Subject: RE: [hackers-il] Plan9

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:00:53 +0200

> I'll be installing a 10-machine MOSIX+Beowulf cluster next 
> month (after
> the exams) and be a smarter man, I'll give you more details if I
> discover any.

What do you mean by MOSIX+Beowulf? how do you combine them? and why?

---

From: Ira Abramov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:21:07 +0300 (IDT)

> What do you mean by MOSIX+Beowulf? how do you combine them? and why?

easy. PVM and MPI are all program-level technologies, as simple as
adding a library and working with its API almost (not going into the
actual design of the software to work well in a distributed manner :-)

MOSIX is a set of KERNEL level patches that the processes use
transparently. a process forks and doesn't know (or care) where the
child is actually running. in theory there should not be a problem
combining the two for different uses and applications. in practice I
have no idea if anyone tried it, but according to Prof. Barak they don't
bother eachother (other than maybe the network load)

I think it's time we invited him to a talk at IGLU maybe, but instead of
getting his boring regular ramble, send a sheet of specific questions in
advance :)

will-install-super-computers-for-cash'ly yours, Ira.

-- 
Ira Abramov   (@-  Gnu/Linux, Free Speech, RFC 1855
whois: IA58   //\  Peace,  Love,  Music,  Slow Food
www.scso.com  v_/_ Citroens, Camels, Penguins, Cats