Subject: The Mysterious Case of Sklyarov and DMCA

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:41:37 +0200 (EET)

Dmitry Sklyarov is the Russian programmer, who was arrested in USA due to
violation of the DMCA.  He was allowed to return to Russia on the
condition that he and his company's manager agree to come back to USA to
testify in court.

They were supposed to show up in the court on October 21, but they
couldn't because they were denied visas for entering USA.

The most recent news item, which I found when searching the Slashdot and
The Register Web sites, dated from October 17.

Does anyone know what happened to the trial since then?
                                             --- Omer
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:48:10 +0200

> couldn't because they were denied visas for entering USA.

I didn't follow this case.

But denying him entrance to the US (not necessarily in the form of a generic
"visa") is very strange, to say the least. The INS, or state depertment, or
whoever is in charge of granting entry permits, should be charged with
contempt of court...

Habeas corpus! :)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Sunday, Nov 10 2002, 5 Kislev 5763
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |New! Divorcee Barbie! Comes with all the
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |usual accessories, plus all of Ken's stuff

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:07:35 +0200 (EET)

I don't think that it was strange to deny him an entry permit.  It may
have been an attempt by the Feds to save face by putting the trial in a
deadlocked state.

The strange thing is that nothing was written about the scene in the court
on Oct. 21th, when the judge, jury, and batteries of lawyers show up, only
to be greeted with the announcement that Sklyarov and his boss didn't show
up due to reasons beyond their control.

I wonder if the judge dismissed the trial, rescheduled it, or found
against the defendants by not accepting their excuses for not showing up.

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote:

> > violation of the DMCA.He was allowed to return to Russia on the

                                             --- Omer