Subject: How to 0wn the Internet in Your Spare Time

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 01:17:37 +0300

Yes, I know, we're hackers, not crackers... But still, there's an
interesting article by Vern Paxson (this guy was, among other things,
responsible for writing flex and winning the 19992 IOCCC) in

	http://www.icir.org/vern/papers/cdc-usenix-sec02/index.html

(to appear in 11th USENIX Security Symposium).

It discusses how Internet worms spread, gives examples (code red, etc.),
discusses how worms could potentially spread in incredible speeds unseen
till now (most of the vulnerable servers on the Internet being infacted in
tens of seconds(!!)), and on the other hand, slow stealthy worms that could
subvert as much as 10 million hosts, and other interesting (frightening,
actually) tricks, like updating and controlling worms without being detected.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Saturday, May 25 2002, 14 Sivan 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The two most common elements in the
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 May 2002 21:43:16 +0300

> responsible for writing flex and winning the 19992 IOCCC) in

Vern Paxson is also one of the most serious network researches,
Chairman of the IRTF (Internet Research Task Force), a prolific
author (http://www.icir.org/vern/papers.html) and quite an
entertaining speaker.

Thanks for the pointer, Nadav.

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked] 
If it aint't broken it hasn't got enough features yet.