Subject: Commercials and deep programming truth

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:17:55 +0200

Hi,

Lately I heard a commercial about food with a radically new packaging or
something. One of the things that caght my ear was the sentence "Eat a bit,
put it back in the fridge, eat a bit, put it...".

And I was enlighted. Isn't this the entire point of Extreme Programming?

For example:

1) Design a bit, code it, design a bit, code it...
2) Code a bit, test it, code a bit...
3) Refactor a bit, test it, refactor a bit, test it..,

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:01:03 +0200 (IST)

> 3) Refactor a bit, test it, refactor a bit, test it..,

I wouldn't call spending several good hours on making a major change to
one's application before you get something that compiles, much less runs
without segfaults, or apparent bugs -  "code a bit". I'd call it "code a
lot".

Sure, there is a certain cycle to it, but sometimes I have had to make
major overhauls to the code, not to mention re-writes of certain portions. 
PHP was already re-written from scratch 4 times, and the GIMP, which is a
huge program, is expecting one major re-write now. Life is a developer is
not about bits but rather about mega-bytes, if you ask me.

I'm going to make another post to this list, which is going to take a
rather contradictory view to software development. Stay tuned.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked] 
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of 
converting any statement that follows it into a true one.