Subject: A Riddle + A computerized solver for it.

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:30:32 +0300 (IDT)

Check:

http://www.iit.edu/~maxiori/apps/Theseus.html

For a Java applet that contains the "Theseus and the Minotaur" riddle as a
Java applet.

Now I managed to solve it myself, after some hard thought. Afterwards, I
set up to write a perl script to solve it, and was successful at that too.
The script manages to solve it very quickly, by using a procedural
Depth-First Search scan.

You can find it here:

http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/minotaur/

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:44:58 +0300 (IDT)

Check:

http://www.logicmazes.com/

For a very interesting site that contains some Theseus and the Minotaur
puzzles as well as many others. Eventually, the solver I wrote for the
Minotaur mazes evolved into something that could solve two more types of
mazes there, and possibly more in the future:

http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/logic-mazes/

Check:

http://www.advogato.org/person/shlomif/diary.html?start=30

for a more complete story on the evolution of the program so far.

Hackfully yours,

	Shlomi Fish

There is no IGLU Cabal! No-one could find the A* weighting function to
solve "The Great IGLU Cabal Puzzle", and DFS and BFS proved to be
inadequate for this purpose.