Subject: Ingo Molnar on Re-inventing the Wheel

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:22:55 +0200 (IST)

Check:

http://kerneltrap.org/node.php?id=517

for an interview with Ingo Molnar. I quote:

<<<
JA: Did you base the design on any existing scheduler implementations or
research papers?

Ingo Molnar: this might sound a bit arrogant, but i have only read (most
of the) research papers after writing the scheduler. This i found to be a
good approach in the area of Linux - knowing about too many
well-researched details can often confuse the real direction we have to
take. I like writing new code, and i prefer to approach things from the
physics side: take a few elementary rules and build up the 'one correct'
solution, no compromises. This might not be as effective as first reading
all the available material and then cherry-picking a few ideas and
thinking up the remaining things, but it sure gives me lots of fun :-)

I actually suspected Molnar was a bit of a book worm before I read the
interview. Maybe he still is more than the average hacker.

I thought it may interest you since re-inventing the wheel (good or bad)
is a recurring theme here on Hackers-IL.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/

My opinions may seem crazy, but they all make sense. Insane sense, but
sense nonetheless.