Subject: [Essay] Changing the BitKeeper License and Why it is Needed

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:45:58 +0200 (IST)

http://better-scm.berlios.de/bk/relicensing_bk.html

Which can be thought as "GPLing BK" version 2.

A note to someone, who criticized me of fighting BitKeeper by Advocacy
instead of code: I have contributed some patches to Subversion, and one of
them was already accepted. Not to the core code, but nevertheless.

Other than that, I think advocacy articles are a perfectly fine way of
advancing the community. The most productive things in a worker's life are
the key decisions he make that change the way he ran things before.
Actualy coding is much less productive. Writing a lot of code that
eventually turns out that could have been much better designed is much
less productive than coming with a good design and implementing the
modified code. Now, the good design is a key decision.

The reason I read Joel on Software, CatB and other resources like that, is
that they give me a lot of insights that I would otherwise have to come
up on my own. Then, I see that they influence my projects by one way or
another and increase my productivity. It seems Oleg thinks most of what
Joel says is simply Common-Sense which may indicate he is experienced
enough to have come up with these insights himself. Which is a good sign.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"