Subject: Legendary books

From: Asaf Bartov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:08:36 +0200

Hello,

A book I've recently read that truly stands out high above the rest of
its  kind is Bruce Eckel's "Thinking In Java". It is the best language
guide  I've  ever read. It's big advantage, to me, is that it does not
underestimate  the reader, and manages to say intelligent things about
language   features.

Unlike a lot of the American programming literature, it does not stoop
to  embarrassing comments to the tune of "See? You've opened a window!
Aren't  you  proud?  See  how  easy and fun programming can be?"...

It delivers excellent example code that truly illustrates the language
features,  rather  than  try to give a cute output (another failing of
lots  of  sample  code in books) - the _source_ code is instructional,
not  the outcome.

Very  highly  recommended.  It is available on the Web, btw, (and thus
scores another point...), at http://www.eckelobjects.com

    Ijon

-- 
Ijon Tichy                          mailto:[email-masked]
Come visit the Space Barrel!        http://www.forum2.org/ijon