Subject: Upgrade Yourself!

From: "Eli Marmor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 05:59:43 -0000

[I'm not exactly subscribed, so CC me if you think I should read your
response]

Hey, where do you live ???

Maybe you didn't hear, but it's not exciting to code an HTTPD in
PostScript anymore, and even a Palm-based web-server is not an April 1
fool anymore (this time, there is a serious OSS project which
implements it). The new hype is around writing web-servers in
primitive languages like Turing or SED (see also
http://modi.bowerbird.com.au:8080/sedhttpd.html ), and a poll about
languages, without Assembly, looks like a real hacker's poll (I mean
that probably hackers hacked the site, and put Schema instead of
Assembly). Even a simple stack buffer overflow of C programs can't be
done without knowing what Assembly this code is compiled into. And
what about Java, or at least its ByteCode? I think that the most
amazing plays with the own code can be done using Java internals.

It's not 1980 anymore. Java is there, and is a legitimate language.
x86 is alive, and its Assembly can be used in a hackers list. Web
server are already written in the most bizzare languages, so it is not
an issue anymore. And if you want a real poll, please remove bizzare
languages that nobody uses them, and put the classic languages that
hackers always used. And what about code which changes itself?  It
must be cooler than a JavaScript based web server, or even than
drinking beers with C++ as one suggested (unless the beers were cooled
using a frigider).

P.S.  Cheers for the good initiative and willingness!  Good luck with
this list!

---

From: Omer Mussaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 09:43:00 +0300

> Hey, where do you live ???

under desk, sleeping with debugger, falling apart when dragged out.

> amazing plays with the own code can be done using Java internals.

((lambda (x) (x x))(lambda (x) (x x)) will cause a nice buffer overflow.
one line, gigs of fun.

> drinking beers with C++ as one suggested (unless the beers were cooled

ghod, you just do not know lisp. you had just described most touching
things in lisp. you have to join the list

However, there is some truth in your words. Man, we are 3 days old:))

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *--- FREE VOICEMAIL FOR YOUR HOME PHONE! ---*
> With eVoice Now you can keep in touch with clients, vendors, co-workers,
> friends and family ANYTIME, ANYWHERE. Sign Up Today for FREE!
> http://click.egroups.com/1/3426/9/_/_/_/957765594/
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]

--
Omer Mussaev    051-308-214   mailto:[email-masked]
systems programmer, Mercury Interactive/RND/Conduct/core

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 11:08:03 +0300 (IDT)

> things in lisp. you have to join the list

Shouldn't that be "you have to cons to the list"? Actually, I prefer
functional style, so we'l just tail-call the real world with the
"hackers-il" argument (cons 'marmor hackers-il)

--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html
http://www.linux.org.il -- we put the penguin in .com

---

From: Eli Marmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 22:27:37 +0300

> However, there is some truth in your words. Man, we are 3 days old:))

Wow, you are old men!
(I'm embarrassed to reveal my age here...)

-- 
Eli Marmor