Subject: Intelectual Property laws in Israel

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 20:00:09 +0200

Hi all,

Here's an interesting article from "Haaretz", about USA pressure on Israel
to toughen our IP laws.
http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/pages/ShArtPE.jhtml?itemNo=158068&contrassID
=2&subContrassID=6&sbSubContrassID=0

I'm not sure if anyone in the Knesset plans to do anything about it, but I
think following the matter is a good idea. I'd rather not wake up one
morning and see that we are copying objectionable IP laws from the US while
I slept.

BTW. Did you notice that in Hebrew "copyright" translate as "Producers
Rights"? (Zkhuyot Yotzrim) Interesting shift of focus, don't you think?

Thanks,
Chen.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 21:45:25 +0300

> Rights"? (Zkhuyot Yotzrim) Interesting shift of focus, don't you think?

But watch out: a "Producer" in English is not "Yozer", even though
"Produce" is "Tozeret" and "Product" is "Muzar".

Rather, A producer in English is the "Mafik", someone who manages the
creation (financially, administratively) but not the artist responsible
for the actual creation>. The "Yozer", is the artist (also called "author"
in some domains of creation). So "Zchuyot Yozrim" is probably better
translated as "Artist's Rights", which is indeed what copyright law was
originally aimed at achieving.

In any case, I don't think Zchuyot Yotzrim was ever meant to be exactly
the same term as copyright. Hebrew books usually write "copyright" (or
rather, the C in the circle), as well as "All rights reserved" - I never
seen any book refer to the term "Zchuyot Yozrim".

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Wednesday, May 1 2002, 20 Iyyar 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Having a smoking section in a restaurant
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |is like having a peeing section in a pool

---

From: Alon Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 00:11:39 +0300 (IDT)

> Rights"? (Zkhuyot Yotzrim) Interesting shift of focus, don't you think?

Actually, in Israel there are two different laws:
  "hok ha-copyright" and "hok zhuyot yotzrim", in addition to several other
laws. Search for "zhuyot yotzrim" (in hebrew) on google.co.il for a site
about this.

  Alon

-- 
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([email-masked]) ICQ:1366540
The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 -=[ Random Fortune ]=-
Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists.
		-- John Kenneth Galbraith