Subject: Python

From: "nbsp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:45:37 +0200

Hey Guys ,

I have been watching Python lately and looked at it carefully it's a high level language ... But is it possible that a high-level language that easy can be proficient and usable ?I mean is it worth learning it ? Is it comparable to C/C++ or does it have less possibilities ?

Regards,

&nbsp;

---

From: Adi Stav <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:08:41 +0200

> I have been watching Python lately and looked at it carefully it's a high level language ... But is it possible that a high-level language that easy can be proficient and usable ?I mean is it worth…

I'm not sure what you're after. If you are looking to compare language
features, then Python is a very different language from C/C++ and have
different language features. Pointers and stack objects would not make 
sense in Python, while dictionary-based classes would not make sense
in C or C++.

If you are talking about libraries, then there are a lot of Python
modules in the standard library for almost everything.

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:18:53 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, nbsp wrote:

> I have been watching Python lately and looked at it carefully it's a
> high level language ... But is it possible that a high-level language
> that easy can be proficient and usable ?I mean is it worth learning it
> ? Is it comparable to C/C++ ordoes it have less possibilities ?

Yes, the language is quite usable.  Nowadays it is my default scripting
language, and it is easy to program in it.
However it is not comparable to C/C++.  C/C++ are for code which needs to
be excuted fast, and can bear long development time.  Python is for code,
which needs to be developed quickly, but doesn't have to be efficient at
runtime.
                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  Too many activities were distupted by pranksters,
who believed that it is very hilarious to see people's reaction to white
dust appearing at random places.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html