Subject: Re: DMCA, SSSCA/CBDTPA related laws in Israel?

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 00:35:00 +0300 (IDT)

Hello Shachar,
It's great that you agree to contribute some of your time to this
important cause instead of just sitting on your hands.

I believe that the first step is to assess the current situation.  The
biggest threats to intellectual freedom in Israel come from the following
directions:
1. Any binding international treaties.
2. Pressure from USA.

Only after we know the current situation, will it be appropriate to start
lobbying (which contacting MP Eitan and MP Burg amounts to).

We (or at least I) don't even know if there is any legislation in
progress, which needs to be stopped, or whether it is sufficient to
educate the MPs so that harmful legislation won't be started in the first
place.

It is also a good idea to map out the lobbying scene in Israel, and see if
there are any active lobbying groups, whose efforts need to be
neutralized. 

So, unless someone with the appropriate background comes up, it may be a
better idea to find an aide to a MP (probably one of MP Eitan's aides),
who is interested in the subject, and who can find 20 free hours to
perform the research. 

Followups - please only to Hackers-IL mailing list, no need to CC: me
personally or to cross-post to the Linux-IL mailing list (anyone
subscribed to Linux-IL and not to Hackers-IL, and who is interested in
the subject - please subscribe to Hackers-IL).

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Omer Zak wrote:
> 
> >1. Is there anyone with legal background and familiarity with the
> >   lawmaking work in the Knesset, who can tell us if there is any risk
> >   that laws like the DMCA or SSSCA/CBDTPA will be enacted in Israel?
> >
> >2. Are there any international treaties, to which Israel is signatory,
> >   which require it to pass such laws?
> >
> >3. If yes, is there anything which we can do to prevent the passage of
> >   those laws?
> >                                             --- Omer
> >
> I don't know, but if you decide to become active in this matter, you can 
> count on my active support. I think the first step is to contact the 
> more technically literate of our fine legistlators (I would have 
> suggested Burg, but my apretiation of him eroded significantly of late. 
> I can also suggest Michael Eitan). I will write Eitan if you write Burg.
> 
>                 Shachar

                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  It is an outlaw organization.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html