Subject: We've been LWNed!

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 12:34:24 +0300 (EEST)

Check:

http://lwn.net/2001/0816/letters.php3

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
what went wrong more quickly.

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Aug 2001 10:15:52 +0300

> http://lwn.net/2001/0816/letters.php3

May I raise a procedural point here?

Shlomi, you have posted quite a few messages to hackers-il about DeCSS
for JavaScript, and your efforts are appreciated and
commendable. However, I do not recall any discussion regarding any
other association between this program and hackers-il, or that
hackers-il somehow officially endorse the program or have an agreed
upon opinion on DeCSS and the surrounding controversy. This was simply
not discussed here (and I have just had a quick look at the archives
to check that - if I am wrong, I apologize).

The point is, it's your creation, and it was you who posted to LWN,
and I do not quite understand why the posting was on behalf of
hackers-il. I think one should be careful with "implicating" a whole
group of people. DeCSS is controversial enough, and the word "hacker"
doesn't sound innocent to the general public in the context. In the
future, there might be even mirkier and more controversial issues.

Actually, both you yourself and Chen have commented on possible
adverse implications of this list's association with DeCSS.

Don't get me wrong, I have a tendency to being a bit "in your face"
myself, but I try to be very careful when others are involved.

No, there is no need to retract your posting to LWN as far as I am
concerned.
 
-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked] 
"If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Aug 2001 10:31:15 +0300

> adverse implications of this list's association with DeCSS.

To pour some more gasoline on this fire, this is just (Friday) off /.

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/08/17/207208&mode=thread

And as for Chen's earlier remark about Yahoo! trading Nazi
memorabilia, IANAL, but 

1) I believe trading Nazi memorabilia online is actually quite legal
   in the US, while violating DMCA isn't.

2) Technically, a lawsuit can be brought against hackers-il and/or
   its members, with consequences for those who set foot on American 
   soil. Yes, it's remote to put it mildly, but stranger things have
   happened. Is the case of Dmitry Sklyarov an exception or the rule?

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 14:37:43 +0300 (EEST)

> future, there might be even mirkier and more controversial issues.

Well, the DeCSS powering HTML specifically sais that only me and Chen
Shapira (to a lesser extent) were responsible for doing this hack. If
anybody asks me whether the rest of you are responsible for it, I will
deny it. However, the reason I wanted to publicize it as an official hack
of hackers-il was to get us some publicity.

> adverse implications of this list's association with DeCSS.

Actually our archives already contain links to the DeCSS source code. ;-)
So, it's too late, I guess.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Sep 2001 11:00:41 +0300

This number ios plainly illegal (in some places, at least):

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/21591.html
http://asdf.org/~fatphil/maths/#Smallest