Subject: [joke] Lord of the CDs

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 21:55:15 +0200

The following Microsoft-bashing joke appeared on rec.humor.funny in
1996. Probably more people will understand it now that the first movie
in the Lord of the Rings trilogy is out (it's a very good movie, by the way)
and after someone (Muli) posted here a link to the dome in MIT about a week
ago :)

    From: [email-masked]
    Subject: What you did not know about Windows 95

    Recently one of my friends, a computer wizard, payed me a visit.  As we
    were talking I mentioned that I had recently installed Windows 95 on my
    PC, I told him how happy I was with this operating system and showed
    him the Windows 95 CD.  Too my surprise he threw it into my micro-wave
    oven and turned on the oven.  Instantly I got very upset, because the
    CD had become precious to me, but he said:  'Do not worry, it is
    unharmed.'  After a few minutes he took the CD out, gave it to me and
    said:  'Take a close look at it.'  To my surprise the CD was quite cold
    to hold and it seemed to be heavier than before.  At first I could not
    see anything, but on the inner edge of the central hole I saw a
    inscription, an inscription finer than anything I have ever seen
    before.  The inscription shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if
    out of a great depth:

    12413AEB2ED4FA5E6F7D78E78BEDE8209450920F923A40EE10E510CC98D444AA08E1324

    'I cannot understand the fiery letters,' I said.

    'No but I can,' he said.  'The letters are Hex, of an ancient mode, but
    the language is that of Microsoft, which I shall not utter here.  But
    in common English this is what it says:'

             One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them,

         One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |      Tuesday, Dec 25 2001, 11 Tevet 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |A Nobel Peace Prize? I would KILL for one
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |of those.

---

From: Alon Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 22:19:13 +0200 (IST)

> and after someone (Muli) posted here a link to the dome in MIT about a week

  Yeah... It's so strange they copied for such major part in the movie an
old Microsoft joke.

  Alon

-- 
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([email-masked]) ICQ:1366540
The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the chief duties of the mathematician in acting as an advisor...
is to discourage... from expecting too much from mathematics.
		-- N. Wiener