Subject: Site

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 19:14:21 +0300

I threw together a hackers-il site.
No special reason why, just felt like playing with Zwiki.

http://www.linux.org.il:8080/Zen/index_html

If you wonder why ots called Zen - ask omerm. He suggested the name, I just
wrote the page.

Since its ZWiki - feel free to edit it to your enjoyment. Ask me questions or
comment.
Also feel free to delete the whole thing if you think its crap.

--
Chen Shapira	Web Developer and Linux Activist
The algorithm for finding the longest path in a graph is NP-complete.
For you systems people, that means it's *real slow*.

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 20:26:01 +0300

On Thu, May 18, 2000, [email-masked] wrote about "[hackers-il] Site":
>...

Since I saw you have an essential booklist page on there, and I see that it
also contains a "general/culture" list, I'd like to suggest the following
4 books. All 4 books had a profound impact on the way I'm thinking and in
my later choices of books to read, so I wholeheartedly recommend them.

1) "Open Sources: Voices from the Open Source Revolution" - a must read.
   This book gave me a small shock, and actually I decided we must have
   some group like Ivrix after reading this book.
   [also available freely on the Internet, but if you like it consider buying
   it to support O'Reilly and the authors]
2) "The Meme Machine" by Susan Blackmore, which tries to explain what is
   different between humans and other animals, how language and communication
   came about, and how conciousness came about, and a lot of other stuff
   related to the theory of "Memes" - ideas that are copied from one person
   to another, while also mutating once in a while, just as genes are copied
   from an animal to its offspring.
   You'll especially feel at home if you're into Zen Buddhism (I guess you
   are, seeing the name of the homepage).
   [not available in Israel, as far as I know, but available in University
   libraries and in online stores]
3) "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins - one of the best popular-science
   books ever written. A must read.
   [also available in Hebrew]
4) "Shopie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy" by Jostein
   Gaarder - hides an introduction to philosophy in a mediocre-quality novel.
   It's probably one of the best introductions to philosphy you can get if
   you don't want to ready complex, thick, books. You'll want to read these
   books once you've read Shopie's World, however.
   [also available in Hebrew]

You might also want to update the list of programming books with stuff other
people suggested on the list - Knuth's books in particular were missing from
my original list.

Let's turn this list into a book club :)

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, May 18 2000, 14 Iyyar 5760
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If you lost your left arm, your right
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |arm would be left.