Subject: RE: [hackers-il] impolite advertisment?

From: Chen Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:12:06 +0200

Hi,

We can move it to linux-il's mailing list manager, like we did to our other
(formerly) egroups based groups.

Chen.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nadav Har'El [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 3:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [hackers-il] impolite advertisment?

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001, Dan Kenigsberg wrote about "[hackers-il] impolite
advertisment?":
> Question:
> 
> Did you all get the same advertisement as me along with Nadav's message?

I got a similar, but still different, one on the message I wrote:

Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Secure corporate
intranets?
 Authenticate your Web sites? Whatever
security your site needs, you'll find the perfect solution here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Bre3tC/Q56CAA/yigFAA/saFolB/TM

> Anyway, are these advertisements personalized? Do you consider such
> personalization impolite?

They seem to be different personalized in the sense that each person gets
a different ad, but I'm not sure they are targeted in the sense that someone
who's a member of both hackers-il and linux-il will start getting ads on how
to hack into linux machines, and so on.

Still, I don't like the trend of using services like egroups (yahoo now?)
for mailing lists, sourceforge for development, and hotmail for email.
All these activities were designed to be distributed, and instead we let
a small group of companies run it all for us. Is that really necessary?
Privacy issues are only part of the problem - there are other problems
too.
I assume that half of the readership of this mailing list can host this
mailing list. I would do it (if people wanted) if people will not insist
on having a searchable archive (which I haven't yet had the time to figure
out a convenient way to do). Small mailing lists like this put a very
small load on a server, and have almost non-existant security implications.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |         Friday, Aug 24 2001, 5 Elul
5761
[email-masked]
|-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |My greatest fear is that no-one will
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |remember me after I'm dead - some dead
guy

P.S. Please don't buy whatever is advertised below ;)  ||
                                                       ||
                                                       \/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 20:58:57 +0300 (IDT)

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Chen Shapira wrote:

> > To:[email-masked]

Still, those lists use mail-archives.com for archiving. I figure that many
lists rely on this server.

Does ezmlm keep a copy of all the delivered messages? (maybe not in a nice
browsable format, but something that can be converted to an archive if the
need arises)

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 06:52:58 +0300 (EEST)

> browsable format, but something that can be converted to an archive if the

It does. If you type group-base-help@hostname you'll get instructions on
how to do retrieve them by using E-mail.

But I don't see much point in moving this particular list away from
YahooGroups. From what I see, they offer a very good service, for only the
price of advertisments. The question is whether we are against the
advertisments or against relying on a concentrated service like
Yahoo-Groups.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish        [email-masked]
Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
Home E-mail:       [email-masked]

A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
what went wrong more quickly.

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 16:21:01 +0300 (IDT)

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> > > > out a convenient way to do). Smallmailing lists like this put a very
> > Still,those lists use mail-archives.com for archiving. I figure that many

What happens to the list archive if egroups gets hit by a bus?

---

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 07:55:25 +0300 (EEST)

> What happens to the list archive if egroups gets hit by a bus?

What do you mean by that? I don't really understand the metaphore.

	Shlomi Fish

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 09:43:30 +0300 (IDT)

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> > > Itdoes. If you type group-base-help@hostname you'll get instructions on

What happens if either:

* yahoo gets purchaced by the evil MS and decides that linux-related
groups are not allowed anymore (this is legal, I figure: they may change
their license terms at any time)
* yahoo stops supplying those free services
* yahoo vanishes
* A hacker doesn't like the term being misused, and thus breaks into yahoo
and removes any trace of this group ;-)
* due to some coinsidence the content of the whole archive is lost, and it
turns out that there is no valid backup at Yahoo.
* Linus Torvalds gains world domination and decides that this group is an
unnecessary competition

It's generally enough for one of those to happen...