Subject: deconstruction

From: mulix <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:08:04 +0300 (IDT)

i had only the vaguest notion of what "deconstruction" meant, until i
read this:

How To Deconstruct Almost Anything
My Postmodern Adventure

by Chip Morningstar
http://catalog.com/hopkins/text/decon.html

now i see that my notion was right, but only for some values of right.
its an amusing read, and this group has been rater quiet lately.
-- 
mulix
http://www.advogato.com/person/mulix

linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:32:21 +0300

> http://catalog.com/hopkins/text/decon.html

I was so bored reading this, that I couldn't finish reading. As far as I'm
concerened, it is a deconstructionist piece on deconstruction, saying
absolutely nothing with many words. Could you please enlighten me, what is
it that they are trying to say?

<BLABBERING CLASS=OFFTOPIC STYLE="core-dump: true;">
BTW, in this mailing list we tend to drift a lot to non-computer-related
turf. I don't mind this one bit (I view mailing lists as communities, where
the people matter more than the actual subject), but some people do. So,
does anyone know where I can find other good mailing lists in Israel, about
things like philosophy (especially ethics and politics, though other things
like epistemology and ontology are also interesting, I guess), and politics
(I'm not talking about *politicians*, I'm talking about discussing issues
du-jour like freedom, human rights, war and peace (not the book ;)) and stuff
like that. Any recommendations?
</BLABBERING>

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |         Friday, Aug 24 2001, 5 Elul 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Ways to Relieve Stress #10: Make up a
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |language and ask people for directions.

---

From: Dan Kenigsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:24:02 +0300 (IDT)

Question:

Did you all get the same advertisement as me along with Nadav's message?

Because my guess is that Yahoo keeps track of the valuable fact that
I personally went to see it. (Not that I care about encryption solutions, I just
wanted to see if it says "Hello Dan" or something like that)

Anyway, are these advertisements personalized? Do you consider such
personalization impolite?

Dan.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:07:38 +0300

> Did you all get the same advertisement as me along with Nadav's message?

I got a similar, but still different, one on the message I wrote:

Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Secure corporate intranets?
 Authenticate your Web sites? Whatever
security your site needs, you'll find the perfect solution here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Bre3tC/Q56CAA/yigFAA/saFolB/TM

> personalization impolite?

They seem to be different personalized in the sense that each person gets
a different ad, but I'm not sure they are targeted in the sense that someone
who's a member of both hackers-il and linux-il will start getting ads on how
to hack into linux machines, and so on.

Still, I don't like the trend of using services like egroups (yahoo now?)
for mailing lists, sourceforge for development, and hotmail for email.
All these activities were designed to be distributed, and instead we let
a small group of companies run it all for us. Is that really necessary?
Privacy issues are only part of the problem - there are other problems
too.
I assume that half of the readership of this mailing list can host this
mailing list. I would do it (if people wanted) if people will not insist
on having a searchable archive (which I haven't yet had the time to figure
out a convenient way to do). Small mailing lists like this put a very
small load on a server, and have almost non-existant security implications.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |         Friday, Aug 24 2001, 5 Elul 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |My greatest fear is that no-one will
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |remember me after I'm dead - some dead guy

P.S. Please don't buy whatever is advertised below ;)  ||
                                                       ||
                                                       \/

---

From: Alon Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 03:14:21 +0300 (IDT)

> like that. Any recommendations?

  Try http://www.haayal.co.il/ - It's not a mailing list but rather an online
forum, but it seems to fit the needs you mentioned.

  Alon

-- 
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([email-masked]) ICQ:1366540
The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ralph's Observation:
	It is a mistake to let any mechanical object realise that you
	are in a hurry.