Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Summary of a Bash Lecture

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:15:56 +0200

> Well, my point was that building long strings is a very natural thing.
> In what situation do you want to get a warning? On using too 
> much memory?
> It's easier to set soft limits, in that case.

Its natural to build long strings. Why, we web builders keep entire html
pages in strings.
My point is that if such a string persists over <user set> minutes and grows
- its a special case.

Besides, you don't have to use anything. Many people don't lint either.

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:23:50 +0200 (IST)

> Besides, you don't have to use anything. Many people don't lint either.

I didn't say it wasn't useful -- I just said it'd be hard to seperate
the gold from the straw.
--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez

---

From: Omer Mussaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 16:20:56 +0300

> I didn't say it wasn't useful -- I just said it'd be hard to seperate

Well, lint, purify, etc are not supposed to make 1-year experience into 
10 year or make you
program much better... - they are to annoy you each time you hit usually 
dangerous pattern.
For example: a program which gets from user 2 numbers and prints first 
num/ second num.

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main (int argc , char * argv [] )
{
     return printf ("%s / %s is %f \n" , argv [1], argv[2], atoi 
(argv[1] ) / atoi (argv[2]) ) ;
}
there are 5 bugs in that program... however, its compiled perfectly by 
cc -W -Wall on linux and cc -v on Solaris.
lint finds out that argc is not used - no one can warn me of bugs I 
nested into that code...

A tool to rise that kind of warnings could be very useful, IMHO