Subject: how to get e-mail address in smtp header on tcp packet

From: "praveenjohri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 16:49:07 +0530

hi ,

i have struck with a problem how to find an e-mail adress in a tcp paket

i am making a packet tapping device which have a function to tap the tcp connection

or the packets containing a perticular e-mail adddess supplied by the user.

my problem is i dont know how the smtp is carried on tcp and where the e-mail add.

lies in packet.

is it so that e-mail address is always at aperticular offset in the packet 

in that    case searching will be easier.

is is possible that if i capture all packets comming/going from tcp port23

and search for a perticular string in tcp data to get the address......but if it is 

possible then also it will be a time consuming process consuming my cpu and

obstructing the packet capturing engine to do its work and will also be consuming a large amount of memory also.

hey guys show me our intelligence and give me some good information and suggestion

right now i amtrying to read the rfc 821 and 822 to get some info......

its urgent man!!!!!! help me

with regards 

praveen johri

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at  http://email.indiatimes.com
Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from http://www.planetm.co.in

---

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 May 2002 15:15:20 +0300

> hey guys show me our intelligence and give me some good information and suggestion

"*our* intelligence"? indeed...

> its urgent man!!!!!! help me

Since you have so little respect for our time and effort that you ask
for help BEFORE reading the RFCs pretaining to the subject, combined
with the fact that the question itself illustrates that this mental
sloppiness is a repeating offense and not a one time glitch, then the
best advice I can possibly provide you with is...

                ###                                            ##
                ###                                            ##
                ###                                            ##
                #################################################
                #################################################
                #################################################
                #################################################
                ###                      ####                  ##
                ###                   #######                  ##
                ###                 #########                  ##
                                 ############                  ##
                              ###############                  ##
                           ##################                  ##
                ###     ################   ###                ###
                ###  ################      ###               ####
                ##################         ####              ### 
                ###############            #####           ##### 
                ############                #######      #######
                ##########                   ################## 
                #######                       ################ 
                #####                          ############# 
                ###                               ########
                ###
                   
                                                       ##########
                                                       ##########
                                                       ##########
                                                            #####
                                                              ###
                                                               ##
                                                               ##
                ###                                            ##
                ###                                            ##
                ###                                            ##
                #################################################
                #################################################
                #################################################
                #################################################
                ###                                            ##
                ###                                            ##
                                                               ##
                                                               ##
                                                               ##
                                                              ###
                                                            #####
                                                       ##########
                                                       ##########
                                                                 
                ###                                            ##
                ###                                            ##
                ###                                            ##
                #################################################
                #################################################
                #################################################
                #################################################
                ###                        ##                  ##
                ###                        ##                  ##
                ###                        ##                  ##
                                           ##                  ##
                                           ##                  ##
                                           ##                  ##
                                           ##                  ##
                                         ######                ##
                                       ##########              ##
                                       ##########              ##
                                                               ##
                                                              ###
                                                             ####
                                                           ######
                                                       ##########
                                                       ##########
                ###                                            ##
                ###                                            ##
                ###                                            ##
                #################################################
                #################################################
                ###                                 #############
                ###                            ##################
                                         ########################
                                   ##########################
                                ########################## 
                           ######################### 
                     ##########################
                ######################### 
                      ############# 
                            ########## 
                                  ###########
                                         ##########
                ###                            ##########
                ###                               ##########
                ###                                      ########
                #################################################
                #################################################
                #################################################
                #################################################
                ###                                            ##
                ###                                            ##
                                                                 
                   ###                          ########## 
                 ######                 #####################
                ########     ###################################
                ########     ###################################
                 ######                 #####################

I hope the letters were big and the message clear enough so that even
someone with such an acute phobia from mental work as yourself would
udnerstand.

Cheers,
Gilad.

-- 
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
Code mangler, senior coffee drinker and VP SIGSEGV
Qlusters ltd.

"To err is human. To realy fsck up you need a computer. For
 those really large scale disastears, an SSI cluster is a must."

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 15:24:51 +0300 (IDT)

hint: Worng list

[It seems that clarification messages in private mail did not do the job]

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

---

From: Dan Nanciu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 10:23:16 -0700 (PDT)

I need a Linux system.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 23:13:46 +0300

> I need a Linux system.

Do we now have a "May Fool's Month", modeled after "April Fool's Day", but
much longer and even more annoying?

Why is everybody on this list suddenly asking stupid and irrelevant questions?
In this case, it wasn't even a question! How is anybody supposed to answer
or discuss such a statement?? (this is not a rhetorical question, I would
appreciate an answer)

[email-masked] (Dan, if that's your real name. The only thing I can
verify is that you sent your message via some obscure Romanian ISP,
supposedly part of KPNQwest), what did you try to achieve with this message?
You have been a subscriber of this list for almost a year now. Does your
"I need a Linux system" plea strike you even remotely relevant to our
discussions in the last year? Did you really think that people would
understand what it was exactly that you wanted to ask?

Who is failing to meet the low standards they set themselves?
Which of you is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot?
Who is more the missing link than the weakest link?
You ARE the Weakest Link... Goodbye!

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |        Monday, May 13 2002, 3 Sivan 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If you lost your left arm, your right arm
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |would be left.