Subject: OS development

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 11:07:50 -0000

Hi.

I'm doing an "Avodat Gmar" on the subject of Operating Systems.
Meanwhile most of the materials I found on the subject are in english 
and I would like to know if there are any hebrew materials avaiable?

I only managed to find the book "Operating Systems Concepts" by the 
Open University.
Are there any other materials (books, essays, etc...) that you can 
point me to?

Thanks.
   Peleg.

---

From: mulix <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 16:15:37 +0300 (IDT)

> and I would like to know if there are any hebrew materials avaiable?

except for the book you mention below, not that i know. perhaphs you
could tell us some more about what you want to do? we might be able to
recommend good resources, albeit probably in english.

ObCompletelyUnrelated: slashdot has a link to an mp3 of a lecture Marvin
Minsky (of AI fame) gave at a game developers' conference. interesting
listening material.
-- 
mulix
http://www.advogato.com/person/mulix

linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 18:22:45 +0300

> and I would like to know if there are any hebrew materials avaiable?

Sorry about the sarcasm, but I would point you to
	"English-Hebrew, Hebrew-English Dictionary" by Oxford University Press

But seriously now, all the good books in computing are in English. Even when
Israelis write great books they usually do it in English (e.g., Shimon Even,
and Bach was an Israeli too right?). Not all good books were translated to
Hebrew (if I had to bet I'd say most of them haven't been translated) - because
it seems the Hebrew translators concentrate on popular books like "HTML
writing" and "Windows for dummies", not on OS theory.

So if you're only looking for Hebrew books, watch out: you might be missing
the greatest books, that have never been translated. You might be reading
a crappy translation filled with mistakes (I've heard from a friend that they
often take a guy with barely any computer experience, and no translation
experience, give them the English book, and tell them to translate it. Probably
not all publishers do so, but some do. Does anybody know which publishers of
computer books in Hebrew are good?)

Unfortunately, I cannot point you to a good Hebrew book on OS - The only
computer book I ever read in Hebrew was a book about Basic, when I was 9
(I didn't know English then :( ). But I didn't understand this book at all,
so it didn't help that it was in Hebrew...

A side note: I think that English is probably the most important subject
you learn at school. This is because almost all people will actually need
to use it sometimes in their lives (as opposed to, say, calculating integrals),
and if you don't get comfortable with English during your school-years -
especially reading (and some writing), you're going to suffer in the future.
I've seen people (otherwise smart and educated) having a very hard time at
the university because instead of reading articles in the original English
they had to run around and get translations (this also costs them money),
reading second-rate translated books, and other similar problems, not to
mention that they couldn't write a decent article or manual in English if
their life depended on it.
There is only one way of getting comfortable with reading English: you need
to practice. Just read a lot of English (web pages and mailing lists are ok
too, but books are even better), and before you know it, you won't be
looking for Hebrew books any more.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Saturday, Jun  9 2001, 19 Sivan 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The message above is just this
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |signature's way of propagating itself.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:27:51 -0000

> 	"English-Hebrew, Hebrew-English Dictionary" by Oxford 
University Press

Apparently I forgot to mention that english is not a problem for me.
I am able to read freely in english (as well as russian and hebrew) 
but it would be nice to give to my guide something easy to read :)
his level of english is quite low, as it is for most teachers I 
know. :D

BTW, I prefer "The Chambers Dictionary". 
Peleg.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:33:23 -0000

--- In hackers-il@y..., mulix <mulix@a...> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 peleg_w@y... wrote:
> 

The work consists of 2 parts.
The first one is a theoretical one. It deals with explaining the 
various task an OS has to do, etc...
The second part is a SMALL OS I will write that will be able to run 
some basic programs in assembly.

Peleg.

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:51:30 +0300 (IDT)

> Are there any other materials (books, essays, etc...) that you can 

The Technion EE Faculty has lecture slides and exercise material in Hebrew
for its "Structure of OS" course.

The site is:

http://tiger.technion.ac.il/courses/046209/

Many of them are available online in Microsoftish Formats.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish
 
> 
> 
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
> 
>  
> 
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 
> 
> 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked] 
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
what went wrong more quickly.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:52:10 -0000

> Many of them are available online in Microsoftish Formats.

10x. It has some interesting stuff there I'm looking into it now.

     Peleg.