Subject: RF Opinions: "Code Complete" and "The Pragmatic Programmer"

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:55:15 +0300 (IDT)

I was browsing throught the "Joel on Software" recommended book list[1]
and saw these titles:

1. "Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction" by Steve
C. McConnell

2.  "The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master" by
Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

They both sound interesting but I would like an opinion on them from
someone other than Joel first. Can anybody comment on their quality or
usefulness for a relatively experienced programmer?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jun 2002 09:38:59 +0300

> 1. "Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction" by Steve

I read it years ago, and thought it was good. I don't know if my
opinion would be different now. I am also not sure whether experienced
software engineers will find the book very illuminating. Also, keep in
mind that the book came out in 1993.

Do keep a pack of salt close by while you read it. For instance, IIRC
the guy pushes the Hungarian naming convention [shudder].

I don't browse Joel's reading list. Instead, I grew into a habit of
checking ACCU book reviews,

    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm

for informed opinions. Both "Code Complete" and "Pragmatic Programmer"
have glowing reviews from Francis Glassborough there:

    http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0sb_writing_solid_code&file=c001914a

    http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0sb_writing_solid_code&file=p002132a

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked] 
"A sense of the fundamental decencies is parceled out unequally at birth."

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:33:44 +0300 (IDT)

>     http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm

Spolsky's reading list is very short and contains only about 12 books
which he thinks is a must for any programmer. In any case, the ACCU book
reviews has some very important titles that are missing. ("Programming
Perl", the Dragon Book, etc) Amazon carries many book reviews by its
readers, though.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

---

From: Arik Baratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:55:17 +0200

>Perl", the Dragon Book, etc) Amazon carries many book reviews by its
Are you sure that the Dragon Book is suitable for any programmer? The 
books "Code Complete" and "The Pragmatic Programmer" insinuate a less 
theoretical theme.

-- Arik

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jun 2002 19:53:01 +0300

Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]> writes:

> In any case, the ACCU book reviews has some very important titles
> that are missing. ("Programming Perl", the Dragon Book, etc)

They are probably not in the same category as "Code Complete" though.
These titles are very different, and I doubt they are important for
"any programmer" (not everybody writes Perl). IIRC, "Code Complete"
and "Practical Programmer" are in the "Writing Solid Code" category,
named after yet another good book from Microsoft Press.

> Amazon carries many book reviews by its readers, though.

You don't always know who they are and what weight to assign to their
reviews.

---

From: guy keren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:37:15 +0300 (EET DST)

> 1. "Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction" by Steve

a 2nd-hand opinion (of a co-worker who i trust on such matters) - very
good book. however, such books are less and less relevant as you get
_good_ experience (i know some people who don't learn even after years of
writing code). in your case - i don't know how relevant it is. just pick
it up, skim through it, and see if it shows you anything new.

-- 
guy

"For world domination - press 1,
 or dial 0, and please hold, for the creator." -- nob o. dy