Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Monkey Trial

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:52:40 +0200

> 
> What's reality? What you preceive with your senses? Why do you think
> that the evidence you see is not self contradictary

If my senses are good enough for me to trust my life with them (and it
mostly works or we'll get evolutioned out) - they are a good enough basis
for philosophy. Thank you.

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:02:35 +0300 (IDT)

> for philosophy. Thank you.

Hardly. You learned by trial and error to work around the bugs in your
senses in common life situations, and you *know* they have bugs. Using
it as a base in proving something about the world is hardly something
you can justify logically. (You cannot say that from "good enough"
premises follows "good enough" conclusions -- logic is not continuous)
--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
There is no IGLU cabal.
http://advogato.org/person/moshez

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:44:39 +0300 (IDT)

Can anyone please take the lead in stopping to rehash what the eminent and
the one-grush philosophers have said during the last 500 years?

We are supposed to be hackers.  By definition, hacking has the element of
creating something novel (new, never existed previously).

If we must discuss classical philosophy and dusty epistemology, can we at
least find a really novel angle to discuss?

My non-novel 8.2 agorot:  I read with pleasure several of Ayn Rand's books
(both fictional and philosophical).  Yet I don't label myself as
"objectivist".  This is because someone who thinks for himself and reaches
his own conclusions - can't belong to any school of thought, which
consists of a leader (even if it is Ayn Rand) and followers.

> premises follows "good enough" conclusions -- logic is not continuous)

                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU cabal.  People, who are really original thinkers and can
get results, might however receive a surprising invitation one day.

WARNING:
By sending me unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message/s
(known also as "spam"), you irrevocably agree to pay me US$500.- (plus any
legal expenses incurred by my trying to collect the amount due) per
unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message - for the service
of receiving it.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:53:21 +0300

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000, Omer Zak wrote about "Philosophy Unhacked (was: RE: [hackers-il] Monkey Trial)":
>...

There's something I never understand about this group: sometimes it sits
for a week (or more) without a single post. Then someone posts about something
that interests him (or her), be it evolution, spamming, or whatever, and
then a dozen people get enthusiastic and write their thoughts about this
issue, and you start getting the real feeling of a community. And then
someone (or several people) comes along and declares that "this is not hacking"
and everyone shuts up.

If this is a technical-how-to-hack-group (like bugtraq, allowing only technical
and relevant postings) then ok, but don't expect it to show much activity.
If it is a "community" mailing list, where in this case it is a community
of Israeli "hackers", then we should be able to talk about anything we care
about. The volume of the mailing list should be irrelvant since I assume that
10 messages a day can be easily handled by each of our mail filters (I assume
we all have ones. After all, we're hackers ;) ). It's not like this mailing
list is going to have 200 messages a day anytime soon.

Just my own thoughts.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |         Wednesday, Aug 2 2000, 1 Av 5760
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Energizer Bunny arrested - charged with
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |battery.

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:27:41 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Nadav Har'El wrote:

> I assume that
> we all have ones. After all, we're hackers ;) ).

I don't have one. I like the low-tech way of dealing with e-mail -- I'm
not going to trust a program to do that for me. IOW, many hackers like
low-tech ways of doing things.

replying-only-to-minor-points-because-it's-fun-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
There is no IGLU cabal.
http://advogato.org/person/moshez