Subject: Joke: Haskell's Terminology vs. C++'s

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:39:57 +0200 (IST)

Haskell contains a "class" construct which is exactly the same as a
template in C++. I.e: is a unified API across several data types.

Now, O'Haskell which is the object-oriented extension to Haskell, had to
use the keyword "struct" to define an objects' class, becuase "class" was
already taken. Now, it also has the keyword "template", which seems to
instantize an object and initialize it. They could not use the keyword
"instance" because it is used to implement a "class" for a certain type...

So here is the Haskellish dictionary for C++'ers:

class ==> template
instance ==> template binding
struct ==> class
template ==> object or class instance.

If you are confused, you should be.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

There is no IGLU Cabal! Or, from Hebrew: "The Bouquet of Izz-know is an
Capacitor Igloo."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"