source circles such as Slashdot, LWN, etc.

You are welcome to join and happy standarizing!

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked] 
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of 
converting any statement that follows it into a true one.

---

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 20:07:42 +0200

> The W3C is fairly Open-Source, or at least their standards 
> are publicly
> available for free. Anyway, I welcome commercial DB vendors 
> to join the
> X-SQL effort so they'll have a voice too.

It has memebers both from Microsoft and Netscape forming 2/5 of its deciding
board.

What I mean is that by publishing on LWN and /. you may get the agreement of
the opensource community, but not of the Nasdaq community.