Subject: Re: [Haifux] Python Lecture

From: mulix <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:12:52 +0200

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 07:57:21PM +0200, Orr Dunkelman wrote:
> Next Monday, 18/3/2, 18:30, Taub 6, mulix will give alecture about
> Python.

first draft[1] of the lecture slides available at
http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~mulix/python-lecture/html/index.html 

[1] this lecture is aimed at beginners. it has two parts - a short
(very short) tutorial on python and several scripts and a snippet
showing what i do with python. interesting, elegant (and relatively
short) code snippets showing the power of python will be most welcome!
-- 
The ill-formed Orange		
Fails to satisfy the eye:       http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~mulix/ 
Segmentation fault.		http://syscalltrack.sf.net/

---

From: guy keren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:18:15 +0200 (EET)

> http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~mulix/python-lecture/html/index.html

slide 8, give a concrete example of an 'if' command, like you did
     with the 'while' command.

     regarding 'range': state if the ends aer inclusive or exclusive. it
        _looks_ like the start is inclusive, while the end is exclusive
        (.e. up to one before the given number). or perhaps its not the
        last number in the range, but rather the number of elements in the
        range to generate for the list?

slide 10, definition of function 'f' lacks a parameter:
    def f:   --> def f(a):

    when showing filter, map, 'for' and 'del', write a comment stating
       what the output is, like you did in the rest of the examples.

slide 11, part after 'more conditionals' - what is conditional about these
     assignments?

slide 15: you run a perl script from a python function? blashphemy! :)

general: 'upload.py' is too long to serve as a first script example, and
         introduces too many library functions for a first script
         (REs, OS APIs). better put the googler.py first.

          googler.py might go against the terms of use of google ;)

          also good to put the compile_test.py before upload.py .

          you won't have time to go over all the examples - the tutorial
          part will take more then an hour, in my opinion.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,
 or dial 0, and please hold, for the creator." -- nob o. dy