Subject: USMC reading list

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:59:28 +0200

As seen on another list: 

The US Marine Corps reading list:
http://www.usmc.mil/cmcalmars.nsf/f9c9e7a1fe55fe42852564280078b406/39da7ce39611249e8525645e00755e1d?OpenDocument

Notable notices: 

 - HEINLEIN, STARSHIP TROOPERS (TRAINING)

 - CARD, ENDER'S GAME (TACTICS)

Anyone knows of an equivalnet IDF list? 
-- 
Muli Ben-Yehuda				    http://www.mulix.org/
[email-masked]:~$ sctrace strace /bin/foo  http://syscalltrack.sf.net/
Quis custodes ipsos custodiet?              http://www.mulix.org/cv.html

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Nov 2002 17:27:08 +0200

> The US Marine Corps reading list:

I didn't know jarheads knew how to read... Oh, 2 books a year...
Including the US Constitution...

> Notable notices: 

GUEVARA, CHE GUEVARA ON GUERRILLA WARFARE (SMALL WARS)

Interestingly, the mandatory lists are per rank... And I don't think
there is a single book there I have read or intended two. And I served
in two armies...

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked] 
========================================================
First binary search algorithm         - J. Mauchly, 1946        
First correct binary search algorithm - D.H.Lehmer, 1960

---

From: Orna Agmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:19:49 +0200 (IST)

> Anyone knows of an equivalnet IDF list? 

When I was in the army we did not exactly get a reading list, but there 
were certain books that we were made to feel that if we did not read them, 
we are rather ignorant.

Alvin Toffler, the third wave

TILIM MUNHIM VENESHEK RAKETI, AZRIEL K LORBER

TZAYADEY HAHELKIKIM , PROF YUVAL NE'EMAN

Machiavelli: The Prince

Principles of War, by Carl von Clausewitz 

Blood, Tears and Folly. An Objective Look at World War II. by Len 
Deighton.
-- 
Orna.   |  http://tx.technion.ac.il/~agmon

A cat has claws at the end of its paws.    
A sentence has a pause at the end of its clause.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:45:19 +0200

> TZAYADEY HAHELKIKIM , PROF YUVAL NE'EMAN

This is an ok book, but won't teach anything new to someone with a
degree in physics ;)

> Principles of War, by Carl von Clausewitz 

Instead of reading this old thing, I would recommend John Keegan's "A History
of Warefare" (writen in 1993, right after the Gulf War).
It covers the entrire history of warfare, from prehistory and various
tribes all over the world, through chariots, legions, horses, muskets, and
so on, to mutual assured distruction, the Gulf War and the U.N. It talks
about war technology, waring people, soldiers and the history of wars, but
also discusses the question of why wars have been a part of the human
experience since prehistory.

Keegan's basic thesis is that von Clausewitz was wrong: not only is war
not a continuation of policy with other means (and Keegan gives plenty of
examples to prove this), but he claims that von Clausewitz-ian thought is
what caused the militirization of Europe in the 19th century, the idea of
mandatory army serice for every man (which never existed in earlier
centuries - soldiers were always a small minority) and brought on "the great
war" (the first world war). Keegan would argue that von Clausewitz's book
should never be taught to officers today.

It is available for only 20 shekels in Zomet Sfarim, by the way.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |      Tuesday, Nov 12 2002, 8 Kislev 5763
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I considered atheism but there weren't
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |enough holidays.

---

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 00:23:12 +0200

> Principles of War, by Carl von Clausewitz 

While we're at it, on my personal list: 

Sun Tzu's The Art of War, and 

Musashi's Five Rings. 

Both available online, but I'm too lazy to google. 

> Blood, Tears and Folly. An Objective Look at World War II. by Len 

Didn't know he wrote non fiction. Interesting.

---

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Nov 2002 11:04:09 +0200

> Sun Tzu's The Art of War, and 

Indeed, that's one of the best books i ever read about the subject,
especially once you learn to not take it "at surface level".

> Musashi's Five Rings. 

I like this one much less for some reason and couldn't connect to it.

Gilad

-- 
 Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]> 
 http://benyossef.com 
 "Denial really is a river in Eygept."

---

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:37:29 +0200

> I like this one much less for some reason and couldn't connect to
it.

Did you do any martial arts? 

I read Musashi's Five Rings in one sitting, a few hours before
Ninjitsu practice. During the practice, I found myself assessing
situations and behaving subtly different than I usually did. Perhaps
it was the book, perhaps cosmic radiation, perhaps some other thing. 
-- 
Muli Ben-Yehuda				    http://www.mulix.org/
[email-masked]:~$ sctrace strace /bin/foo  http://syscalltrack.sf.net/
Quis custodes ipsos custodiet?              http://www.mulix.org/cv.html

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Nov 2002 12:38:50 +0200

> Didn't know he wrote non fiction. Interesting. 

Given that his fiction is very poorly researched (it was so annoying
to me that I have not touched his books for years after reading a few
titles), I wonder what his non-fiction looks like.

I'd like to see what Tom Clancy, or, better yet, Frederick Forsyth
have to say on the matter.