Subject: Interesting time_t :)

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:56:14 +0300

I don't normally post here stuff from slashdot, but today they announce
a very important event that you won't want to miss: Tomorrow, on 7:25:21 am
(Israeli Daylight Time), according to their calculation, the Unix time
reaches 987654321!

So don't forget to wake up early tomorrow and run 'date +%s' :)

See http://slashdot.org/articles/01/04/17/1915221.shtml

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Apr 19 2001, 26 Nisan 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Entropy: Not just a fad, it's the
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |future!

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:16:22 +0300

> (Israeli Daylight Time), according to their calculation, the Unix time

Ooops - it appears it was _today_ morning :(

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Apr 19 2001, 26 Nisan 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Cigarette: tobacco wrapped in paper,
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |fire at one end, and a fool at the other.

---

From: guy keren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:23:36 +0300 (EET DST)

> See http://slashdot.org/articles/01/04/17/1915221.shtml

well, my machine will get to this date before yours, cause my clock is
improperly adjusted. the time at simey's timezone is now:

Thu Apr 19 17:27:25 IDT 2001

and it can't be properly fixed. IDT time is now:

Thu Apr 19 14:22:30 EET DST 2001

you obviously see this interesting issue... for years it haunts me...
years, i tell ya!

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,
 or dial 0, and please hold, for the creator." -- nob o. dy

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:33:16 +0300

> you obviously see this interesting issue... for years it haunts me...

Do you mean you've had the wrong time on your system for years and just
lived with it? :)

Is this a Linux machine? Perhaps you simply have a problem that your hardware
clock (which in Linux is seperate from the kernel clock!) is set in GMT while
your Linux thinks it's in local time, or vice versa? This happens a lot when
you also try to have a Windows installation on the same machine. Try looking
at setclock(8) and at your /etc/sysconfig/clock. All that, of course, is
relevant only if we're talking about a Linux machine.

P.S. Now that I so absentmindedly missed time 987654321, I'm eagerly waiting
to September, to see time 999999999 :)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Apr 19 2001, 26 Nisan 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Those are my principles. If you don't
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |like them, I have others.