Subject: RE: [hackers-il] vim6+python abuse

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:00:33 +0200

> there are short and slightly ugly mail-lookup scripts for vim6+python.
> If you do not have vim6+python, there is a screenshot.
> Enjoy.
> 
> P.S. This is my first python program, so falmes are not accepted:)

Did Moshez finally converted Omerm? Did Omerm finally seen the light? Is
this the end of the language wars in Hackers-IL?

And on a completly diffrent note - 
I'm now going through Linear Algebra I course, as most of you know, this
course requires an insane amount of matix mastrubation.
For most Matrix Operations I use Octave, which is simple and cool.
One thing I didn't manage to do is manipulating a matrix where one or more
of the cells isn't a number but a parameter, whereby things get much more
complicated (as in addition to knowing how to manipulate a parameter, it
should also branch cases - if a=0 we can do this, but if its not we can do
other things, etc.).

Anyone knows of a program that do that, isn't too expensive, and isn't too
difficult to learn, and will require me the least amound of programming? (I
can write something like I described, but I prefer ready made solutions).

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:09:02 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Chen Shapira wrote:

> complicated 

It's not really complicated if you look at it from an OO viewpoint -- 
what you want can be phrased as "matrices of polyonmials in several 
variables".  If there's more then one parameter, things can get yucky
pretty quickly, since polynomials in more then one variable are not
euclidean. It's possible you'll be able to this with NumPy -- look
for Konrad Hinsen's Scientific Python. Of course, it really depends
on what you need to do. 

> (as in addition to knowing how to manipulate a parameter, it

This is *vey* hard, and I'll doubt you'll manage to find something that
can do that. I'm pretty sure matlab can't. Mathematica *might* be able to
do some of the easier things, but I doubt you can call Mathematica
"cheap". I am pretty sure no alternative exists today for Mathematica
(which is sad -- I'm sure a free software alternative would be great.)
The problem is that it's quite hard to do.

--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:11:42 +0200 (IST)

> can write something like I described, but I prefer ready made solutions).

Try jacal (http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/JACAL.html) or yacas 
(http://www.xs4all.nl/~apinkus/yacas.html). The yacas homepage contains
links to many other computer algebra programs, and I have a URL of a
directory of math program at home which I can send you (when I get home).

If you are looking for something good and you are willing to pay for it,
you might wish to try Matlab+Symbolics, Mathemtica, MathCad, Derive or
something like that. My suggestion is to first try the free program first.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish
 
> 
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
> 
> 
> 
> 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked] 
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of 
converting any statement that follows it into a true one.