Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Slightly OT: Israel as a police state, and conte mporary politics

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:42:17 +0200

> How many of you read the beginning of "The Eternal Jew" which I posted
> here? I don't know because I did not receive any comment. I proposed
> there a better way to run Israel, so in the long term most of its
> political problems would be eliminated. Do you think
> philosophical/political discussions are off-topic for this 
> mailing list?
> After all, "The Eternal Jew" is a hack, and we are not called
> "computer-hackers-il".
 
As you know, we don't have a strict topic policy. So you can write what you
want. 
I can mention, that I prefer to keep politics off the list, but this is only
my personal preference.

I can suggest that a more appropriate forum for political/philosophical
discussion is www.haayal.co.il.
The audiance there is more varied as well, so you can get comments from a
wide variaty of people, and not just us geeks.

I did read your philosophical hack, but I didn't see this list as an
appropriate forum for discussing it.

Thanks,
Chen.

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 15:25:52 +0200 (IST)

If discussing Objectivism, Jewish Philosophy, and Israeli Politics is OT
here, (I don't deny it) then maybe I should start a Philosophy-IL chapter
of Hackers-IL?

NAturally, even in philo-il, I would not want people to start political
flame-wars without having some creativity. (The left-wing rules! No,
the right-wing rules! No, center rules!) But hopefully, we can leave
obscure stuff that are not directly related to computers, technology and
sciense, out of the way.

Let me know if you think it is a good idea.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 15:32:26 +0200 (EET)

> I can mention, that I prefer to keep politics off the list, but this is only

I strongly recommend keeping politics off the list.

This subject is very volatile, and may cause rather nasty explosion, which
will destroy the only forum for Israeli hackers, which I know about.  As
Chen said, there are several other places suitable for political
discussions.

People, who participate in Hackers-IL, participate in order to enjoy good
hacks.  If they wanted to enjoy politics, they'd participate in political
discussion groups.

The thing closest to politics, which I'd admit to the list is the politics
of intellectual property, the Sklyarov affair, SSSCA, the dirty tricks of
Microsoft and the like.

                                             --- Omer
Long Live FriBidi!
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: "Amir Abiri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 15:33:55 +0200

From: "Shlomi Fish" <[email-masked]>
> Naturally, even in philo-il, I would not want people to start political

Basicly what you hope to achieve is an internet Philosophical/Political
debate among the very minimized group of israeli
geeks/programmers/hackers/Linux lovers... Right ?

Q: Why don't you like debating with ordinary people ?

--
http://abiri-e.com/
"God is a programmer".

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 15:37:03 +0200 (EET)

> here, (I don't deny it) then maybe I should start a Philosophy-IL chapter

I think it would make more sense to find an existing discussion group (in
Walla, Ort, Tapuz or whatever) which covers the subjects in question, and
move those discussions to that group.

                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  Someone started an IGLU Cabal without being aware
that one already exists.  As a result, the two IGLU Cabals annihilated
each other.  But oh god, the resulting photon pair was very colorful,
stunningly bright, angelically translucent, and shiny like superconducting
liquid hydrogen.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:11:38 +0200 (IST)

> Q: Why don't you like debating with ordinary people ?

No, I don't. It's just that Ha'ayal is in Hebrew and is not a mailing
list. I like debating with ordinary people, or at least those that are
intellectual enough to hold an intelligent discussion. I used to debate
with my apartment-mates and their friends, or with my next door neighbours
(in Haifa) about all sort of things, and I enjoyed it.

I like to make sure the posts of the discussion arrive at one of my
mailboxes, where I can read them on my free time, without having to have
a "web-forum" discipline. And Hebrew is many times inaccesible to me due
to the fact I work on Linux. (note to Tzafrir: yeah, I know I'm too lazy
to start messing with the heb-on-X hacks).

I would welcome non-technical people to join Philosophy-IL if they wish.
But I'm looking for an intelligent forum where I can enjoy such things
considering my technical whims.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> --
> http://abiri-e.com/
> "God is a programmer".
>
>
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:16:38 +0200 (IST)

> Chen said, there are several other places suitable for political

Agreed.

> hacks.  If they wanted to enjoy politics, they'd participate in political

Good hacks or discussion on programming. Like whether OO programming is a
mandtory paradigm or one that should not be enforced upon the programmer.
(sorry Guy, I could not resist).

> of intellectual property, the Sklyarov affair, SSSCA, the dirty tricks of

Agreed. Let's keep this list free of "pure" politics.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish