Subject: New version of "The Pope"

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:06:25 +0200 (IST)

After a long time of neglect I am proud to announce a new version of "The
Pope died on Sunday":

http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/humour/Pope/

The main change is a re-factoring of a part of the story which I was not
quite happy with. I had the idea for what to put there today, and in my
very humble and biased opinion (IMVHaBO) it came out pretty well.
Hopefully, I'll spend some more time adding or modifying stuff to it.

Currently it's available only in Hebrew RTF, but I'll post an HTML version
when I have some time and access to Word 2K. I can try pull some strings
to convert it to PDF with Acrobat Distiller, but I don't know if it will
be a very scalable solution in the long run. The Technion really should
put Distiller on the computers in the undergrad NT farm.

In any case, enjoy!

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

P.S: I discovered the MS PostScript printer has some options that
determine the quality of the output. It can also print to an EPS, assuming
it's only one page. Apparently they did it so it will run faster and be
able to feed a real PS printer in real-time. But maybe that now when
computers are fast enough, it's time to re-factor it to produce fully
valid output.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:16:19 +0200

I'll probably regret making a fool of myself like this, but...

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] New version of "The Pope"":
...
>...

You seem to use the term "re-factor" in many of your posts, and am embarrassed
to say that I don't know what it means. It doesn't appear to be an English
idiom. Is it some sort of software engineering term? What does it mean,
exactly?

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Sunday, Jan 20 2002, 8 Shevat 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Unix is user friendly - it's just picky
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |about it's friends.

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:27:59 +0200 (IST)

> Hopefully, I'll spend some more time adding or modifying stuff to it.

Write it in latex or in lyx...

> put Distiller on the computers in the undergrad NT farm.

Use gsview, and 'pdfwrite'. Free, and good enough for most things.

BTW: can windows versions of abiword or openoffice produce postscript
output (not using the MS postscript driver)?

> computers are fast enough, it's time to re-factor it to produce fully

What option do you mean?

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen                        /"\
mailto:[email-masked]        \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Taub 229, 972-4-829-3942,             X   Against  HTML  Mail
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir   / \

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:28:21 +0200 (IST)

> idiom. Is it some sort of software engineering term? What does it mean,

Check:

http://www.refactoring.com/

Actually, the correct term is refactoring, but I like to add the hyphen.
(I'm a bit trigger happy when it comes to hyphens). What it means is
change the internals of a code without changing its external behaviour, so
the code would be more modular. Refactoring is also part of the Extreme
Programming paradigm.

I extrapolated it to other areas, like writing, because I think it's
basically the same thing, even if it does not concerns a software project.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>