Subject: Fwd: [CrackMonkey] huge-ass palindromes, with PYTHON

From: mulix <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:12:19 +0200

seeing that this list has been rather quiet lately, i figured this
might be interesting. 

shlomi, this mail does *not* constitute a challenge to write the code
in perl or haskell, nor to add palindrome support to freecell solver
or check that the locking order in the FCFS lock is palindromatic. 

[sorry, couldn't resist ;)]

dont forget to check out the rest of norvig's site - pretty
interesting papers there. 

----- Forwarded message from Nick Moffitt <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:02:47 -0800
From: Nick Moffitt <[email-masked]>
User-Agent: Mutt/1.3.27i
To: The Status is that Rob Levin Should Get a Life <[email-masked]>
Subject: [CrackMonkey] huge-ass palindromes, with PYTHON

http://www.norvig.com/palindrome.html

A pity it doesn't make any sense.

-- 
INFORMATION GLADLY GIVEN BUT SAFETY REQUIRES AVOIDING UNNECESSARY CONVERSATION
end 
	01234567 <- The amazing* indent-o-meter! 
        ^	    (*: Indent-o-meter may not actually amaze.)

_______________________________________________
CrackMonkey: Non-sequitur arguments and ad-hominem personal attacks
http://crackmonkey.org/mailman/listinfo/crackmonkey

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
mulix 

http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~mulix/
http://syscalltrack.sf.net/

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 19:12:36 +0200

> http://www.norvig.com/palindrome.html

A note to Shlomi: Peter Norvig has done a lot of interesting stuff,
including a very interesting (historically and technologically) book
titled "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies
in Common Lisp".

http://www.norvig.com/paip.html

If you get your hands on it, I challenge you to write a General
Problem Solver in that new dialect of Perl of yours ;-)

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked] 
"If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:42:10 +0200 (IST)

> Problem Solver in that new dialect of Perl of yours ;-)

Can you explain what the General Problem Solver does? I mean, what is
meant by "General Problem"?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Feb 2002 20:39:51 -0500

> meant by "General Problem"?

Get your hands on Norvig's book if you are really interested, but
basically GPS was the vision (back in the 50ies) of a program that
would be able to solve any problem that could be described in terms of
means-ends analysis (anyone up on Aristotle here? How many geeks with
classical education are there on hackers-il? I know I am not one of
them [sigh]). The vision never materialized, of course, which is
probably one of the major reason AI is such a dirty word, but the
research in abstraction of problem solving from particular problems
was not useless.

Norvig develops several version of GPS in his book. He has other fun
stuff in it, like the famous Eliza (shrink simulator, I never looked
into the emacs doctor-mode to check whether it is related), an algebra
word-problem solver, a symbolic math program (sort of simplified
Macsyma). I had fun reading it.

Btw, Shlomi, I hope it's clear I was (to some extent) pulling your
leg, since you seem to be the most excitable... ;-)

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked] 
If it aint't broken it hasn't got enough features yet.