Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Re: OS development

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:19:30 +0200

> I would not go into all that trouble to learn Scheme just in order to
> understand what SchemeOS was all about. Learning Scheme, especially by
> means of the "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" book,
> gives one many useful techniques and insights about 
> programming. However,
> I don't think it well help you with the OS essay, per ce.

Nor will it help you much with Scheme.
This book is a great "introduction to CS" book, but its scheme content could
be shortened to a smaller book, and leave room for important concepts they
left out (continuations, letrec).

Scheme is a small language, SICP is a large book (and includes instructions
on writing scheme compilers).

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jun 2001 18:03:02 +0300

> Nor will it help you much with Scheme.

I disagree. You can learn Scheme from SICP, and more importantly,
you can learn a lot of relevant (to Scheme and beyond) concepts. 

In any case, IMH(umble)O this is one of the best CS books ever written
(here I believe Chen says something similar), and I heartily recommend
it.

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked] 
If it ain't broken, it hasn't got enough features yet.