Subject: looking for good python book

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 22:33:54 +0200

Hi. I'm asking about python in this list because I know some good Python-
savvy people are on this list :)

I'm looking for a good book about Python. This should be a good (preferably
great) and comprehensive book, aimed at people who already know the principles
of programming (such as myself) - I'm not looking for a "Python-as-my-first-
language for dummies" type of book.

I found two books from O'Reilly which look relevant:
1. Learning Python (Help for Programmers) by Mark Lutz, David Ascher, and
   Frank Willison, April 1999
2. Programming python (2nd Edition) by Mark Lutz, March 2001

Which book is recommended (for people like me), and why? Or is there a
better, non-O'Reilly book?
Is that Mark Lutz a well-known Python figure (sorry if this is an idiotic
question ;)). Is the April 1999 book considered outdated, or is it still ok?
(I don't know how much Python has changed in the last two years).

The first one is much thinner and much cheaper than the second one, so I'm
wondering which one I should get (I'm not looking to become a master Python
programmer right now, so I'm not sure a 1300 page book is exactly what I
need).

Thanks.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |    Saturday, Sep 29 2001, 13 Tishri 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Help Wanted: Telepath. You know where to
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |apply.

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 23:04:51 +0200 (EET)

I learned, and later used (and am still using) as reference book the
following:
David M. Beazley
Python - Essential Reference (with foreword by Guido van Rossum)
Publisher:  New Riders - 201 West 103rd Street, Indianapolis, IN 46290
ISBN:  0-7357-0901-7

The book is somewhat dated, as it covers Python 1.5.2, and the current
release is 2.1.

If there is a new edition, which covers Python 2.x, then I would highly
recommend it to people, who already know other languages like Perl, and
want to master Python without reading 1000+ pages of baby talk.

> 2. Programming python (2nd Edition) by Mark Lutz, March 2001

I am not familiar with those O'Reilly books.

> (I don't know how much Python has changed in the last two years).

See above - I'd consider 1.5.x books as somewhat outdated (but
nevertheless useful).

                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  The former Cabalists were lured by the charms of
MPPL (Most Powerful Programming Language) away from the boring and mundane
business of Linux kernel hacking.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:21:56 +0200

> recommend it to people, who already know other languages like Perl, and

Thanks. There's indeed a new 2nd edition of this book, published June 7 2001,
covering (supposedly) Python 2.1. It seems relatively thin (416 pages is
relatively thin when compared to 1300 ;)) and cheap (25$ on amazon.com).

So, does anyone else share this recommendation, or do you disagree or
have a different book to recommend?

Thanks!

> business of Linux kernel hacking.

I think this sig belongs on a different mailing list ;)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |      Sunday, Sep 30 2001, 13 Tishri 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |A good programmer is someone who looks
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |both ways before crossing a one-way street.

---

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:41:14 +0200 (EET)

> relatively thin when compared to 1300 ;)) and cheap (25$ on amazon.com).

The edition, which I have, is xviii+319 pages long, of which 159 (87-245)
are devoted to Appendix A, which documents the Python library.  I suppose
that most of the extra 97 pages cover new library modules.

> have a different book to recommend?

Anyone having information about the new edition, please speak up.  I too
may want to buy it.

> > There is no IGLU Cabal.The former Cabalists were lured by the charms of
                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  Oops, wrong mailing list!
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html