Subject: Optimism

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:07:22 +0200

All programmers are optimists. Perhaps this modern sorcery especially
attracts those who believe in happy endings and fairy godmothers. Perhaps
the hundreds of nitty frustrations drive away all but those who habitually
focus on the end goal. Perhaps it is merely that computers are young,
programmers are younger, and the young are always optimists. But however the
selection process works, the result is indisputable: "This time it will
surely run," or "I just found the last bug.

--
Chen Shapira

---

From: Gaal Yahas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:08:35 +0300

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 02:07:22PM +0200, Chen Shapira wrote:
> All programmers are optimists.

Yes, Fred Brooks had a point in _Mythical Man Month_ :-)

Which reminds me, everybody outta read the Tao of Programming.
(Hasn't everyone already?)

http://synergy.foo.net/~john/computer/tao.html

And yes, I do usually say Dao rather than Tao, thank you.

-- 
believing is seeing
[email-masked]
http://www.forum2.org/gaal/

---

From: mulix <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:21:40 +0300

Funny you should mention both of these books in the same post- In
regards to the 'classic books' thread of awhile ago, here's a list you
might find interesting:
http://www.softpanorama.org/Bookshelf/classic.shtml

-- 
mulix

linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead