Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Bash Lecture Summary (Revision 4)

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:01:57 +0200

> > Why, does Nautilus actually allow people to have filenames 
> that occupy
> > more than a one line?
> 
> I think so.
> Otherwise, it will.

How do you define "line"? 80 chars? I think UNIX does have a maximum file
name length, somewhere around 256, no?

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:15:57 +0200 (IST)

> name length, somewhere around 256, no?

I (and the rest of the world) define a line as "something that ends with
a newline". I can get more complicated, but in the simple case of strings
(which is what filenames are), I think we can stick with that definition.
(e.g., if we were talking about file contents, I'd say that a line is
what you read if you open it in text mode and call fgets, as the
buffer length goes to infinity. That's on a system that supports ANSI C,
anyway. I'm not sure how I'd define it on a Fortranish EBCDIC system --
there you might find the 80 chars definition holds, for some random
value of "holds" and for arbitrary values of 80)
--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez