Subject: [META] Moderation proposal

From: Gaal Yahas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 10:21:07 +0300

Hey,

I dislike the notion of putting others through an ordeal before they
can join. I'd rather we cook up some way of keeping the list
interesting for everybody who's already here, and this is my "offer":

1. Absolutely no junk on the list.
2. Junk includes technical foolery in messages[1], messages without
   hackery in them, *and messages saying another message is junk*.[2]

What to do with a "moderational problem":

1. Never, ever deal with it on-list. Try to ignore it.
2. If the problem annoys you enough that you can't ignore it, try to
   deal with it directly with the person who caused it. You can assume
   that if it was very annoying, they will get many annoyed responses,
   and maybe change their ways.
3. If you *must* discuss a moderation issue on-list, wipe off any
   personal alcertations from it, write it up, and prefix [META] to
   your email title.

Can we use this?

[1] Jeporady-style or overly long quotes, HTML mail, non-readable
    attachments, long signatures.

[2] I'm sick and tired of what's going on in linux-il. One poor person
    makes one tiny error in protocol, and gets flamed on-list by at
    least three others, and the ACK storm that ensues takes a week to
    die out. Hell, people, do you think that kinda traffic interests
    anybody?

-- 
believing is seeing
[email-masked]
http://www.forum2.org/gaal/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 10:32:20 +0300

>     die out. Hell, people, do you think that kinda traffic interests

Another way that hackers-il can contribute to society:
Someone asked a particulary silly questin on our favorite lug? you just thought
of the most biting sarcasm as a wity reply? throw it here so we can laugh about
the luser in private, without rightous lug-keepers telling us not to scare the
newbies. :-)

--
Chen Shapira	Web Developer and Linux Activist
The algorithm for finding the longest path in a graph is NP-complete.
For you systems people, that means it's *real slow*.

---

From: Omer Mussaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 13:34:27 +0300

>    personal alcertations from it, write it up, and prefix [META] to

4. Just to make sure nobody will get hurt personnaly, I would like to
have an ultimate flamer available. I saw that one in Xemacs (jwz rulz),
implemented a kind of that for one web-based discussion forum and now
I see it on forum2. May we set up a tradition of triggering that
ultimate flaming bot on litter bugs?

>     die out. Hell, people, do you think that kinda traffic interests

I think that it would be honest to put [RBA] prefix in subject. and
the idea of "worst real world user experience" contest sounds nice to me.

anyway, listen to war story:

One day, when I was employed as admin at BGU, one luser entered the lab
and asked following question:

- I can not open a file. What should I do?

chmod, u have no permission, was the quick answer.

- What do you mean permission? It is my computer, I bought it and I can not

open a file. help me!

I recursed. He recursed as well. Race condition. how nice (tm).

Then one of windows admins out there got the bulb on:

- you probably try to click an icon and nothing happens? That your problem?

- Yes, I got the file from university, and I can not open it. Exactly!

- so, what kind of file is it?

- <turning red>: It is my computer, and I got the file from universirty,
and *I HAVE A RIGHT TO TAKE A FILE HOME FROM UNIVERSITY, I CHECKED IT*.

rofl-rofl. recurse.

--
Omer Mussaev    051-308-214   mailto:[email-masked]
systems programmer, Mercury Interactive/RND/Conduct/core

---

From: Gaal Yahas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 15:05:06 +0300

> ultimate flaming bot on litter bugs?

Oh, I assure you that PEST was developed completely independently
of jwz. And the inspiration for it didn't come from jwz, either.