Subject: moving the mailing list

From: Gabor Szabo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 01:50:29 +0200

As I offered on the party to^h^hlast night I have setup a mailing list 
on perl.org.il. Muli, yes it is mailman written in Python ! :-)

http://www.perl.org.il/mailman/listinfo/hackers

Its address will be [email-masked]

So if you guys would like to move the list to that server I think it is 
ready. Someone else should check it too and if it is OK then we can load 
the archive.

Muli, can we / shall we  move the subscribed users ?

How should we do the transition so no messages no users will be lost on 
the way ?

regards
    Gabor

---

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:55:32 +0200

> Its address will be [email-masked]

Can we make it hackers-il? Otherwise, people might think we're a bunch
of perl hackers *gasp* *horrors* ;-) 

> Muli, can we / shall we  move the subscribed users ?

I don't know... that requires yahoogroups know how, and I tend to
steer well away of that crap. 

> How should we do the transition so no messages no users will be lost on 

If we have online archives, some users dropping a few messages is not
big deal. 

I have an archive in mbox format of hackers-il, thanks to Adi Stav and
my .procmailrc. It currently has 3106 messages. Let me know of you
want it. 

So, does anyone have a problem with losing yahoogroups and moving to
perl.org.il?
-- 
Muli Ben-Yehuda

"The speed of light really is too slow nowdays." -- Alan Cox

---

From: Gabor Szabo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 20:56:36 +0200 (IST)

> of perl hackers *gasp* *horrors* ;-) 

Eventually you will be converted. uhm, whatever. Of course I can change it 
to hackers-il if you like to type the dash so much :-)

> steer well away of that crap. 

anyone else knows how to fetch the list of users (e-mail at least ?) from 
yahoo ?

> my .procmailrc. It currently has 3106 messages. Let me know of you

Sure. Then I can drop that in to the mailman and we have the archive 
there. Then we can announce that everyone should move.

I am not sure if I'll be able to sign up the hackers-il@perl to the yahoo 
group but if I can then we will not loose mails in the transition.

Anyway in the next 2 weeks I won't be in Israel (I also miss the RMS day)
so I'll do this only when I get back.

Gabor

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 23:52:46 +0200

> steer well away of that crap. 

It's technically possible and I think I know how to get that list if we
decide to go forward with the move.

Can I be reminded again of the advantages of such a move? While egroups
sticks those crappy ads on all of our messages, it hasn't been so bad...
It has worked quite reliably for us for a few years, and I still use
the original address - [email-masked] :)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Monday, Dec 23 2002, 19 Tevet 5763
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |You do not need a parachute to skydive.
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |You only need one to skydive twice.

---

From: Orna Agmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 21:50:01 +0200 (IST)

> group but if I can then we will not loose mails in the transition.

I thought of subscribing [email-masked] to 
[email-masked], maybe with a trick that would add some info about 
the list moving to perl.org.il.

Maybe we could insert that info to the list description on yahoo, as well.

After all, there is no chance for losing emails sent to yahoo- they are 
kept at yahoo. Evryone can go there and see them. The risk is of losing 
the new mailing list mails. So we should also subscribe mail-archive, 
unless someone has a better solution. 
 -- 
Orna.   |  http://tx.technion.ac.il/~agmon

A righteous man is a greedy capitalist,
paid in a non commercial coin.

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Dec 2002 23:11:57 +0200

> So, does anyone have a problem with losing yahoogroups and moving to

Can anyone clarify if it is hackers-il we are talking about of some
perl hackers' list? Since this appears on hackers-il, I am assuming
the former in what follows.

Can anyone enlighten me why we should move hackers-il elsewhere?
Whatever the shortcomings of hackers-il are, it works. Why fix it?

Note that there will be many consequences to the move, from references
(List of Mailing Lists on IGLU comes to mind, but it probably does not
end there) to personal mail setups (my aliases, filtering rules and
posting styles are what worries me here) to the need to move the
archives (yes, I use them, I want them in one place). Each such thing
is small and easy to fix, together it's a problem.

-- 
Oleg Goldshmidt | [email-masked]

---

From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Dec 2002 00:19:15 +0200

---

From: Gabor Szabo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 12:18:37 +0200 (IST)

> the former in what follows.

We are talking about the one and only hackers-il list that I offered to 
move to my server. I could put it on any domain so if someone registers 
hackers.org.il I can do it there. (Of course it could be done on the IGLU 
server as well but the reason I heard about why it is still on yahoo is 
that noone took the time to setup a list. So I took it. The time I mean.
I offered perl.org.il as the closest domain I have to hacking.

> Whatever the shortcomings of hackers-il are, it works. Why fix it?

Personally I don't really like Yahoo groups because of all kinds of 
shortcommings mentioned already here and because I belive at one point
in time they'll start charge money for it. Then it will be urgent to 
move the list.

Of course we can stay with Yahoo and keep the images which is a nice 
feature of Yahoo anyway.

In any case I'll remove the [email-masked] till we decide so noone 
will be confused and start sending e-mails there as well or instead of 
here. 

-- Gabor