Subject: RE: Autodidects vs. degreed students (was: Re: [hackers-il] Re: G rades and The Real World...)

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:13:58 +0200

> Chen, is that a new development, or were you like this in your first
> stab at comp sci too? 

My first stab was much less serious for several reasons:

1) After 3 years of high-school, my self esteem was too high. I wasn't
familiar with the idea that work is necessary to succeed. I was too used to
succeeding effortlessly.

2) I wasn't interested in CS back then, I went to study CS because of social
pressure and circumstances.

BTW. About female hacker type, I can testify that hacker attitudes are very
discouraged in females.
Girls, that are curios, self motivated, independent and argumantive at age
12, are rarely so at age 17. I know that I'm still working to recapture some
of the "attitude" I lost during my high school years. 
Mary Piper and Margaret Meads, have several studies about this phenomenon.

I can talk about this much more, as this is a primary area of interest for
me (Duh!)...
Perhaps later.

Chen.