Subject: RE: [hackers-il] A Perl one-liner explained [was RE: You know you 've been hacking Perl too long when. ..]

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:18:41 +0200

> Naturally, I'm not going to list all computer languages here. But the
> conclusion is clear: we should use strictly ANSI C from now on.

Oh no!
Usually languages don't matter that much, and some ideas are better
expressed in their native language (like you mentioned about design
patterns).

I say that multi-lingualism should be encourged.

Once apon the time, we suggested a series of lectures about obscure
programming languages. 
Perhaps we should do that.
Or at least a page of "What is my favorite language(s), why, and how you can
learn them too!"

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:44:44 +0200 (IST)

> expressed in their native language (like you mentioned about design

It was a joke. Sorry for not inculding a smiley. But it was part of me
moaning that people had a hard time understanding perl code too.

> Perhaps we should do that.

I'd like to give a lecture about Haskell to Haifux one day, but I have
other my lectures in the "I want to prepare them" queue, so I don't know
how much time I can dedicate to it. But like I said, experiencing is
usually superior to hearing lectures. So a better way is for everybody
individually to download hugs, read the "Gentle Intro to Haskell"[1] and
start experimenting with it.

> Or at least a page of "What is my favorite language(s), why, and how you can

I can start a list or directory of languages that the Hackers-ILers know
with links to central resources, etc. My three most favourite languages
are Perl, Haskell and Matlab, and I have a love/hate relationship with
C/C++. Each one of them is good for something and at many times
practically horrid for others.

I can use a backend similar to the lists of mailing lists, but I guess
I'll have to write a lot of new code. Now we have to decide what we need
for every language we are going to have:

1. A description of it (is it functional, inherently OO, lazy,
dynamic/static/strong/etc., lexically scoped, etc.)

2. People's opinions on it.

3. Highlights.

4. Links to homepages or resources about it (a Yahoo sub-dir, a Google
Directory Sub-Dir, Google Searches, )

5. Books about it.

6. Mailing lists.

7. Contact Persons in Hackers-IL.

Anything else? Hopefully that way we can eventually form a larger gcd.

[1] - Googlize it.

>
>
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"