Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Intelectual Property laws in Israel

From: "Arik Baratz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 21:51:39 +0200

Copy rights --> the right to copy. "Zhuyot Ha'ataka". Which does not mean that you can copy, it means that there are certain copying rights and they belong to someone.

Disclaimers: IANAL, AFAIK, IMHO

-- Arik

-----Original Message-----
From: Nadav Har'El [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 8:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [hackers-il] Intelectual Property laws in Israel

On Wed, May 01, 2002, Chen Shapira wrote about "[hackers-il] Intelectual Property laws in Israel":
> BTW. Did you notice that in Hebrew "copyright" translate as "Producers
> Rights"? (Zkhuyot Yotzrim) Interesting shift of focus, don't you think?

But watch out: a "Producer" in English is not "Yozer", even though
"Produce" is "Tozeret" and "Product" is "Muzar".

Rather, A producer in English is the "Mafik", someone who manages the
creation (financially, administratively) but not the artist responsible
for the actual creation>. The "Yozer", is the artist (also called "author"
in some domains of creation). So "Zchuyot Yozrim" is probably better
translated as "Artist's Rights", which is indeed what copyright law was
originally aimed at achieving.

In any case, I don't think Zchuyot Yotzrim was ever meant to be exactly
the same term as copyright. Hebrew books usually write "copyright" (or
rather, the C in the circle), as well as "All rights reserved" - I never
seen any book refer to the term "Zchuyot Yozrim".

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Wednesday, May 1 2002, 20 Iyyar 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Having a smoking section in a restaurant
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |is like having a peeing section in a pool

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

*
 *******************************************************
This email has been scanned by Port Authority.

********************************************************

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 21:57:04 +0300

> Disclaimers: IANAL, AFAIK, IMHO

Yes. "Copyright" is usually followed by the name of a person or a company,
and a phrase like "All Rights Reserved". It means the right to copy is
reserved to the author - certainly not that you (the reader/viewer/listener/
whatever) have this right (unless you're explicitly told that).

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Wednesday, May 1 2002, 20 Iyyar 5762
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |this bull before.