Subject: Re: Your email

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:25:13 +0200

Dear Mr. Pinko,

Thank you for forwarding the complaint email to me.

Nati Pinko wrote:

> Here is the complain we got. Please get back to me after removing it, so I
> can and this issue.

I have read and re-read the provided document times and times again and
yet I failed to find 
any reason for your demand to remove said files.

The complaint you received from the MPAA states clearly that the offense
they find with the files provided on my web site is that they are in
violation of an *American* law, known as the DMCA and a NY court
resolution. They *do not* claim to have any ownership, copyright or any
other right of any nature of said files themselves. Since I am not an
American citizen, nor are the files stored on American ground, nor am I
aware of any applicable Israeli law forbidding the distribution of these
files, I fail to see what grounds do you have to demand these files be
taken off from my site. It is possible that distributing these files in
the US is illegal - I do not know as I am not a lawyer. However, as far
as my knowledge goes there is nothing unlawful or illegal about this
files in the state of Israel and they if fact might be protected under
the right for free speech and Israeli laws.

To make things clear beyond any doubt I will state that as far as I am
aware I provide these files in a lawful manner and, as far as I know, in
full compliance with Israeli and International law and I am doing so as
a service to the general public.

Having said that, and without surrendering any claims I've made
previously or rights I have, I am willing as a token of my good faith to
remove the files in question from the public server for a *limited
period* of time for the purpose of providing you sufficient time to
enlighten me as to any applicable Israeli or International law I might
be breaking without my knowing.

Please feel free to forward my contact information and email (as are
published in my public web site) to any third party (such as the MPAA)
who may wish to further contact me in this matter.

As you no doubt noticed I have CCed this email to a group of fellow
people who are concerned with the rights of computer users in Israel. I
hope you don't mind. Of this group I would kindly ask to not include Mr.
Pinko in whatever discussion that might form as a result of this email.

I am awaiting your response in this matter.

Sincerely, 
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]>

-- 
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[email-masked]> 
http://benyossef.com :: +972(54)756701
"every day, computers are making people easier to use"