Subject: Anti-Virus for Linux mail gateway

From: "Arik Baratz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:42:15 +0200

Did you have any experience with <subject>?

Which is the best anti-virus?

How does amavis (www.amavis.org) par?

Arik Baratz
System Engineer

Office:
13 Hasadna St.		Tel:   +972 (9) 743-9250 ext. 114
Raa'nana 43661		Fax:   +972 (9) 743-9251
ISRAEL

This email may contain confidential information. You may not deliver this message to anyone without my consent.

If this message is not intended for you, Please destroy this message and kindly notify me by replying this mail.

Anything in this message that do not relate to the official business of Vidius is my own responsibility.

********************************************************
This email has been scanned by Port Authority.

********************************************************

---

From: "Shtirlitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:17:52 +0400

>Did you have any experience with <subject>?
i do not have any.
My knowledge of viruses is limited to DOS based viruses.

 >Which is the best anti-virus?
Look at this one www.kaspersky.com
This is a best anti-virus I know.

 >How does amavis (www.amavis.org) par?
I have never used it before. It's drawback is that it is a new one.
It's database is not big enouph. People do not work for money doing database for it.

shtirlitz

______________________________________________________________________
Free Mail Service >>> http://www.Mail2K.Ru >>>

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 04:20:32 +0300 (IDT)

> It's database is not big enouph. People do not work for money doing

You are confusing two things, I believe.

amavis is a generic mail virus scanner framework. The rational there is
(at least the way I see it): "it is hard to produce a virus scanner and
keep it up-to-date. But OTOH, if I have a commercial closed-source
scanner, I want it to do the least as possible, and have the rest done by
code that I trust.

There is something called "openantivirus" (have a look at
http://openantivirus.org/ , the site has quite a few useful resources
besides this project) to produce an completely free virus scanner. OAV is
written in java (yuck!). In that site yo'll also find links to a virus
scanner written in C that uses OAV's data files.

I'm not involved there, and I still woulndn't trust my mail site with
those scanners. But amavis is doing a good job here. Note that there are a
number of "amavis"-s: amavis-perl, amavisd and amavis-ng . I'm still using
amavis-perl (I installed it about a year ago, and it works, so I don'
touch it).

I generally don't like "mail scanners" that function as an smtp gateway. I
think that qmail/postfix are better at this, and are certainly more
mature. And I simply can't trust a service that my system serves to the
internet to a totally closed-source program.

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir