Subject: Winston Churchill's Biography Recommendation

From: mulix <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:26:33 +0200 (IST)

I've become a bit of a history buff lately, focusing on the WWII era,
(probably due to the Band of Brothers TV show [1]) and I'm looking for a
biography of Winston Churchill. I knoe his role in leading england
in WWII, but I do not know anything else about him. Can anyone recommend
one, perchance?

[1] The TV show is good, but the book is even better. I bought it from
the net, but it's available in local book stores as well. Highly
recommended, I wonder how it will compare to the other one [2].

[2] Reading Heinlein's Starship Troopers now, but next on the heap is
The Longest Day, Cornelius Ryan's epic on D-Day.
-- 
mulix

http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~mulix/
http://syscalltrack.sf.net/

---

From: guy keren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:04:23 +0200 (EET)

> in WWII, but I do not know anything else about him. Can anyone recommend

not a book - a radio show. every friday, at 19:00, on galey-tzahal, alex
ansky and prof. michael har-segor take some issue in history and discuss
it. they are now having a lot of re-runs, and last week they had a re-run
of their show about... winston churchill ;)  perhaps you can find info
about it on galei tzahal's web site?

by the way, churchill was a historion, and a reporter, before becoming a
politician. but that's not what made him what he was, as i gather.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,
 or dial 0, and please hold, for the creator." -- nob o. dy

---

From: mulix <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:08:04 +0200 (IST)

> not a book - a radio show. every friday, at 19:00, on galey-tzahal, alex

friday, 1900? what kind of god foresaken hour is that? :)
could you please have them move it into the early morning? 2300-0400 are
my preferred hackign hours, provided there's no need to wake up early on
the next day.

> about it on galei tzahal's web site?

i'll take a look, thanks.

> politician. but that's not what made him what he was, as i gather.

i find his character interesting, and the fact that i know absolutely
nothing about what he did either before or after WWII makes it even more
intriguing.
-- 
mulix

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:17:13 +0200

> nothing about what he did either before or after WWII makes it even more

Maybe you should start by opening an encyclopedia, and looking for "Churchill"
:)
Or just google: I found
http://www.warmuseum.net/hallofworldwarii/SIRWINSTONCHURCHILL.ORG/

With a nice, short, introduction to Churchill's life. Apparently he was in
politics since 1900. Did you know he got the Nobel prize in *literature* in
1955?

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Sunday, Dec 30 2001, 15 Tevet 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The road to good intentions is paved with
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |hell.

---

From: mulix <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:26:49 +0200 (IST)

> politics since 1900. Did you know he got the Nobel prize in *literature* in

didn't i just say i know nothing at all about him (except WWII era)? :)

curious, that i never considered google (nor am i the only
onem consider http://nat.org/king-williams-college-quiz.txt [1]). For
some things, a dead tree format is Simply Better(tm).

[1] ran accross it through the diary of alan cox's wife, telsa at
http://www.linux.org.uk/~telsa/Diary/diary.html [2]

[2] Alan Cox's diary is at http://www.linux.org.uk/diary/

Both make fascinating, if somewhat voyeuristic, reading.
-- 
mulix

---

From: "Orna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:02:37 +0200

there is a series of bigraphies , trnslated to hebrew, which are excellent.
the only link i can give you is my local library, but that serious includes
Churchill, Mark twain, the Wright (am i spelling right?) brothers, and ,
most surprisingly, the Manhatten project. (this, at least, is what they had
at my library).

and the cutest detail i remeber about Churchill, is that when he needed to
graduate from uni or something, he was totally unprepared, and he had 37
maps to know of by heart, out of which one was supposed to be in the
test.("mapa ilemet"). he drew lots, studied one of the maps the evening
before, and this  happened to be the one in the test.
----- Original Message -----
From: "mulix" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2001 9:26 AM
Subject: [hackers-il] Winston Churchill's Biography Recommendation

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>
>