Subject: re: next programming paradigm

From: mulix <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 12:39:14 +0300

In an interview with Alex Sepanov, one of the authors of C++'s STL, he
proclaims that Object Oriented Programming, which is how most systems
are written today (AFAIK) is a bad, misleading way to design software.

Stepanov suggests using Generic Programming. 
What is Generic Programming? 

quoting: "Generic programming is a programming method that is based in
finding the most abstract representations of efficient algorithms. That
is, you start with an algorithm and find the most general set of
requirements that allows it to perform and to perform efficiently."

http://www.stlport.org/resources/StepanovUSA.html

He also has some (not so flattering) comments on AI.
What do you think?
-- 
mulix

linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead

---

From: Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 12:10:40 +0300 (IDT)

> Stepanov suggests using Generic Programming. 

Of course, Generic Programming is contrary to polymorphism, and so one
obviously have to choose. Of course OO programming is way better --
generic programming is an optimization technique of some variants of OO, 
using compile time information instead of runtime information. C++ bigots
seem to think forcing users to help the compiler optimize is a Good
Thing(TM). Lisp hackers realize users should occasionally help the
compiler optimize, but the compiler should do as much as it can on its on.
And anyways, type safety sucks.

> He also has some (not so flattering) comments on AI.

Curious to see he understands who is real rivals are, and tries to defame
them in a pre-emptive strike. Cheap shot, really.

--
Moshe Zadka <[email-masked]>
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html
http://www.linux.org.il -- we put the penguin in .com