Subject: D Programming Language and exception handling

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:41:41 +0300 (EET DST)

For information about D Programming Language , see:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/overview.html

One of the most welcome items in the wish list for the language is
separation between lexical analyzer and parser.
The need to grep and otherwise analyze C/C++ source code comes to me
surprisingly often.  A better way to parse source code and extract from it
the information which I need (like inheritance tree of code base having
300 classes) - would be quite welcome.

I take exception with the claim about the virtue of exception handling.
My personal experience with code which throws exceptions is not favorable.
There are always all those ugly things, which need to be cleaned up after
a code snippet has aborted due to an exception...

What is the opinion of the Hackers-IL collective wisdom about the issue of
exception handling in new programming languages?
                                             --- Omer
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:10:23 +0300 (EEST)

> exception handling in new programming languages?

AFA C++ is concerned I think exceptions are evil. If a language has
garbage collection then usually most of the evils of exceptions can be
solved, so I occasionally use exceptions in Perl.

Java's exception handling can be annoyting at times. When I wrote MikMod
for Java, I had to include a lot of try { } catch { } blocks, which I
hoped could be avoided. Perl is much better in this regard, because an
excpetion is a truly dynamically-typed one, and there is no need to even
catch such an exception (in the price of exitting the program).

What could be a nice language feature would be exceptions for which the
programmer can decide to let the program go on from where the exception
was thrown or from the catch block. I suppose high-level languages will be
able to implment such a feature more easily than C++.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
what went wrong more quickly.