Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Hack Proposal : DeCSS in JavaScript

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:50:49 +0200

> 1. Write a heuristic of a C to JS converter. There are ANSI C 
> parsers out
> there, so we may use them as the basis. Or we can hack something from
> scratch in perl.
> 
> That way we wouldn't even write the code directly.

C to JS convertor? Are you serious? Written as a "perl hack"?
Why, this is too easy, make it a oneliner just for the challange.

Do you have any concrete plan? Because this sounds extremely difficult, and
not very worthwhile to me.
You know the kind of C the Perl to C compiler produces? With C to JS it will
be much worse, the concepts being so different.

While C programs will usually use pointers and structs extensivly, we will
need to do everything in functions (functions being the first level object
of JS).

Anyway, if you have details, I'd love to hear.
And yes, this is very on-topic for the list. DeCSS and Hacks! we never got
more on-topic than that :-)

Thanks,
Chen.

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 03:22:02 +0300 (EEST)

> need to do everything in functions (functions being the first level object

Actually, the original DeCSS code uses some pointer arithmetics and even
assumes the machine is little endian. So I found that I needed some
conversion to get it running. Of course, I could not get it running on any
of the three browsers (Konqueror, Mozilla and Netscape 4.7) I tried, and I
get some obscure JS errors. Chen, from what I understand, you did some
serious work in JS, so can I send you the code I have made so far, and you
will tell me what is wrong?

> more on-topic than that :-)

Well, I am glad that we are fullfilling our calling.

However, there could be legal implications which might pressure Yahoo
Groups to close this list if things get dirty. I see some solutions:

1. Be careful. Put the code on an Israeli site and only link to it here.
The DMCA says that even links can be wrong, but since my E-mail messages
have plain-text links, I'm not violating it. Yahoo Groups hyperlink it
automatically, but that's their problem.

(BTW, I used a perl script to hyperlink all the 2600's mirror links,
and included the hyperlinked version on my DeCSS mirror)

2. Move the discussion to [email-masked]. It was not created yet,
but I can easily create it and subscribe whoever wants to be there.

Of course, DeCSS-related links appeared here before, but not active
coordination of porting it. Maybe I'm a little too paranoid, but I don't
want hackers-il to shut down or even move out of Yahoo Groups (which gives
a good service) just because I wanted to violate the DMCA in a novell way.

BTW, I was thinking that when the page with the JS loads. I will say
something like:

<<<
Congratulations!

You have violated the DMCA and have a running version of DeCSS for
JavaScript on your home computer.

Hackers-IL's DeCSS for JavaScript is:
	1. The next logical step in DeCSS availability.
	2. Putting another nail in the DMCA coffin.
	3. A very stupied hack - but a cute one.

Make thousands of web vistors to your web-site violate the DMCA!
<a href="...">Get your own DeCSS box now! </a>

I realize it sounds very marketish, but it's also quite funny IMHO.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> Thanks,
> Chen.
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
what went wrong more quickly.