Subject: RE: [hackers-il] RFC: standard SQL syntax for querying database i nformation

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:54:20 +0200

>
> I'd like to call this initiative "Extended-SQL" or "X-SQL" for short.
> 
> Now, that I am more decisive, what does everybody feel about it?

I'm pessimistic about these kinds of groups.
A working group of this kind would have a chance to succeed  when/if we'll
have representetives of all the big DB vendors
(Oracle,MS,IBM,Borland,Informix).
A standard that is supported by MySQL and PostGres isn't much of an
improvement, the whole point of a standard is to have support by *every
one*.
I'm also pessimistic about standards.

Anyway, if you form such group please invite Mr. Reuven Lerner. He has wide
Database knowledge, and perhaps even enough connections to help this
grassroots group grow (Article on Linux Journal can help). Perhaps you can
also contact Moshe Bar, although he works mostly with Oracle, and mainframe
DB's (SAP,BAAN,ERP). 

If you have the spare time to invest in this initiative - Yishar Koach!