Subject: Scheme48 -- Correction

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 23:24:52 +0300 (IDT)

I recently claimed Scheme48 is not free software. This was true for an
earlier version, but is happily no longer true -- it is now released under
an X style licence. I'm thinking of building my Scheme virtual machine on
the Scheme48 basis, but I'm not sure -- I've only began to look at their
code.

Question: how would you design a network-oriented (like X) window system
in a Scheme-based OS?

Question: should a Scheme module-system support macros, or should they
remain super-modular? I'm opting for a super-moduler approach, but then,
I'm a New Jersey kind of guy.

--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html
http://www.linux.org.il -- we put the penguin in .com

---

From: Omer Mussaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:02:24 +0300

A story:

One day a guy decided to join our list. However, he did a small

mistake, and decided to use handle instead of name. While there is

nothing harmful in using handles, it is lame. In case the guy thought

that using a handle will help to keep his privacy, I think that I should

disclose the fact that:

I know his real name

I know his Linux distribution

I know his kernel version

I know more thingss about him.

So, using handles does not help much. I urge all of hackers-il not to use

handles. It is meaningles, rude and lame.

--
Omer Mussaev    051-308-214   mailto:[email-masked]
systems programmer, Mercury Interactive/RND/Conduct/core

---

From: Evgeny Zemlerub <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:56:21 +0300

Well.....

Being this "guy" let me first of all introduce myself :
    Evgeny Zemlerub.
    Mandrake 7.1b1
    Linux oblom 2.2.15-0.25mdk #1 Mon Apr 24 03:00:34 PDT 2000 i686 unknown
    About rest of things, i'll be interested to hear myself (people usually
    tend to tell that they know much more things about me, then I do by
myself)

The reason that I didn't use my real name when I signed-up
with Egroups it's...well.... kindof privacy. I don't like the
idea of database where my email and my name resides one next
to each other. While when I post something to the list is always
done under my real name.

Regards,
    Evgeny

PS. What's so lame in trying to keep my privacy ? In this case I just used
handle. If I wanted I could use handle (Moshe Kugel for example) + some
[email-masked]. Could you still find same things in this case ?
Or was it raising your suspition (what problems do you have with Ivan
Susanin
anyway ? It's normal russian name)?

Omer Mussaev wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for trying @Backup
> Get automatic protection and access to your important computer files.
> Install today:
> http://click.egroups.com/1/2344/9/_/_/_/958550840/
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]

---

From: Omer Mussaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:09:44 +0300

> to each other. While when I post something to the list is always

All right, man. You got the clue.

> anyway ? It's normal russian name)?

Privacy is ok. What _is_ lame is the fact that some people belive that using
handle will provide them with such. Well, as you could see, I knew your name,
linux version, kernel version and other info, on which you will be informed
privately. Ask Chen:)

For Ivan Susanin... the name is ok, but, IIRC history lessons, back in 1813
there
was a farmer who just hacked the French army? Well, knowing is a good thing.

For the rest of list: behave, pls.