Subject: You know you've been hacking Perl too long when...

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:09:42 +0200 (IST)

You know you've been hacking perl too long when you cannot find what's
wrong with the following statement:

my @result = sort { $_->{'state'} cmp $_->{'state'} } @input;

In a Perl script I wrote to analyze the dump made by a C program I wrote,
it took me a long time to trace this bug. One should note that due to
their use as utilities the variables $_, $a, $b (which are regular
variables proper) are always defined by default.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

There is no IGLU Cabal! They got too much used to the Interactive
Ligthweight Utility Generation (ILUG) language and so found it hard to
adapt to the newer and better Ineffective Glue for Lethargic Users (or
IGLU for short).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"