Subject: New in Google

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:48:01 +0200

One of things that makes Google one of my favorite companies is their
creativity. I think I already mentioned on this list their holiday logos
(of which I'm an avid collector :)).

Recently Goggle started adding at an ever-increasing pace new an exciting
features to their site. Many of you have probably seen their News search [1],
their pay-money-for-answers-from-a-human section [2], their glossary [3],
not to mention their 20-years-of-usenet search [4], Linux-specific search [5],
and other things.

The latest exciting addition to this impressive array of features is
Google's new "catalog" search. They have scanned-in hundreds of mail-order
catalogs, OCRed them, and let you search them. For example try

http://catalogs.google.com/catalogs?q=chinchilla+sand

This is absolutely amazing! It's not useful to me (what can I do with American
catalogs?), but imagine what other things can be done with that cool
technology!

I suggest that we should add to the "Siddur" a prayer for the well-being
of the company Google :) Wouldn't it be sad if it went belly-up, like the
rest of the "dot-com" companies?

[1] http://news.google.com/
[2] https://answers.google.com/answers/main?sourceid=tiplt
[3] http://labs.google.com/glossary
[4] http://groups.google.com/
[5] http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=shark

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Dec 26 2002, 21 Tevet 5763
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Two wrongs may not may a right, but three
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |rights make a left.

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Dec 2002 17:06:50 +0200

> rest of the "dot-com" companies?

They are privately funded and have no intention to go public, thus
protected from the easily scared NASDAQ lemmings.

They are reportedly quite frugal, operationally, and staying in the
black is one of their core philosofical principles.

Gooo Gooogle! ;-)

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked]

---

From: Orna Agmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 19:44:16 +0200 (IST)

Please register, those who got books from me:

Down and out in Paris and London- Orwell- BCID 718-424096

The fountainhead- Rand- : BCID 451-424104

All Quiet on the Western Front -- by Erich Maria Remarque-BCID: 938-424109 

If there was anything else, please tell me so that I can register it.

I got:

the selfish gene 

jack welch's autobiography

shardik

the annotated alice
-- 
Orna.   |  http://tx.technion.ac.il/~agmon

A righteous man is a greedy capitalist,
paid in a non commercial coin.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 23:48:52 +0200

> All Quiet on the Western Front -- by Erich Maria Remarque-BCID: 938-424109 

I caught it.

> the selfish gene 

The BCID of this book is on its first page (and I wrote it also to hackers-il
last Saturday night). Please "catch" it when you get a chance.

> the annotated alice

Guy registered it...

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Friday, Dec 27 2002, 23 Tevet 5763
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Does replacing myself with a shell-script
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |make me impressive or insignificant?

---

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 23:31:37 +0200

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 07:44:16PM +0200, Orna Agmon wrote:

[bookcrossing stuff]

I got the following books: 

Immortality, Inc. by Robert Sheckley (hebrew translation, no ISBN). 
Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, 0-449-23599-8
Sendmail, by Bryan Costales with Eric Allman & Neil Rickett,
1-56592-056-2

Whoever got them, please register them if you want to and send me the
BCID. Otherwise, I'll start the chain here when I'm done with them. 

Whoever got books from me, send me the details if you feel like it and
I'll register them. 
-- 
Muli Ben-Yehuda

"The speed of light really is too slow nowdays." -- Alan Cox

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 02:09:14 +0200

Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

> [snip]
BCID 411*-*425944

That's the only one I gave. I got:

(the) Burning City, Niven and Pournelle, ISBN 0671036610
Down and Out in Paris and London, George Orwell, Hebrew translation, the 
original's ISBN is 9652860050

-- Arik