Subject: Edsger W. Dijkstra - what has he been doing recently?

From: Omer Zak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 09:24:52 +0200 (IST)

I decided to google for information about this computer scientist.  I have
fond memories of having read stuff by him during my high school days, and
have looked toward finding fresh new ideas from him.

1) http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/ewd498.html

This is a rant from 1975 about the prevailing situation in computers.
At the time, IBM was as much in control, and was as evil as Microsoft is
today.
BASIC was then BASIC, not Visual BASIC.
People were still trying to develop programming systems, which use
English, and which are accessible to non-programmers.  Today this was
completely superseded by icon-based, visual programming.

2) http://max.cs.kzoo.edu/~jatkins/dijkstra.htm

Some of his past achievements (notice the absence of anything from 1990's
or 2000's).
                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  It was impossible to communicate with some of the
brightest minds out in the world.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html