Subject: Re: OO no... here we gOO again...

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:17:23 +0300 (IDT)

On 26 Jul 2000, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

> SICP is excellent, more for general understanding of computing, but
> you can learn scheme from it, no doubt.  For questions like this, I
> would also recommend "On Lisp" by Paul Graham.
> 
> In Graham's language, lisp (or scheme) is a tool for buyilding
> languages. If one thinks along these lines, the idea of a "language
> construct" being no different from any other object does not seem
> strange. As for practical meaning of all those "theoretical" ideas
> such as "functions as first-class objects" etc

You could also see common Schemish constructs such as

(map (lambda (x y) (+ x y)) '(1 2 3) '(4 5 6))

As a "practical meaning" of all those theoretical ideas.
IOW, working with functions as second class citizens makes programming
unnecessarily hard.

--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
There is no IGLU cabal.
http://advogato.org/person/moshez