Subject: Was slashdot.com slashdotted by slashdotters of slashdot?

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:26:48 +0300 (EET DST)

During the last few hours I was not successful in browsing
www.slashdot.com.
When trying to ping www.slashdot.com and www.slashdot.org, there was no
response (both resolve into 64.28.67.150).

Does anyone know what happened to them?
I am asking because such a behavior is compatible with the existence of
cort-issued gag order (and with technical problems, too).
                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  The reasons and history are under wraps, by order
of the third Senhadrin-appointed Internet Supervisory Committee, which had
court-like authority.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 2001 15:56:58 +0300

> response (both resolve into 64.28.67.150).

I can browse them but not ping them...

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked] 
"If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:05:42 +0300

> I can browse them but not ping them...

Maybe the billenium-bug (bibi, for short) broke their ping ;)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |        Monday, Sep 10 2001, 22 Elul 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |How long a minute depends on what side of
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |the bathroom door you're on.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:03:50 +0300

> cort-issued gag order (and with technical problems, too).

It is also compatible with a huge meteor hitting Northern California, or with
a soviet (boy, is that word an anachronism ;)) MIRV targetting the bay area.

And it is also compatible with transient network problems...

Anyway, slashdot.org Works For Me now.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |        Monday, Sep 10 2001, 22 Elul 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Always go to other people's funerals,
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |otherwise they won't come to yours.

---

From: Adi Stav <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:36:43 +0300

> > I can browse them but not ping them...

Slashdot has always been too l33t to return pings. At least from
my machine.

> Maybe the billenium-bug (bibi, for short) broke their ping ;)

Slashdot has been down recently for 48 hours. It has also removed
contents in the past when pressured. The "slash" code is also
infamous for the incredible abominations one can find inside.
Probably technical :)