Subject: packers and mappers

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Nov 2002 15:01:44 +0200

A friend of mine pointed me to a site mentioned somewhere in
yesterday's /. thread "Has Software Development Improved."

http://www.reciprocality.org/Reciprocality/r0/

an interesting read, probably partly because some of my own ideas seem
to be in line with its general flow, and also because I think I have
encountered quite a few packer/mapper patterns in my own work.

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked]

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 14:35:54 +0200 (IST)

> encountered quite a few packer/mapper patterns in my own work.

Oleg, it's a very interesting link, but obviously a very long text. Maybe
I'll skim through it. If this document can indeed turn mundane programmers
into _great_ software engineers, then this is a truly priceless document.

I found that the Neo-Tech literature[1] had a mind-expanding effect on me,
similar to what these guys are trying to achieve.

I really like the rebuttal of the standard misconception that programmers
with more experience, an academic degree (or several such), etc. are
necessarily better than those without it. I have encountered a very
experienced programmer who did not know what to do with a char * * and
converted it into a global variable. And then there are high-school
graduates with no official education who can beat the hell out of many
B.Sc. students with 5 years of experience.

Some people will become better programmers in 1 year, than many would in
10 years.

I think you can't really tell how good an employee would be until you hire
him and see his work. Maybe workplaces are too afraid of the time and
effort spent at employing him or her for a brief period that they are
looking for ways to make sure he has a greater chance of writing good
code. I.e: they want to make sure they have a good programmer on their
hands, rather than go through several until they found a great one.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

[1] - http://www.neo-tech.com/advantages/ and other lesser resources on
the Neo-Tech site.

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
"Wait a second - is n a natural number?"